232660 Bullies, 4089 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 9:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As has been said, the best training for BJJ is BJJ.

However, interval sprints will do wonders for your gas tank, and the bigger your tank, the more you'll get out of each class.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    That sounds good then as I do want to do BJJ but don;t want to get injured. I know with any proper MA that Injury is always possible but at least it rules out the nasty injury's where you are thrown and land badly on an outstretched arm
    We learn ukemi for a reason bud.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 10:12am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was starting up, as an out of shape 36 year old, I was overtraining like crazy. I wanted to get into shape as quickly as possible, so I was working out at lunch 5 days/week and going to BJJ at least 4 times per week. Just going to BJJ 3 to 4 times each week helped me shed over 30 lbs.

I'd plan to go through a period where you're sore all the time. Commit to 3 months, or you'll never get past the sore, achy, nauseous stage.

Regarding injury, it's always possible, no matter what you're doing. If you're not training with stupid people, you should be about as safe as possible. I feel like I'm at less risk for injury at BJJ then about anything else I could be doing. Just stay away from the cartwheel guard pass for a while and you should be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Lurker View Post
    When I was starting up, as an out of shape 36 year old, I was overtraining like crazy. I wanted to get into shape as quickly as possible, so I was working out at lunch 5 days/week and going to BJJ at least 4 times per week. Just going to BJJ 3 to 4 times each week helped me shed over 30 lbs.

I'd plan to go through a period where you're sore all the time. Commit to 3 months, or you'll never get past the sore, achy, nauseous stage.

Regarding injury, it's always possible, no matter what you're doing. If you're not training with stupid people, you should be about as safe as possible. I feel like I'm at less risk for injury at BJJ then about anything else I could be doing. Just stay away from the cartwheel guard pass for a while and you should be fine.
    Just received an email from the instructor at http://novagen-micah.blogspot.com/ . aas this is a new place there are only a handful of guys training at the moment so hopefully this may give me an opportunity to get some 1 on 1 instruction.
    I'll go have a watch first and let you know how things progress

A

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 11:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just received an email from the instructor at http://novagen-micah.blogspot.com/as this is a new place there are only a handful of guys training at the moment so hopefully this may give me an opportunity to get some 1 on 1 instruction.
    I'll go have a watch first and let you know how things progress
    Micah sounds solid and, though I haven't trained at Nova Forca, I've seen and rolled with plenty of guys from there who are bloody good (including being on the wrong end of a gritty come-from-behind victory against one of their fighters who I'm 10 pounds heavier than last weekend).

I'd try both those places and see which you prefer if I was you. Andy Roberts also has a good reputation, so I'd try him too if it's within striking distance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:02pm

Style: shotokai/bjj/MT/ex-BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That sounds good then as I do want to do BJJ but don;t want to get injured. I know with any proper MA that Injury is always possible but at least it rules out the nasty injury's where you are thrown and land badly on an outstretched arm

if you don't want to get injured, tap. Tap often, don't try to power out of things, you'll hurt yourself. Tap. Take a second to ask where you went wrong. Roll again.

I've had less in juries from BJJ than karate,kickboxing and bujinkan and none of them spar at full strength at my level. Generally the only bits of injuries I've had are from a noob panicking occasionally, or me sitting up when someone's going for north south and getting a shoulder in my face (Doh!) and none of them were more than scuffs.

Oh and i'll admit i was terrified when i first went to a bjj school, i imagined that everyone would be out to break my arm or something silly. The exact opposite was true. Everyone wanted to help me get better, that way i'd be more of a challenge for them, and they could improve.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 3:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoshthereturn View Post
    if you don't want to get injured, tap. Tap often, don't try to power out of things, you'll hurt yourself. Tap. Take a second to ask where you went wrong. Roll again.

I've had less in juries from BJJ than karate,kickboxing and bujinkan and none of them spar at full strength at my level. Generally the only bits of injuries I've had are from a noob panicking occasionally, or me sitting up when someone's going for north south and getting a shoulder in my face (Doh!) and none of them were more than scuffs.

Oh and i'll admit i was terrified when i first went to a bjj school, i imagined that everyone would be out to break my arm or something silly. The exact opposite was true. Everyone wanted to help me get better, that way i'd be more of a challenge for them, and they could improve.

Thats good advice about tapping. Powering out of a submission will only work so long because either I will face someone stronger or after 5 minutes of rolling I will tire. What i remember about the few BJJ classes that I took sometime ago was that everyone was friendly, even if some of them looked like they are carved out of stone. I liked the fact that everyone at the end of a class all shock hands and slapped each other on the back, in a Manly way of course (he says in a deep Manly voice).

I've also heard good things about Andy Roberts and have read a few blogs from some of his students which seem to back this up.

With regards to getting fit for BJJ, I know the best way to get fit for it is to do BJJ. I guess what i'm also after is the best type of workout I can do when i'm not doing BJJ which will help me. I've always been in to free weights and am fairly strong but recently i've been doing more cardio and some Strength and conditioning training and wondered if my workout which I posted earlier was on the right lines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 11:01pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really no use. Unless you already wrestle, you're going to gas out. You're about to use muscles you've never really taxed before. Go in, try to make it through warm-ups, go easy during rolling, and don't try to bench-press your way out of unfavorable positions - it just doesn't work. The best way to get fit for bjj is bjj. You're about to go through hell, but it gets better every week until one day you will be fit enough to actually enjoy your classes. I suggest starting out 2x per week and increasing as you're able.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 3:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    don't try to bench-press your way out of unfavorable positions - it just doesn't work.

for a long time my only escape was bench pressing them off me.. occasionally it works but first hand i wouldn't advise it (you wont be in any shape to continue after the first few times)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    for a long time my only escape was bench pressing them off me.. occasionally it works but first hand i wouldn't advise it (you wont be in any shape to continue after the first few times)
    Yeah good advice indeed. I remember from my Judo days benching people off me but then my instructor, who was 20 stone just laughed when I tried it on him

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 1:19pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the most part, I seem to get more injuries sparring in tai chi chuan (push hands) than BJJ. At least until some guy starts cranking on my neck. Ouch.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast