Our Sponsors:

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 2:36am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a long thread on MMA Underground (ATAMA BJJ) where several people accused Marcello Monteiro selling belts. If this is true then anybody who receives a belt from Marcello will be scrutinized for sure. Getting a brown belt in 6 years is questionable in my book. **** I don't give away purple belts unless they have 5 years of hard training in so getting a brown in 6 makes me shake my head.

Also taking pics with other peoples medals around the neck is ridiculous for sure. I have never placed my student's medals around my neck not even as a joke and that makes as much sense as placing someone's college class ring on my finger and then taking a pic of me wearing it....I did not earn it so why in the **** would I be wearing it.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....1&page=1&pc=95

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 2:50am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops double post...disregard
    Last edited by Team Python; 12/04/2012 3:00am at . Reason: double post

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 3:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Getting a brown belt in 6 years is questionable in my book. **** I don't give away purple belts unless they have 5 years of hard training in so getting a brown in 6 makes me shake my head.
    Not to derail the thread too entirely, but my instructor, bullshido member Caseyboy, got his blackbelt in just over 6 years from none other than Jacare, so...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 11:09pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Lurker View Post
    If this post is disjointed, I apologize up front. I'm typing it on an iPad.

When I started training in November 2006, he was a one stripe white belt. He left as a blue belt, went and trained with a guy in puyallup at what was called team psycho, where he was awarded his purple belt. My impression at the time is that he was frustrated at not being promoted under James foster, but that's just my impression as another student. I speak for neither James nor mike.

I've never had a problem with mike, personally, but his reputation in the local drama scene is mixed as one could probably tell from this thread alone.

Regarding his purple belt, Team psycho was run by shon baker, who turned out to be a convicted level 3 sex offender with dubious bjj credentials. www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php?topic=88178.0

To mike's credit, he severed ties with them immediately and found a legit Bjj black belt to associate with in Montiero. I don't know how or where he met prof. Montiero, but he ended up getting his purple belt affirmed as has been shown already. I don't think there's any reason to doubt that his brown and black belt were also legit. Once again, my impression only, but even though mike did the right thing here, the fallout from this association is part of the lingering issues he has locally. Some people have long memories, right or wrong.

The only thing that seems off in his bio is that he claims to compete and coach at tournaments all over the nation. Mike's school isn't very active locally at the tournaments, although they do take part. The revolution is the biggest tournament in the Seattle area, and he usually has a few competitors. Most are kids, but there are a few who compete as adults. That said, I haven't seen mike compete in a tournament since he was a blue belt, but again, I haven't made a point to scour the registration at every tournament. I know he hasn't competed at any of the "revolution" tournaments in this area. He may travel, I guess. Does someone have to compete to legitimately hold rank? I guess that depends. i don't personally think so, but thats me, but he does allege it in his bio.

Bottom line, his rank is legit, as far as it can be, unless anyone doubts prof. Montiero's credentials. He's goofed a few times, burned several bridges, and there are more than a few people in the local scene who don't like or respect him. But his school is legit. The rest is just Bjj soap opera politics.
    You're right it is just soap opera politics. However, it just doesn't seem right to go from a purple belt in 2009 to a black belt in 2012? 3 years? No competition record to speak of? His professor is in Indianapolis? How is he getting his instruction? Just seems suspect. But hey, he's a black belt. He's got his association. Whatever, he's no prodigy. But hey, I'm just a hater.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 11:17am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmygraham35 View Post
    You're right it is just soap opera politics. However, it just doesn't seem right to go from a purple belt in 2009 to a black belt in 2012? 3 years? No competition record to speak of? His professor is in Indianapolis? How is he getting his instruction? Just seems suspect. But hey, he's a black belt. He's got his association. Whatever, he's no prodigy. But hey, I'm just a hater.
    I want to be very clear. I haven't rolled with Mike since we were blue belts. I have no idea whether or not he "deserves" the promotions. I do think it's fast, but that's my opinion, which means very, very little. I am still a one stripe purple belt, and will likely be one for a long, long time.

As I see it, there are two legitimate issues, and the rest is pointless or is already settled.

One is whether Professor Montiero is "selling belts." Is there any basis to this? I don't know, but if you're alleging it, post some proof.

The other is that Mike alleges in his bio that he "currently competes and coaches in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) events throughout the United States." I haven't seen any evidence that he competes in either BJJ or MMA events. He may. As I said, I haven't thought much about this thread until TowTruck posted the pictures from up in Seattle. I don't think he's competed in any BJJ or MMA events in the Seattle area in at least the last 3 or so years, but he may very well compete elsewhere.

Other than that, it's just regional politics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 10:45pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you Lurker, that it's just regional politics. I have no proof that he is not legit. I do know a couple of guys that train with him. A purple belt that used to train with them left Mike and headed to GB in Federal Way. My personal experience with him definitely soured me on him and his team. It just strikes me as odd that you can go from purple to brown to black in 3 years. I think most guys that get belts fast, have tremendous competition records and become well known for their skill on the mat. Mike has no record locally at the Rev or NW Submission Challenge in Idaho or at the subleague in Oregon or any other local tournaments in the last 5 years. Again, just odd. Like I said, I'm really just a hater. No disrespect towards Lurker or anyone else that's posted. This is all just directed at Mike Proctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2012 12:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....1&page=1&pc=95[/QUOTE]

I just read this whole link. That dude Fuzzy nails it on the head with what happened at BJJ Tacoma. He laid out the steps to get promoted in this association. It's just a shame.

This is the type of black belt coming from this association.

http://uscombatsports.com/index.php?...970&Itemid=111
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021