Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That reminds me, Domite--I should formally apologize for wimping out on San Shou Rules Round Two with you.

The video will make it evident that I was simply doing the martial arts equivalent of pleading the fifth.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

blotter art.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:32pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, np.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:36pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Domite vs 1point2

Give it a minute, I just uploaded it...

YouTube - Bullshido throwdown - Domite vs 1point2

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That last minute was really rough. Wow.

To do list:
    From JP: Fix the leg kicks like he says; commit, or retract faster
    From Jack: don't paw the jab, hit with it, and turn the hip in
    From me: utilize the front kick more to control distance; it was one of the only strikes that worked for me

Is my movement OK? It looked to me like the best thing I did, circling and not staying stuck in one spot, but I want feedback. I know my head movement is nonexistent, but what in my footwork can improve?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:10pm

New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite View Post
    Lampa, who is this Eddie Graveline punk trying to nose in on your territory?
    We got a couple of guys doing it across the country. MMA is probably the only thing where there aren't too many Examiners. When I met the people who do it for other topics I was shocked to find out how little traffic they get.

Awe well. Examiner is more of a branding thing, anyway. When trying to get freelance commissions it's infinitely easier when you can point to something recent you wrote on any given day. Especially now that I have a decent amount of readers.

P.S. Go back into training in a couple of hours after a pretty long hiatus. The Throwdown was a really cool way for me to gauge where I currently sit.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    P.S. Go back into training in a couple of hours after a pretty long hiatus. The Throwdown was a really cool way for me to gauge where I currently sit.
    Cool; what are you getting back into?

blotter art.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:23pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    That last minute was really rough. Wow.

To do list:
    From JP: Fix the leg kicks like he says; commit, or retract faster
    From Jack: don't paw the jab, hit with it, and turn the hip in
    From me: utilize the front kick more to control distance; it was one of the only strikes that worked for me

Is my movement OK? It looked to me like the best thing I did, circling and not staying stuck in one spot, but I want feedback. I know my head movement is nonexistent, but what in my footwork can improve?
    It's good that you went to the side, but often it was the wrong side. Always move away from your opponent's power side, usually in the back. (right in my case) Another big issue with the footwork is you were crossing your feet like crazy. You would do okay when you would rush in to use your hands, but almost every other time they were crossing.

Additionally, you seemed to use either punches or kicks, you never mixed it up, which of course makes your strikes much easier to defend against. Don't be afraid to go to the body with your hands. Often flurries where you mix up high and low work especially good against larger opponents who have more area to cover up.

Another thing you want to think about is range, sometimes you were just chilling in my range and outside of your range. Thats where you never want to be. You want to minimize the time spent in that area. I can tell you understood this concept, and two minutes isn't really enough time to acclimate yourself, but it's something to keep in mind.

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:23pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I want feedback
    Um... don't fight giants?

More seriously: you mostly did a good job of covering your head when you weren't kicking or punching, but often lost hand discipline when you'd strike (0:27, when you throw the teep; 0:37 Domite throws the jab, you do the opposite of covering up; 1:35 for... whatever that kick was). There's one flavor of Thai round kick that involves dropping a hand, otherwise try to keep both at ready.

Also, at 0:34 you go chasing after a low kick with your hands -- never do that, or you'll get KTFO by a followup punch. Either catch kicks as they come to you or let 'em go.

Good job getting in there!
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast