Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 9:41pm

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For my fellow Fioreists

YouTube - Medieval Combat Italian Longsword - Student Guide Level 1

The trailer of a new DVD by Colin Richards, a Fioreist who runs a HEMA school called the Arts of Mars. I've also got his book about Fiore's Abrazare and Daga plays. If what he says about his martial arts backround is true then I have to say I think the DVD is definitely worth looking into.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THAT'S where one of my guys got the "I must start training with a pell" thing from.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Longsword, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen much from this organization, but here are a few things by judging only from this video:

1) Energy and intent is hardly there. They're not committing to their strikes as if they're trying to kill someone--which is what the techniques were meant for. The first few small clips show the guy in black slouching his left hand, the absolute slowest takedown I've ever seen (seriously), and just an overall "lazy" appearance imo.

2) Footwork: They show the fundamental principles, but you can tell at 0:45 and 3:30 their footwork is unstable. If these are just flukes that happen every now and then, then they probably shouldn't be showing them for a dvd ad...

3) Can't tell too well from angle, but it looks like they're edge-bashing!

2cents. I personally would not recommend the dvd based on this video alone, but I haven't looked much into their organization's other material.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 4:01pm

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ningirsu View Post
    I haven't seen much from this organization, but here are a few things by judging only from this video:

1) Energy and intent is hardly there. They're not committing to their strikes as if they're trying to kill someone--which is what the techniques were meant for. The first few small clips show the guy in black slouching his left hand, the absolute slowest takedown I've ever seen (seriously), and just an overall "lazy" appearance imo.

2) Footwork: They show the fundamental principles, but you can tell at 0:45 and 3:30 their footwork is unstable. If these are just flukes that happen every now and then, then they probably shouldn't be showing them for a dvd ad...

3) Can't tell too well from angle, but it looks like they're edge-bashing!

2cents. I personally would not recommend the dvd based on this video alone, but I haven't looked much into their organization's other material.

From what I understand he has a good reputation among the European HEMA scene. Also this is also meant to be a beginner level piece. So maybe that has something to do with it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ningirsu View Post

To be fair, these are controlled technical demonstrations, not sparring matches or real fights. They're also seen out of context in this promo. clip; presumably, in the actual instructional DVD, there's a voiceover or somesuch pointing out the technical details of the movements, which is a good reason not to move so fast that the viewer can't see those details.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 11:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Longsword, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    To be fair, these are controlled technical demonstrations, not sparring matches or real fights. They're also seen out of context in this promo. clip; presumably, in the actual instructional DVD, there's a voiceover or somesuch pointing out the technical details of the movements, which is a good reason not to move so fast that the viewer can't see those details.
    That's what I figured was the case.

I guess it's just me, but I like my instructional videos to show at least one demonstration of a move in its full speed and intent. :happy8:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the actual DVD does do that. I agree that it would have been good marketing to show a bit of full-speed action in the promo. clip.