Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC titleholder expectations

Should the UFC expect more from its champions? A titleholder should be defending that title regularly, probably about three times a year. Brock Lesnar might fight twice this year -- and even if he had fought Mir at UFC 98, that still would have been six months between winning the title and defending it. This weekend Anderson Silva was allowed to fight in a catchweight match instead of defending his title. This diminishes the value of the titles and cheats the fans.

With five weight divisions, the UFC should be showing 12 - 15 title matches a year at least. This year we'll get 10, maybe. There is no reason to put on a card that has neither a title match nor a #1 contender match. After Penn's defense on Saturday, and Silva's meaningless bout, we won't see another title match until October.

If MMA is to be taken seriously as a sport, it has to have legitimate titles and champions. I think that allowing a champ to fight without defending the title, or letting a champion cruise along for half a year with no risk of losing his status, makes the UFC look less like a sports organization and more like an exhibition or a checking account for the Fertitta's.
    Last edited by madrigan; 8/10/2009 8:58am at . Reason: Clarity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 9:14am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A title holder should be free to fight in any weight division he wants. Silva could retire as the middleweight champ and become the new catchweight champ, if he wants to.

Moreover, having champions defend their titles is meaningless, if there is nobody to defend against.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 9:29am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not entirely the ufc's fault if there's no #1 contender available.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 9:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madrigan View Post
    With five weight divisions, the UFC should be showing 12 - 15 title matches a year at least. This year we'll get 10, maybe.
    Couldn't agree more. Until Pride went tits up over in Japan I felt that it was on to some good ideas. Sure, it was geared more towards entertainment than sport, but the open-weight, middleweight, and heavyweight grand prixs, the bushido events, and the frequent airing of good fighters made it a lot more competitive than it looked.

The UFC is weighed down by too many good fighters scrapping over a limited number of yearly fights and a stale format. And on another note, it really is time to get ride of Goldberg and Rogan...I'm so bored listening to Goldberg plug Bud Lite and Harley Davidson, and Rogan show complete bias towards fighters he likes. Dana, if you're reading this, bring Bas to the UFC!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While 12-15 title defenses a year would be great to see, I take issue with the notion that a card without a title fight or #1 contender match shouldn't take place.

The next main event is Couture/Noguiera. Is anyone going to make the case that this isn't a fight relevant to the title picture? Same with Marquardt/Maia. Winner is in line for a title shot.

Hell, I'm thrilled it's even possible to have four Heavyweight matches on a single card- I started following the sport in the dark ages of the 265 division seeming to consist entirely of Arlovski, Sylvia, Assuerio Silva, and a rookie Brandon Vera.

In September there's a fight night scheduled, as well as a PPV. I don't think anyone is complaining about the fight nights, since they're Free TV designed to show off the lower tier of up and comers, so I'll focus on the September PPV:

Thank gawd they pulled Franklin/Henderson II, and even if the new main event has no immediate title implications, the Swick/Kampmann fight was called a number one contender's match by Joe Silva. Add to that the Cro Cop/Dos Santos fight, Koscheck/Trigg, and Tyson/Franca and thats an interesting card to me.

Then October.

So, to sum up, august had a title defense AND will have 1 or 2 'winner gets a title shot' matches at a SECOND pay per view, September has a number one contender match AND a fight Night on free TV, then comes October.

Are people seriously pissed about this?

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 4:58pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suspected source of angst against title defense frequency in UFC: Brock Lesnar as Heavyweight champ bothers people. I think it is a matter of contrasts, the light heavyweight division is stacked and a lot of top fighters (GSP, Anderson Silva) have minimal holes in their MMA game. Brock's division is not stacked and he is predominately a wrestler with great athletic ability. The ultimate fighter show is focused on heavyweights this year, they tried to sign Fedor, Mir is for real and has fought Brock twice.

And really, the UFC does have catch weight fights that are interesting so what's the big deal. Also, I do want to see top contenders headline some of the time, it makes the title fights that much better.

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 6:08pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see that the current era is any more troubling than when the whiteboy bridgade of chuck/hughes/Franklin all seemed unbeatable.

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 6:21pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed this era is fine. I would like to buy more PPV but personal budget slows me down, when I have purchased an event I have been pleased. The format is fine, interest must come from the fights, and generally the UFC delivers. And the UFC as a promotion seems to do a good job of getting the match-ups we want to see. The only one that worried me was Lyoto not getting a title shot and that obviously did not happen.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:36pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    totally disagree.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 1:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UFC is a stale piece of bread which desperately needs a new layer of jam. From a presentational aspect it's pure 90's, especially Goldberg's suits. They need less swearing, a new commenting line up, more diverse shows, a reworked front-end, bigger venues, and some more, well, razzmatazz! Dream still manage to put on a proper 'show' and they're bloody bankrupt.

Don't get me wrong though, from a fighter perspective, things are great.

But hell, even the WEC title graphics get me more excited than a Night At Dana's; oh, I mean the UFC :seppuku:
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast