Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by white_kimbo View Post
    so, is it possible to complete a blue belt curriculum and move into purple and then get some attaboys on your belt if the stripes mean something different to that instructor?
    Good question. What do stripes mean to Montiero. But still, from when I last saw him to being a purple belt is a huge leap to make in 3 months. Unless, Monteiro has a different criteria for the purple belt.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    true. it would be acceptable to say purple is based on mastery of curriculum. it would also be acceptable to say a blue knows the entire curriculum, and a purple has a proven competition record. another acceptable statement would be that the blue knew the entire curriculum, wasn't the best competitor, but had amazing coaching potential.

and it could be that giving green = getting purple. not saying it happened in this case, but it does happen, unfortunately.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 11:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only people who know are Mikey and his instructor. Any speculation without speaking to either of them in person is pointless. Someone lock this thread and let it die.

Coach Foster

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 1:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why Bullshido is hated and loved, threads are rarely locked or deleted.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    Good question. What do stripes mean to Montiero. But still, from when I last saw him to being a purple belt is a huge leap to make in 3 months. Unless, Monteiro has a different criteria for the purple belt.
    This is one of the things I brought up earlier. M. Porter stated that his new instructor did indeed have different criteria and thus implicitly disagreed with Foster's ranking of him.

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 10:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI for anyone questioning Mikeys purple belt

I was there (and grappled 1 of 15 rounds) when Mikey recieved his "long overdue" purple belt from the coach we no longer mention in our circles. Mikey is a good friend of mine and has been to my school for tournaments, seminars, fights UFC parties and so on... If you look on his myspace (or ShawnDees?) there are pictures of the belt promotion.

Now for a couple of issues I have now with this discussion:

1. So what if he obtained rank a 'faster' then the normal student. BJ Penn obtained his Black Belt in 3 years vs. the 10 years it takes traditionally in BJJ. Guess he is a fake, too. Why don't you start a thread against BJ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.J._Penn

2. As far as testing for belts in any style of martial arts, it serves several purposes. One, it is a great check point for instructors/students to see actual progress. Two, it is a great motivational tool for the student. Three, information is easiest to learn when it is broken into smaller segments instead of memorizing 100's of techniques before the next belt (if at all). Four, until you are in business for yourself and paying the rent, utilities, advertising, employees, taxes, travel, merchandise and so on, please don't preach about people 'charging' for testings. If a student doesn't want to pay for testing fees, they are free to train down the street. Even the Gracies are adopting a belt system from white to blue belts as they understsand the importance as well.

So, anyhow, Mikey is a stand up guy and has no reason to aquire rank beyond his ability. If Marcello bestowed that rank upon him, so be it. I really don't understand how this effects the orignal posters quality of life overall. The only people this should matter to is Mikes students and from what I see they are very proud of him.

Respectfully,

Erik

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:07am

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was invited by a friend to attend a seminar Professor Marcello Monteiro was holding in WI at the Blast gym by madison. The instuctor that ran the gym was a purple belt, and at the end of the 3 hour seminar, the instructor was promoted to brown by Professor Marcello Monteiro. The people were nice, and i was the only guy with a Yamashita Gi on, and they even let me get in on the pictures. If you have a problem with how fast he was promoted, why not take it up with the man who promoted him. Why bust this guys chops over something he had no control over. If you dont like how quickly he was promoted, Ask Professor Marcello Monteiro why he promoted him....which im sure wont happen so kill the thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintdog View Post
    FYI for anyone questioning Mikeys purple belt

I was there (and grappled 1 of 15 rounds) when Mikey recieved his "long overdue" purple belt from the coach we no longer mention in our circles. Mikey is a good friend of mine and has been to my school for tournaments, seminars, fights UFC parties and so on... If you look on his myspace (or ShawnDees?) there are pictures of the belt promotion.
    Thanks for the information.

So, anyhow, Mikey is a stand up guy and has no reason to aquire rank beyond his ability. If Marcello bestowed that rank upon him, so be it. I really don't understand how this effects the orignal posters quality of life overall. The only people this should matter to is Mikes students and from what I see they are very proud of him.

Respectfully,

Erik
    I can agree with all of this minus, that the OP shouldn't comment on what he thinks is a quick promotion.

All of this:

Now for a couple of issues I have now with this discussion:
    Oh boy this going down hill isn't it?

1. So what if he obtained rank a 'faster' then the normal student. BJ Penn obtained his Black Belt in 3 years vs. the 10 years it takes traditionally in BJJ. Guess he is a fake, too. Why don't you start a thread against BJ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.J._Penn

2. As far as testing for belts in any style of martial arts, it serves several purposes. One, it is a great check point for instructors/students to see actual progress. Two, it is a great motivational tool for the student. Three, information is easiest to learn when it is broken into smaller segments instead of memorizing 100's of techniques before the next belt (if at all). Four, until you are in business for yourself and paying the rent, utilities, advertising, employees, taxes, travel, merchandise and so on, please don't preach about people 'charging' for testings. If a student doesn't want to pay for testing fees, they are free to train down the street. Even the Gracies are adopting a belt system from white to blue belts as they understsand the importance as well.
    Is quite silly.
    1) He is not BJ Penn which, has already been addressed.
    2) The belt rank argument was also already addressed.

Bj Penn has a body of work that shows why he was promoted quickly, MP doesn't.

Yes, it is that simple on this issue.

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im glad we got this cleared up guys... Sorry I didnt completely read the other 9 pages of posts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 4:51am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad this thread didn't get locked because there's some bullshit in the air. This isn't about Proctor as much as its about one of his fighters/coaches.
    Kina Peneueta is currently a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and currently holds four MMA Championships which include the 185lb Sudden Impact title, 185lb Cage Warrior Combat title, 185lb NW Fight Challenge title and the 185lb Ax Fighting title. Kina lived in Samoa his entire life and joined Gamebred Jiu-Jitsu when he moved to the states in 2009. Kina is an Olympic Bronze Medalist in the 185lb Wrestling Division of the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics. He is currently undefeated in boxing with a 13-0 record and holds a current MMA record of 8-2.
    http://www.gamebredmma.com/instructors.html

Olympic wrestling claims are pretty easy to verify...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer...ults?discId=50
    Pretty fuckin weak claim... His 8-2 MMA record is legit, why not just use that? One of his wins was against a teammate of mine who took him down at will throughout the fight.
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast