Page 21 of 21 First ... 111718192021
  1. #201

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    320
    Style
    BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a long thread on MMA Underground (ATAMA BJJ) where several people accused Marcello Monteiro selling belts. If this is true then anybody who receives a belt from Marcello will be scrutinized for sure. Getting a brown belt in 6 years is questionable in my book. **** I don't give away purple belts unless they have 5 years of hard training in so getting a brown in 6 makes me shake my head.

    Also taking pics with other peoples medals around the neck is ridiculous for sure. I have never placed my student's medals around my neck not even as a joke and that makes as much sense as placing someone's college class ring on my finger and then taking a pic of me wearing it....I did not earn it so why in the **** would I be wearing it.



    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....1&page=1&pc=95

  2. #202

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    320
    Style
    BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops double post...disregard
    Last edited by Team Python; 12/04/2012 3:00am at . Reason: double post

  3. #203
    Kintanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683
    Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Getting a brown belt in 6 years is questionable in my book. **** I don't give away purple belts unless they have 5 years of hard training in so getting a brown in 6 makes me shake my head.
    Not to derail the thread too entirely, but my instructor, bullshido member Caseyboy, got his blackbelt in just over 6 years from none other than Jacare, so...

  4. #204

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Lurker View Post
    If this post is disjointed, I apologize up front. I'm typing it on an iPad.

    When I started training in November 2006, he was a one stripe white belt. He left as a blue belt, went and trained with a guy in puyallup at what was called team psycho, where he was awarded his purple belt. My impression at the time is that he was frustrated at not being promoted under James foster, but that's just my impression as another student. I speak for neither James nor mike.

    I've never had a problem with mike, personally, but his reputation in the local drama scene is mixed as one could probably tell from this thread alone.

    Regarding his purple belt, Team psycho was run by shon baker, who turned out to be a convicted level 3 sex offender with dubious bjj credentials. www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php?topic=88178.0

    To mike's credit, he severed ties with them immediately and found a legit Bjj black belt to associate with in Montiero. I don't know how or where he met prof. Montiero, but he ended up getting his purple belt affirmed as has been shown already. I don't think there's any reason to doubt that his brown and black belt were also legit. Once again, my impression only, but even though mike did the right thing here, the fallout from this association is part of the lingering issues he has locally. Some people have long memories, right or wrong.

    The only thing that seems off in his bio is that he claims to compete and coach at tournaments all over the nation. Mike's school isn't very active locally at the tournaments, although they do take part. The revolution is the biggest tournament in the Seattle area, and he usually has a few competitors. Most are kids, but there are a few who compete as adults. That said, I haven't seen mike compete in a tournament since he was a blue belt, but again, I haven't made a point to scour the registration at every tournament. I know he hasn't competed at any of the "revolution" tournaments in this area. He may travel, I guess. Does someone have to compete to legitimately hold rank? I guess that depends. i don't personally think so, but thats me, but he does allege it in his bio.

    Bottom line, his rank is legit, as far as it can be, unless anyone doubts prof. Montiero's credentials. He's goofed a few times, burned several bridges, and there are more than a few people in the local scene who don't like or respect him. But his school is legit. The rest is just Bjj soap opera politics.
    You're right it is just soap opera politics. However, it just doesn't seem right to go from a purple belt in 2009 to a black belt in 2012? 3 years? No competition record to speak of? His professor is in Indianapolis? How is he getting his instruction? Just seems suspect. But hey, he's a black belt. He's got his association. Whatever, he's no prodigy. But hey, I'm just a hater.

  5. #205

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Covington, WA
    Posts
    126
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmygraham35 View Post
    You're right it is just soap opera politics. However, it just doesn't seem right to go from a purple belt in 2009 to a black belt in 2012? 3 years? No competition record to speak of? His professor is in Indianapolis? How is he getting his instruction? Just seems suspect. But hey, he's a black belt. He's got his association. Whatever, he's no prodigy. But hey, I'm just a hater.
    I want to be very clear. I haven't rolled with Mike since we were blue belts. I have no idea whether or not he "deserves" the promotions. I do think it's fast, but that's my opinion, which means very, very little. I am still a one stripe purple belt, and will likely be one for a long, long time.

    As I see it, there are two legitimate issues, and the rest is pointless or is already settled.

    One is whether Professor Montiero is "selling belts." Is there any basis to this? I don't know, but if you're alleging it, post some proof.

    The other is that Mike alleges in his bio that he "currently competes and coaches in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) events throughout the United States." I haven't seen any evidence that he competes in either BJJ or MMA events. He may. As I said, I haven't thought much about this thread until TowTruck posted the pictures from up in Seattle. I don't think he's competed in any BJJ or MMA events in the Seattle area in at least the last 3 or so years, but he may very well compete elsewhere.

    Other than that, it's just regional politics.

  6. #206

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you Lurker, that it's just regional politics. I have no proof that he is not legit. I do know a couple of guys that train with him. A purple belt that used to train with them left Mike and headed to GB in Federal Way. My personal experience with him definitely soured me on him and his team. It just strikes me as odd that you can go from purple to brown to black in 3 years. I think most guys that get belts fast, have tremendous competition records and become well known for their skill on the mat. Mike has no record locally at the Rev or NW Submission Challenge in Idaho or at the subleague in Oregon or any other local tournaments in the last 5 years. Again, just odd. Like I said, I'm really just a hater. No disrespect towards Lurker or anyone else that's posted. This is all just directed at Mike Proctor.

  7. #207

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....1&page=1&pc=95[/QUOTE]


    I just read this whole link. That dude Fuzzy nails it on the head with what happened at BJJ Tacoma. He laid out the steps to get promoted in this association. It's just a shame.

    This is the type of black belt coming from this association.

    http://uscombatsports.com/index.php?...970&Itemid=111

  8. #208

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    53
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Love me or hate me, but please debate me.

    If you're a member of the public eye, you have to contend with rumors and lies and people will write what they want to suit their own agenda. Reserve judgment before making a decision and try to see things for yourself, rather than believing everything you hear or read.


    I've worked very hard for everything I've achieved in life. Whether somebody likes me or not, agrees or disagrees, that's not my problem or concern. Anybody is welcome to visit my academy and train with me. I love sharing techniques and knowledge on the mat. We even hold Community Open Mats at my academy on Saturdays and all affiliations are welcome.

    Concerning my team and competitions, we actually compete almost every month or two. Locally we always attend the Sub League, we're always at Revolution and we'll do NAGA's and anything else in the area. Nationally our team is competing all over the world. Our association has been growing tremendously over the last few years and we have amazing Black Belts. Not everybody is a World Champion, but everybody doesn't necessarily want to be either. As far as myself competing, I've competed at every rank accept Brown Belt, because I was really focused on building my academy, traveling for training and working on my career. My last competition was Five Grappling in 2014 @ Black Belt. I had two matches and took 3rd out of four amazing competitors. I actually tore my ACL in my first match and continued on, but it's taken me almost 3 years to recover and my knee still isn't the same. I've been a Black Belt a little over 5 years now, learning more and more every day. I'm 38 years old and the plan has always been to compete again. Between running a big academy, so many students and two children of my own time is scarce, but I'm not in a rush and I don't need to defend my Jiu-Jitsu, because my Jiu-Jitsu does not need defending.

    What you think you know you probably don't, so next time just give me a call.

  9. #209
    PDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,323
    Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MProctor View Post
    If you're a member of the public eye, you have to contend with rumors and lies and people will write what they want to suit their own agenda. Reserve judgment before making a decision and try to see things for yourself, rather than believing everything you hear or read.


    I've worked very hard for everything I've achieved in life. Whether somebody likes me or not, agrees or disagrees, that's not my problem or concern. Anybody is welcome to visit my academy and train with me. I love sharing techniques and knowledge on the mat. We even hold Community Open Mats at my academy on Saturdays and all affiliations are welcome.

    Concerning my team and competitions, we actually compete almost every month or two. Locally we always attend the Sub League, we're always at Revolution and we'll do NAGA's and anything else in the area. Nationally our team is competing all over the world. Our association has been growing tremendously over the last few years and we have amazing Black Belts. Not everybody is a World Champion, but everybody doesn't necessarily want to be either. As far as myself competing, I've competed at every rank accept Brown Belt, because I was really focused on building my academy, traveling for training and working on my career. My last competition was Five Grappling in 2014 @ Black Belt. I had two matches and took 3rd out of four amazing competitors. I actually tore my ACL in my first match and continued on, but it's taken me almost 3 years to recover and my knee still isn't the same. I've been a Black Belt a little over 5 years now, learning more and more every day. I'm 38 years old and the plan has always been to compete again. Between running a big academy, so many students and two children of my own time is scarce, but I'm not in a rush and I don't need to defend my Jiu-Jitsu, because my Jiu-Jitsu does not need defending.

    What you think you know you probably don't, so next time just give me a call.
    Who was your teacher between purple and black and how often were you training with them?
    King without a crown

  10. #210

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1
    Style
    Layman
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Just my observations...

    I recently started researching places in my area to, possibly, start taking Jiu Jitsu classes. While doing my research I found Tacoma BJJ, the school's website, as well as it's list of instructors. Because I know nothing about anything to do with BJJ, I Googled the professor, Michael Proctor, to see if I could find out more about him and his history. While doing that I found this forum and this thread. After reading the entire thing (which was a bit tedious as the site was loading very slowly) I decided to visit his studio (gym, dojo.... I am not 100% sure on the proper terminology), as well as several other in the area.

    I dropped by the "fundamentals" class taking place on Monday evening. I showed up right at the beginning of class as I wanted to see how a BJJ class went because I had, absolutely, no idea. The studio (again, I dont know if this is correct terminology) was very clean and organized, had multiple changing rooms as well as two bathrooms (one for guys, one for girls). I sat down on an available bench and was immediately approached by a Purple belt, who introduced himself as Nathan, and asked if there was anything that he could help me with. I told him that I was just there to watch a class and see how a BJJ class went. He responded "great, have a seat on any of the benches and check things out." He also informed me that since the class was about to start that nobody would really be able to talk to me and answer any questions for about an hour. I recognized professor Michael from his pictures on the website and watched him lead the class. Afterwards, Nathan approached me and asked how I liked what I saw. I told him that I knew nothing about anything and just wanted to get an idea. He told me that the best way to know if BJJ was for me was to take a class. He said that that would be the best way to really get a feel for it and know if it was something that I might like or not. He told me that I could take a free class to try things out, with no obligation, and that I just needed to email the professor the schedule a time. He asked if I had any other questions, which I didn't, and then I left.

    Now, I am will be the first to say that I know nothing about BJJ, the teachings of it, or the way classes are run. And I know that the way a facility looks and how a class is run has nothing to do with credentials, belts, BJJ expertise, competition experience, or actual training level, which is what this whole thread seems to be about. What I can say is that everything about the place seemed to be professional. Everyone was very respectful (teachers and students), the class seemed to follow a format, a technique was shown and then practiced (everyone paired off to practice), professor Michael observed the technique being practiced and advised of corrections if needed, after awhile another technique was given and then practiced, and then there was plenty of roll time. Students switched partners in between 5 minute "rounds" and professor Michael was there for anybody with a question and rolled with individual students himself. At the end of the class everyone lined up, shook hands with everyone else, and class was dismissed.

    Again, I know this has nothing to do with credentials or training experience. It is just my observations while researching somewhere to, possibly, train. I can say that several places that I visited did have a "McDojo" feel to them and many wanted me to sign up to be allowed to take a "free" class. Tacoma BJJ did not feel like this nor ask me to sign up for anything. The place seemed very professional and as if professor Michael knew what he was doing.

    This is just my .02 and thought that I would share.

Page 21 of 21 First ... 111718192021

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in