Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 6:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stroud's School of Martial Arts, Kinston NC

I am trying to determine if Stroud's School of Martial Arts in Kinston, NC is a quality school. Based on my preliminary research, I have my doubts, but would welcome the opinion of those better equipped to make an assessment.

http://www.stroudschool.com/

My doubts/concerns:

(1) On the Blackbelt gallery page, they list Lemuel Stroud as a 10th Dan, but they don't list in what art. I found a reference on a separate site stating:

He holds a 10th degree black belt in jujitsu by the board of the National Martial Arts Association...
    See http://www.nationalmartialartsassociation.com/Bios.html

(See Point 3 Below)

(2) Also on the Blackbelt page, Richy and Barry list themselves has co-instructors (not sure I'm wording this correctly)...Richy is a student of Barry and Barry is a student of Richy. Is this legit?

(3) Lemuel Stroud was a founding member (and current board member) of the NMAA

http://www.nationalmartialartsassociation.com

In his bio on the NMAA site, his 10th Dan in jujitsu was awarded by the NMAA. Some of his former teachers are listed, but I am new to MA and cannot properly evaluate these claims. For an organization calling itself a National Association, however, it seems to me to not have a lot of member dojos.

(4) Along with being a founding member of the NMAA, Stroud (along with the other Stroud's Martial Arts Academy instructors) is also on the board of KBK, Inc

http://www.kodomobugeikai.com/

which seems to serve somewhat of a similar purpose to the NMAA.

I'm looking for a Judo school in my area and wonder if I should be seriously considering this school. Nearly two weeks ago, I sent them an email asking several questions to help me assess if their school is a good fit for my goals and I have yet to receive a reply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 11:06am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to your (2) point, after looking at the site I believe their saying Richy recieved her Judo degree from Barry, and that Barry recieved his Jiu Jitsu degree from Richy. From my experience anytime someone is awarded a degree from an organization they run it's most likely BS!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 11:09am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This caught my attention though:"Shihan Barry Huneycutt (5.18.07 reached true enlightenment)" No idea what that means, but it seems alittle off to me

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 11:55am

Style: Shamar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sensei Stroud, from what I know personally, has always taught Hakko ryu jujutsu. He has been around for a long time, has many GREAT students/teachers under him and has unquestioned credentials among those that know what they are.

I also thought that his son was a student under Carlos Machado and at one time the school was in fact an affiliated school, but I could be wrong about this - this is what I have heard through the grapevine only.

Either way if you are looking to study traditional jujutsu then I would train there, personally anyway.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 11:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A legit 10th degree is so fucking rare that even the most world-renowned martial artists almost never receive it. It's such a moronic claim to make that it's not even worth investigating, but the fact that he was nice enough to state that the organization he himself founded & runs awarded him the rank confirms it's bullshit just in case you had .0000000001% doubt left over.

I'd at least check this place out imo. BJJ is close enough to Judo:

School Name: New Bern Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Address: Hwy 70
    New Bern, NORTH CAROLINA, 28561
    Phone: 252-617-2566
    Email: irishsaint_34@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrinn View Post
    Sensei Stroud, from what I know personally, has always taught Hakko ryu jujutsu. He has been around for a long time, has many GREAT students/teachers under him and has unquestioned credentials among those that know what they are.
    Oh the irony. What are these unquestioned credentials for those people lucky enough to be in the know, and if he has such great credentials, why does he feel the need to post bullshit ones on his site?

Maybe he's got the most awesome JJJ skills in the world, but he's another example of a self-promoting, dishonest advertiser which, in combination with the stuff on his site about the development of moral character, really rubs me the wrong way.

Edit: I just turned Avatars on for the first time in ages...I'll give you this, your Avatar is awesome.
    Last edited by maofas; 9/29/2009 12:09pm at .

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 12:24pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can always call and ask about their Judo rank, and if it's recognized by the USJA.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 12:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just called them. Lemuel Stroud has a nidan recognized by the USJA.

Not quite a 10th degree, but, hey, at least he should know how to throw someone on their head.
    Last edited by maofas; 9/29/2009 1:00pm at . Reason: replaced "he" with the name since there are about 20 instructors listed on their site

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If fucking brinn says the guy is ok, then he proably isn't
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 1:12pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good work Maofas. Sounds legit for Judo then; though the 10th degree is suspect, as you mentioned?

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 1:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Mr. Stroud seems to have a legit Judo background, but from the perspective of a potential student who wants to learn Judo, the question in my mind would be: do they actually teach Judo here or are they teaching a hodgepodge system with Judo techniques in it, but with compliant JJJ training as opposed to Judo methodology (drilling techniques the way you'd use them in randori and then randori-ing).

I mean, Aikido has lots of the same techniques as Judo, but it's the sport-training methodology that actually makes Judo Judo.

Goobey, the first question I'd ask (since Judo is what you want to learn) is, "Do your students compete in Judo tournaments?" If the answer is no, that's not a deal-breaker (for me anyways), but it would make me a little more cautious.

I would also check out Mayfield's (see TD thread) and compare the two. I know Mayfield produces good students, so I'd compare the two classes and what goes on in each.

Edit: If he's good he's good, but the 10th dan is loltastic and that guy feeling the need to state the day/year he discovered enlightenment on his resume sounds nutty. I don't like it, it's definitely secondary in importance to me compared to what actually goes on in a practice.
    Last edited by maofas; 9/29/2009 2:10pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast