Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    11/03/2002 5:10am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking recently, for all the respect many martial artists (i.e. the Dog Brothers, JKD, Paul Vunak) seem to afford it, we see very little of Escrima or other FMA in NHB. Is it because for all the stick techniques, the empty-hand is lacking? Or is the empty hand 'incompatible' (due to joint manipulation, destructions, etc.) with how an NHB fight goes down?

As much merit as FMA has in the empty-hand realm, and as good a stress test for styles as NHB seems to be, it looks to me like FMA and NHB are "two great tastes that don't go great together".

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."
  2. Michael

Posted On:
    11/03/2002 7:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah, what's FMA? if you mean Fillipino martial arts then it should be PMS: Phillipino martial arts, and yes I'm Phillipno (at least half.) If not please correct me.

lol....pms......I'm too funny.

Two guys walk into a bar....ouch that's gotta hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2002 7:54pm

Style: Dynamic Combat,TaeKwondo,Judo,Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think some elements, like destructions would be good in an NHB fight. Hey he punched me in my elbow, not my fault his hand broke :) But as far as all the standing joint locks, I personally always felt they were too hard to apply against a resisting opponent. Leave standing joint locks to bouncers, or low threat/ violence level situations.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    11/04/2002 5:11am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Michael,

I'm Filipino too, and a lot of people, including myself formerly and even other Filipinos, didn't know that that it was "F" in words like "filipino" and "filipina" and "Ph" in words like "Philippine" or "Republic of the Philippines".

Coincidentally, it becomes "P" when referring to the language, "Pilipino" and the country (in that language), "Republica Pilipinas", which is why you'll see the Philippines abbreviated as "RP" instead of "PHI" in some cases (i.e., when the Filipino National Hockey Team plays the Flyers).

To tell the truth, I'm "half-Filipino" as well, but I don't think there's such a thing. Filipinos started out as the native people who migrated by sea from the Asian continent, then came the Chinese along with Japanese and other Asians, then the Spanish, then the Americans. Catch my drift? To me, adding another race, if anything, makes one more Filipino because we as a people are defined by our diverse racial stock that comes from a synthesis of East and West.

Anyway, that's just my long-winded off-topic opinion.

About destructions, it seems to me the striking in an NHB fight goes down like a boxing match, where pretty much your only targets are the jaw and the ribs/stomach. Of course, with Thai boxing included, you could also attack the legs, but that's about it.

As much as destructions could be employed effectively, it seems that no one in NHB is using them. Does this mean that NHB like Pride and UFC have room to evolve (as the evolution into crosstraining was spurred by the early UFC) to include "unorthodox" techniques like destructions, or are they and other FMA just "incompatible" with the ring and better left on the street?

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."
  5. Michael

Posted On:
    11/04/2002 6:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude I'm harrassing you.........it was a joke....you fucking fob...

Two guys walk into a bar....ouch that's gotta hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2002 12:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the arts that dominate in mma right now are mixes of specialized arts...bjj, wrestling, boxing, muay thai. it doesn't make sense for a fma'er to compete in mma since he would have to distill his training. a weapons fighter will not do well unarmed against a guy who trains only muay thai and bjj or some other proven combo. now, if you send the same mma fighter to a dog brothers gathering, its a different story.

Titan

Posted On:
    11/05/2002 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't take a stick into a MMA fight, and the empty hand techniques aren't really worth learning.

>or are they and other FMA just "incompatible" with the ring and better left on the street?

Yes, they're better off on the "street" because they deal with weapons.

>I personally always felt they were too hard to apply against a resisting opponent. Leave standing joint locks to bouncers, or low threat/ violence level situations.

I agree, when I first started MAs, I learnt plenty of standing wrist locks (Aikido). I found them near on impossible to apply on a resisting opponent, plus my face was open the whole time to attacks from their other hand.

"If you have to ask, you'll never know
    Funky mother fuckers will not be told to go."

Edited by - slj on November 05 2002 11:17:32
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Titan

Posted On:
    11/05/2002 12:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >if you send the same mma fighter to a dog brothers gathering, its a different story.

Of course, they're two different things.

"You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2002 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Of course, they're two different things."

i know it is, but what am i.

:P

Titan

Posted On:
    11/05/2002 1:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Errr, a poor boy ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast