Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    You said you haven't competed as a purple belt. What does "I'm a successful purple belt" mean in this case?

It's a serious question. Mostly it's spurred by the fact that your decision "not to play defense" is a red flag for pretty much anyone. People have been very polite and are asking totally reasonable questions.
    No problem. What I meant by "I'm a successful purple belt" is that I have worked hard. I did not "buy" my rank. There's no need for defense. I earned what I have and I have a successful academy of students.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MProctor View Post
    No problem. What I meant by "I'm a successful purple belt" is that I have worked hard. I did not "buy" my rank. There's no need for defense. I earned what I have and I have a successful academy of students.
    Understood. Thanks.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been 10 months since January 2009?
    I'm sorry, I was counting from October when I left Fosters. Correction... 7 almost 8 months now since January.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am honoring an open invitation to anyone that would like to come roll and test me out. Questioning me about my purple belt which I earned and then the stripes that followed is not something that I can control, however; I can invite you to come roll and say hello. I'm not "mad" about this thread, it's a good thing to clear up if there are people questioning me. I don't claim to be anything I'm not. I know I have worked extremely hard and built an academy under Professor Marcello Monteiro. If you question his curriculum and/or my abilities you are more than welcome to come by.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am disappointed that you chose to ignore some of the requests made by the posters after you offered to provide the proof you are now withholding.

On a side note, do you think it is normal to advance from a 2 stripe blue to a 3 stripe purple within 10 months?
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    I am disappointed that you chose to ignore some of the requests made by the posters after you offered to provide the proof you are now withholding.

On a side note, do you think it is normal to advance from a 2 stripe blue to a 3 stripe purple within 10 months?
    I am sorry you are disappointed and think that I am "withholding" proof. What proof am I "withholding"? An open invitation to come into our academy is the best proof I know of. Without having exact dates in my pocket I have answered questions to the best of my ability. You are more than welcome to come look at the wall in my office if you need exact dates and photos.

I went from a purple belt to three stripes in 7 months. Do I think that it is normal? Sure, for some. No for others. I'm a full time instructor and I train 6 days per week. It's natural for me to learn a curriculum faster than a normal student because I teach it. I teach what is set forth for me and I test on it myself. It is not abnormal to go from White Belt to Black Belt in 6 years these days. This was told to me by Professor Monteiro himself. If you question what he says, you may come speak to him in October.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not abnormal to go from White Belt to Black Belt in 6 years these days. This was told to me by Professor Monteiro himself.
    This is very interesting. In his or your opinion, is this a natural evolution, or a function of the time on the mat people spend these days? Or something else?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is very interesting. Is this a natural evolution in his or your opinion, or a function of the time on the mat people spend these days? Or something else?
    I believe both. It's a natural evolution and time on the mats combined.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to say that makes sense in terms of training full time. If I had 8-10 months of training bascially full time i'd be purple by then (starting at 2 stripe blue). But you should understand Mike, that, that is not the norm. Especially without specific grappling competition experience.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained under James Foster up to my two stripe blue belt.
    I began training at other schools around August 2008.
    I left Fosters in October 2008.
    I received my Purple belt in January of 2009.

So, if I'm following, you were a 2-stripe bluebelt in October and got your purple in January? So three months?

I'm going to leave this one alone with regard to saying that I "buy my rank". I have never paid for a rank in my life. Assuming so is very disrespectful. You sound like a very angry person, kind of like one of the guys who caused me to leave Fosters in the first place. It's sad that the BJJ community has people like this. I wish I never had to leave James Foster, unfortunately it was only a handful of his students that caused me to depart. It seems as though they are taking full advantage of this thread.

Get your facts straight. There's no need to hide behind a keyboard.
    We're trying to get facts straight. Anyway, my post addressed a more fundamental point: Time in is least important aspect of belt ranking, your post suggested otherwise. That is wrong and leads to crappy brown and black belts.

Frankly the fact that you go from a mid-level blue to a purple in three months (while simultaneously sacrificing your own mat time by teaching more) smells bad.
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast