Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:41am

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much agree with everyone here, so far. Have no clue what Forrest was thinking. Could he have over-trained and "lost it"? He looked pretty slim and cut up at weigh in.

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do/Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadollah got hit, fell, and got hit almost a dozen times before he started standing up again. I'm sure he would've been okay to fight more if the ref didn't do anything, but seeing how before he stopped the fight, the guy was on the ground with hands on the floor and not blocking or anything, i'm not blaming the ref. Besides, if he's good enough, he can probably fight him again someday anyways.

I know forrest dislocated his jaw and couldn't hear out of one ear after the fight, so that's probably part of the reason he left (to go to the hospital). I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing when you're beat and lots of people are gonna give him crap about it. I'm sure if he steps up his training, he can still do alright against silva if they fought again... or maybe not... but yeah, he's ran from other losses too so it might just be what he likes to do...

Silva's got three more fights before he can retire... i would love to see him fight GSP. And Dana is saying that he is willing to match up machida with silva regardless of whether they're friends on facebook or whatever since it's about "being the best" and not about friendship. at least Silva will have another great video to add to his highlight reel.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:43pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenclavicle View Post
    Personally, I found the Silva/Griffin fight to be rather ho-hum (and Silva seemed to find it so during it, as well). I expected Griffin to go a little more aggro as I figured that might put a snag in Silva at least for a bit, but he instead played an over-slow, cautious game and paid for it. I wonder who has the right mindframe to take on Anderson Silva? He's fast but I think that the psychological aspect is what slows most of his opponents down; it's almost palpable, the fact that they're almost frozen with indecision and uncertainty at the manner of fighter they have before them.

As for the title fight, Penn took his time and slowly dismantled Florian, who seemed to have forgotten about his usual weapons after the first short scrap when Penn floored him. Nice RNC at the end to cap the masterful performance of the prodigy. Nothing to complain about, really. Penn is leagues ahead of the competition in the lightweight division and I honestly can't see Diego Sanchez pushing him anywhere, much less anyone else in the UFC... I have to wonder about a Shinya Aoki matchup there, but Penn would tool him in the stand up, no matter how proficient an opponent Aoki might prove on the ground.

Wasn't as enjoyable a card as I had hoped, though. But that's just me.
    Forrest didn't suffer because he was overly cautious. If he would have been more aggressive it would have just ended faster. He came in with a terrible game plan. Why stand with the best striker in MMA when you have a really solid ground game with a huge weight advantage? He should have been working for takedowns with ground n pound. Dan Henderson laid the template of how to beat Silva. No one has tried to exploit that since.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSK712 View Post
    Sadollah got hit, fell, and got hit almost a dozen times before he started standing up again. I'm sure he would've been okay to fight more if the ref didn't do anything, but seeing how before he stopped the fight, the guy was on the ground with hands on the floor and not blocking or anything, i'm not blaming the ref. Besides, if he's good enough, he can probably fight him again someday anyways.

I know forrest dislocated his jaw and couldn't hear out of one ear after the fight, so that's probably part of the reason he left (to go to the hospital). I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing when you're beat and lots of people are gonna give him crap about it. I'm sure if he steps up his training, he can still do alright against silva if they fought again... or maybe not... but yeah, he's ran from other losses too so it might just be what he likes to do...

Silva's got three more fights before he can retire... i would love to see him fight GSP. And Dana is saying that he is willing to match up machida with silva regardless of whether they're friends on facebook or whatever since it's about "being the best" and not about friendship. at least Silva will have another great video to add to his highlight reel.
    I disagree on the Sadollah stoppage, but whatever. Bigger point is this: Griffin was uninjured. His jaw and ear were and are fine.
    Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 4:45pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice GIF showing Griffin swinging and missing and Silva's precision strikes:

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 1:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were only five punches thrown at Sadollah while he was on his hands and knees, and he even drops a little between the second and third. That wasn't a motion that would happen if he was trying to stand up, and what sold me on the stoppage being legit.

For ****'s sake, ignore which ref it is. You assholes are going to turn up all kinds of false positives that way.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard to ignore the ref when he's pretty universally regarded as the WORST REF IN UFC. Why is that? Early stoppages.

Even if Sadollah were out, which I'm pretty convinced he was not, it was STILL an early stoppage, in my mind. The guy wasn't getting knocked silly yet.

No need to go all agro on those of us who disagree.

How about we turn to the gif?

Here's what I see:

Sadollah dropped by uppercut, falls down. It's clear he's RAWKED.

Hendricks throws two punches that glance off the top/back of Sadollah's head, a third that misses completely. A fourth glances off of Sadollah's shoulder.

Sadollah starts to get back up.

Punch number five hits the shoulder again and six hits more air.

Fucktard ref stops the fight on a whiff and a possible recovery.

Hell, if anything, it looks like the ref should have stopped it to let Sadollah recover after being hit in the back of the head.
    Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 9:39am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure at least one dougy-soft webnerd has, by now, made an animated GIF of that last bit; complete with picking the over-ripe, low-hanging-fruit of a "Run Forrest, Run" joke. (And if you see one, please post it because even though Griffin is an awesome guy, it's still kinda funny. Ok, not really.)

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 9:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rogan gives me the rank needle. I mean the Right Hump.

In plain English, I can't bloody stand his commentary. Either he shows bias or he's watching different fight to the one I'm watching.

I thought the Sadollah stoppage was Correct. The only thing worse than a Brave Manager is a Brave Referee. He was caught by an Uppercut coming in and his legs went from under him with the other bloke whaling away. Yes, I know the Replay shows things a mite differently but the Ref was closest and it looked Correct. There was little practical defence.

Silva. Astonishing blowout of Forrest "God's Own Trier" Griffin. He was decked 3 times FFS and waved it over on the 3rd so he had enough awareness to know he was in trouble and serious injury.

Rogan and the other commentary Mike Whateverhisnameis, were talking Bollocks about the jab. The energy was doubled by Griffin walking on to it and it was a main strike with the Right Hand rather than a "Find-The-Range" Left Jab. Only Sugar Roy Robinson was noted was notable for delivering a KO blow while going backwards.

I too was shocked at Forrest's quick return to the Dressing Room but no doubt he had his reasons and we may yet hear about it.

Opinions, eh?

BTW now that SETANTA UK has gone bust we've now got ESPN. So, the Boxing, football and UFC continues after a short interruption. Oh Joy.

Cheers

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 10:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    waved it over on the 3rd
    Bull fucking ****.

Forrest got KO'd, he's not a quitter.

Rogan and the other commentary Mike Whateverhisnameis, were talking Bollocks about the jab. The energy was doubled by Griffin walking on to it and it was a main strike with the Right Hand rather than a "Find-The-Range" Left Jab. Only Sugar Roy Robinson was noted was notable for delivering a KO blow while going backwards.
    This is full of so much crap I don't know where to start.

Other than that Silva had his right side forward, so that was definitely a jab.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast