Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 9:14pm

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoshthereturn View Post
    The best way of getting fit for bjj is do bjj. Other than that anything is good, but focus on your core muscles as they'll get tested to hell.
    that's what my instructor told me when i asked this question! focus on the core muscle groups and stamina. hope this helps a fellow bjj newbie.

and oh, empty your stomach before training, especially when your partners' commonly used moves is knee-on-belly!:laughing7

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As said 20 times above, to prepare for BJJ do BJJ.

I think it can even be beneficial to not be in great shape before you start because then you won't be able use your fitness as a crutch.

I've seen some new people who come into our gym in great shape but take a while to learn good technique. They are fit enough to muscle their way into position or spaz out of stuff when rolling, so that's what they end up relying on when pressed. Conversely, my small size and cardio issues have taught me to concentrate hard on my defense because I don't have the energy to spare on bad technique.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2009 6:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    I've also heard good things about Andy Roberts and have read a few blogs from some of his students which seem to back this up.
    I can definitely recommend going along to Andy Roberts. Andy runs both beginner and intermediate/advanced classes. A great place to train.
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:08am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a BJJ-er but from watching people in action I think it might be a good idea to embark on a stretching program of some kind. Aside from being useful for some techniques it should also reduce the chance of injury a little.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe View Post
    For the most part, I seem to get more injuries sparring in tai chi chuan (push hands) than BJJ. At least until some guy starts cranking on my neck. Ouch.
    Does this mean you're incredibly tough or a huge *****?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 8:20pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to beat the dead horse anymore, but the best way to get fit for BJJ is BJJ. Butit would not hurt to start a different program to assist with the training. I suggest you look up Crossfit and Crossfit Endurance. The Endurance program will help prepare you for your Marathon. You have to keep Specificity in mind when training for something.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123