Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 8:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ finally a solution!!!
    i always get hasseled by the pavement when i stagger home on a saturdaymorning!!!
    i will have my revenge!!!

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 8:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    ^^ finally a solution!!!
    i always get hasseled by the pavement when i stagger home on a saturdaymorning!!!
    i will have my revenge!!!
    I thought fat Irish girls always break your fall?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 9:45am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
    I thought fat Irish girls always break your fall?
    ZING

also i sent another email asking in blunter terms to give a name for BJJ lineage. tbh i dont really give a **** about any of the other credentials.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I then put myself in real street fights where the odds were stacked against me, and 1 vs 1 on purpose in order to see how these techniques held up in real combat
    Really? And you aren't in jail?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 6:18pm

Style: Kali, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tarryl,

I'm the guy who commented on the knife defense. I would like to discuss your comments further. I know you have not posted yet, but your e-mail shows that you are reading the thread.

"Last but not least to the guy questioning the knife self defense technique...i train ppl to have no fear of being stabbed or cut in a knife fight...the goal is not to be uncut, but instead to finish your opponent quickly even if you are stabbed"

I somewhat disagree. Yes, getting cut in a knife confrontation is almost an absolute. Anyone who tells you that you will never get cut in a knife fight is selling you a load of crap. But, the first focus in training with a knife should be to minimize the damage to yourself not to finish your opponent. The finish comes second, and the ability to do it comes with time (See below).

"...of course your back is a bit exposed to be stabbed in that technique online"

This is the first problem, the back is not a bit exposed, it is completely exposed and you are giving your opponent free range of your back. It would be too easy to stab.

"but i did say in the video "If you happen to have your own knife, you'll definitely finish him off."

But you didn't have a knife. If having a knife to finish the attacker off is the last part of this defense, don't you think it should have been demonstrated so with the finish? Also, what happens when a person tries this defense when they do not have a knife?

"Which is the point...take the punch or the stab to finish the opponent...who cares if you get cut or punched as long as you finish him...i hope this clears this all up."

Not really. Teaching your students that it's ok to be stabbed in the back to finish your attacker is irresponsible and dangerous. There are many targets on the back which would finish you off, why give an attacker a free shot at them?

Yes, it's important to learn not to be afraid to get hit or stabbed, and to be able to react if that happens, but training to put yourself in a position to be stabbed just to "finish" your attacker seems counter productive.

I will talk from a recent experience. We were stick sparring in class with padded sticks. I saw an opportunity so I crashed and grabbed my training partners stick. As he was turning to pull it out of my hand, he stepped on my foot and broke my 5th metatarsal. I felt a shot of pain, but held on and continued to hit him in the back until the end of the round. I have been in a boot since the end of May and hope to get out of it next week.

I would like to think that my years of training allowed me to keep my head and continue fighting in that situation, not practicing having my foot stepped on.

I noticed that you will be in Bloomington, Mn in October. My hometown but unfortunately I've been in Ohio since 1999. If I was still in Mn, I would have been willing to get together to go over this in person. If you are ever in Ohio, please let me know.

Thank you,

Ken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 11:14pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an update on the communication between mysefl and Mr. Janik. Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I suspect he is out doing whatever and as a result can not respond to my email which asks about BJJ lineage.

If he doesnt respond tomorrow then I will assume that he just won't respond and I will be done with it.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 12:15am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow so many things wrong with this it would take me a week to type it up. I hope the people he trains are having fun. I also hope they never have to use what he is teaching.

Please if anyone from that area reads this and thinks that is MMA please contact me.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 4:49am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I found massively amusing was this:

Quote Originally Posted by His Website
    Quote Originally Posted by His Website
    OMG MMA Fighters really train with gloves this big on? You have to be kidding me...

So i was cruisin' the usual MMA news sites and i started to notice a extremely funny trend. Well, at least funny to someone like me. The size of these boxing gloves that these top UFC fighters train in are just ridiculous. Are they really training to fight or just pozing as fighters? Now, i know they don't want to get injured or take that chance of injury prior to a big money making fight, but come on. My grandma probably wouldn't even wear these...pictured below are Kenny Florian and Anderson Silva...maybe they should be hand models instead of fighters, i think they are in the wrong business....I NEVER WEAR GLOVES....EVER....PERIOD...it's called toughening your hands, but hey i guess only REAL martial artists know about this it seems. Not to mention that the targets they are punching don't hurt what so ever...what chumps.

http://www.wuweido.com/contact.html

Hmmm....yeah, I suppose the top boxers and kickboxers in the world are totally wrong. They should actually be TOUGHENING THEIR HANDS! After all, permanent hand damage is totally hardcore, and you're not a REAL martial artist without it!

And silly them, those focus mitts don't hurt at ALL! They should be using focus mitts made of CONCRETE, like we at Wu Wei Do do!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 8:38am

Style: Judo n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow this dude is clearly batshit insane.

Protect my hands which allow me to work and make money? Pfffft **** that I am a man!!

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 10:06am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The delusional idea that you need to toughen your hands is still running rampant. We had a guy in the gym that thought along those lines. He had trained we another gym that was JKD/TKD based and didn't wrap hands to train or tape them for fights. It wasn't until he started training with us and doing hours of mitt, bag work, and sparring that he realized he needed the extra protection.

They just think that hitting stationary objects equals striking people in the head. Once the actually start breaking their hands while really sparring will they start using proper training equipment. It just goes to the core of their problem though. They believe in the concept but do not train how they want to fight. They have no idea what its like to really train to be a real fighter and rest on being a martial artist. When in all actuallity the fighters of today are the true martial artist.

The true MMA fighters of today are humble, respectful and hold true to bushido. They don't talk about it or brag or post on websites how many street fights they had or how badly they can beat other people. The only time you here them speak of others is when they are trying to hype/sell a fight. While there are some douche bags in MMA for the most part the higher level guys are real good people at least the ones I have meet.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast