222413 Bullies, 4946 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MProctor View Post
    Scan my certs? Really? I'm a purple belt lol. I'm not a black belt trying to sell a lie. I'd like to know where you train and what your qualifications are. Scan your certs. Do you run an academy 6 days per week? Do you train under Professor Monteiro? If not, then I think you need to give it up. Unless you are man enough to come on in, I have already answered your questions.
    I would recommend reading this thread first on Bullshidoka Arguments:

Bullshidoka Arguments - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Specifically, this post:

No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - Bullshidoka Arguments

Incidentally, the post is actually mine. The jist of it is that there is no harm in doing so whatsoever.

Also, you noted that regardless of your qualifications, qualifications of your instructor shouldn't be questioned. That is to see that since the instructor is legit, the student is legit. In most cases, this is true, but unfortunately, we've been coming across this problem:

Brandon Quick - 10th Planet Jiujitsu - Fake Brown Belt - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Its a Sad Day Part 2 - 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu Online Training - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

I'm speaking hypothetically here but just as the above threads show, it could be the case where your instructor, trying to expand his organization, is being a bit "lax" on standards. I'm not saying that is the case but it is one of the things that is garnering this thread a lot of attention. You may be a willing/unwilling participant.

It is also one of the reasons why testing tends to be frowned on in BJJ. There are many who feel you are either that rank or you are not. From your previous message, you felt that this was an unacceptable way to learn. On the other side of the coin, there are those who are just plain good at taking tests, regardless of whether they know the material or not.

I personally like this method better because it allows a person's game to development naturally without the added pressure of the whole "it's time for your test, gotta get ready, gotta get prepared, gotta train, gotta study" pressure that comes with it. Trust me, most of us have more on our plate to worry about than that. I can maybe see it as a benefit in your case when your primary instructor is not there to train under consistently so he/she may require additional means such as testing to evaluate you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    This seems to contradict the earlier post you made.
    I am curious as to how you went from mid-level blue to purple in three months. Did you vastly improve in that time, does your new instructor disagree with your previous instructor's assessment of your skill, does your new instructor have different criteria?
    Thank you for the direct question without coming across as hostile. Yes, my instructor disagreed with my ranking as a two stripe blue. Yes he has different criteria. All instructors do. Did I go to him for this reason, absolutely not. I went to him as I was. I do believe that I vastly improved very quickly once I began instructing and traveling to other schools. I received my purple belt so I obviously worked hard.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the thing Micheal, by your own admition Bing and Calvo progressed faster than you in BJJ. When you left, they were three and four stripe blue belts, but just recently recived their purple belts, while you are a three-stripe purple belt. Somehow you leap-frogged and completely outpaced their progress and I'm baffled as to how. How did you find Professor Montiero and how did he help you make this huge progression?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    Here's the thing Micheal, by your own admition Bing and Calvo progressed faster than you in BJJ. When you left, they were three and four stripe blue belts, but just recently recived their purple belts, while you are a three-stripe purple belt. Somehow you leap-frogged and completely outpaced their progress and I'm baffled as to how. How did you find Professor Montiero and how did he help you make this huge progression?
    I am not going on trial for being a purple belt and I refuse to communicate any further on this thread because a few guys from my old school disagree with my ranking. I've been in contact with my former instructor James Foster regarding this thread. He will be posting on this thread at his earliest conveinence.
    This thread has gotten too far out of hand and is now questioning my integrity, my hard work and most importantly my Professor. Gamebred Jiu-Jitsu is the only MCMBJJ Association in WA State and deserves the respect of every other BJJ Association. I am what I am. I'm not hiding behind anything, I honor open invitations to come see me in person. Rumors and gossip have no place in this art and sport that is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It damages the community as a whole.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not disagreeing with your ranking. I haven't seen you in a long time. We're not trying to put you on trial. I just want to know how you were able to acccomplish something like that if for no other reason that to do what you did.

If someone tells you, 'Hey, I just went from a two-stripe blue belt to a three-stripe purple belt in 10 months!' Wouldn't you want to know how?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not disagreeing with your ranking. I haven't seen you in a long time. We're not trying to put you on trial. I just want to know how you were able to acccomplish something like that if for no other reason that to do what you did.

If someone tells you, 'Hey, I just went from a two-stripe blue belt to a three-stripe purple belt in 10 months!' Wouldn't you want to know how?
    I understand. That is definitely something that you could ask me in person if you do in fact know me. You are welcome to come see me anytime, take a look at my ceritficates and talk, mabye even roll.
    Gossip is just that, gossip. No one knows where I've gone and what I've done unless they ask. Beginning a thread on Bullshido of all places is the wrong way to go about this. I have a phone and an open door.
    What I can tell you here and now is that it wasn't an easy journey within the last year. I trained hard and with many people. I took the initiative to go out and learn and meet all that I could. If you want to know more come in and see me. I've never paid for a rank in my life. I've never paid for a test. I commit to myself and I set goals. I'm a purple belt. I have so much more to learn and so much further to go. The BJJ journey never ends. These are things that I teach my own students.
    Every instructor has their own curriculum. Questioning it is disrespectful. Questioning me about my accomplishments is fine, but do it personally, not on a thread that damages a community or an individual that doesn't deserve it.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 4:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any reason you don't want to answer this question on an open forum?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 4:13pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every instructor has their own curriculum. Questioning it is disrespectful. Questioning me about my accomplishments is fine, but do it personally, not on a thread that damages a community or an individual that doesn't deserve it.
    This is where we profoundly disagree. People can indeed have flawed criteria for bjj ranks. For example, both the Gracie Academy and 10th planet now will grade people to particular ranks (up to purple) based on video submissions. That is a very, very bad practice and questioning it is in the best interest of the bjj community.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 4:15pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand. That is definitely something that you could ask me in person if you do in fact know me. You are welcome to come see me anytime, take a look at my ceritficates and talk, mabye even roll.

Again, why not just post the certificates here and be done with it?

Gossip is just that, gossip. No one knows where I've gone and what I've done unless they ask. Beginning a thread on Bullshido of all places is the wrong way to go about this. I have a phone and an open door.
    …and there is the internet. Welcome to 2009. Why not just answer the questions here and provide the proof?

What I can tell you here and now is that it wasn't an easy journey within the last year. I trained hard and with many people. I took the initiative to go out and learn and meet all that I could. If you want to know more come in and see me. I've never paid for a rank in my life. I've never paid for a test. I commit to myself and I set goals. I'm a purple belt. I have so much more to learn and so much further to go. The BJJ journey never ends. These are things that I teach my own students.
    Great thanks for sharing.

Every instructor has their own curriculum. Questioning it is disrespectful.
    No it’s not, that statement is something many TMA McDojo’s have been hiding behind for many years. Let me ask it to you this way: What was your test to get to purple belt? Please provide as much details as possible.

Questioning me about my accomplishments is fine, but do it personally, not on a thread that damages a community or an individual that doesn't deserve it.
    The only thing damaging on this thread so far is you avoiding questions and hiding behind the fact that this is the internet and not “in person”. Again really, what’s the difference, this is here and now, why are you being so difficult?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any reason you don't want to answer this question on an open forum?
    Yes there is. I am not the only guy in the world that has progressed at my level. In fact, they are everywhere. Just because one guy or group of individuals wants to know something, or think they know something does not give them the right to post a thread about another person on Bullshido. This is a serious thing because Bullshido has ruined people for no good reason other than the pleasure of a few.
    I can sit here all day and respond to everything that is questioned but it will never stop. It is slander. When it goes so far as to accuse an entire association such as ours of "selling" or "buying" ranks it has gone too far.
    Monteiro or his Professors Carlos Gracie and De La Riva would take this very seriously and it would not go well.
    Things that can be questioned in person should not be on Bullshido. There is no "Bullshido" involved.
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast