228313 Bullies, 4205 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC 101 - Dalmatians and Gump Jokes

I probably shouldn't even be writing this.

To be completely honest, I only half-watched the UFC last night. I was only really interested in a few of the fights on the card, one of which they didn't even bother to show on the pay per view.

And besides, what can really be said about last night? Outside of what Joe Rogan considered to be an early stoppage on an affable fan favorite, everything either pretty much went as expected, or went at a slow pace. It was almost as if the August heat had gotten inside the Wachovia Center.

So the skinny: BJ Penn is still the king at 155, Anderson Silva chewed up another brawler, and Forrest Griffin inexplicably ran from the cage after their fight. I'm sure at least one dougy-soft webnerd has, by now, made an animated GIF of that last bit; complete with picking the over-ripe, low-hanging-fruit of a "Run Forrest, Run" joke. (And if you see one, please post it because even though Griffin is an awesome guy, it's still kinda funny. Ok, not really.)

Kenny Florian
    proved he's an A+ level lightweight. It's just that BJ Penn is that kid who never misses a question, despite only starting to study recently. You know, the one who maxed his SAT after a night of heavy drinking (and jumping out of pools). Penn looked focused, but somewhat bored in the fight, and Kenny "The Elbow" (because that's a much better nickname) couldn't seem to land an effective one on the Hawaiian's slippery skull.

Dan "The Tan" Miragliotta's stoppage of the Sadolla/Hendricks fight erred on the side of fighter safety, which is almost always at odds with fan entertainment. Good for him. If you're going to sit against the cage in the pushup position and get hit in the face without moving, it shouldn't matter how much of a nice guy you are. If you're not defending yourself intelligently, and camping out in the front-leaning-rest while someone wings fists towards your pie-hole isn't "intelligent", the referee must stop the fight, no matter how angry it makes the beer-swilling masses in the audience.

Anderson Silva
    repeated nearly the exact same performance last night as he once did against Chris Leben. This shouldn't have come as a shock to anyone as Forrest Griffin fights very similarly to the journeman welterweight; wide, looping punches, and all heart. Unfortunately for both of them, Silva didn't need to take out their hearts to beat them, just their heads. And that he did, clocking Griffin directly on the jaw with what Rogan may have described as a jab, but was more of a straight with Silva's full weight behind it. A similar punch by Chuck Liddell KO'd Vernon White a few years back, so it shouldn't be too much of a mystery.

The real mystery was why Griffin beat feet out of the cage almost immediately upon coming back to his senses. We could speculate about anything from a "No Mas" moment (if you don't know, don't ask), to Forrest wanting to catch the Saturday night repeat of True Blood. Heck, maybe he really was "shipping up to Boston to find his wooden leg". Speculation like that is almost always pointless though, and we'll leave that to the kind of websites that make up stories about managers being kept out of locker rooms.

Well, Bullshido, what was your take on UFC 101?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 2:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow...awesome writeup...I guess... still waiting for the run forest gif. Who didnt expect anderson winning.... again.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by t3h d3adly View Post
    wow...awesome writeup...I guess... still waiting for the run forest gif. Who didnt expect anderson winning.... again.
    Check the UFC 101 threat in the MMA forum. It's not a GIF, just a JPEG but it is ton's 'O' awesome.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadollah stoppage was early. I don't care what anyone says and it's not because I like the guy.

I'm all for fighters' safety being first, but he was still intelligently defending himself by trying to clinch and get to his feet. Was he rocked? Sure. But that's not the criteria for a stoppage. Hell Nog would have zero wins if that were the case.

The ref, Miragliotta, is the owner of some of the worst stoppages I've seen in the sport. He can put another notch in his belt after this one.

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 3:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The real mystery was why Griffin...

...attempted a sloppy alternating triple reverse-punch/cross combo? What the hell was he thinking? Talk about leaving yourself wide open. 1 - 2 (crack) 3...hits the deck. Your average yellow belt would've been wiser.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree I usually have no problems with early stoppages, but Dan Mirga...mergi...not gonna work here anymore anyway should be reffing the next UFC from his armchair. He had a bad angle and could only see that punches where being thrown not landed. Hell I could just block the ref and foom foom foom my way to victory too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 6:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav M,BJJ,Judo,Shinbodu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus theres a freaking UFC fight every other week. There needs to be one or two big title fights a year; this is way too much to keep up with and way too pricey(50$ a pop.)

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by core1065 View Post
    Jesus theres a freaking UFC fight every other week. There needs to be one or two big title fights a year; this is way too much to keep up with and way too pricey(50$ a pop.)
    But there are 5 titles. That would mean each champ defending his belt every 2.5 years or so. I agree there are too many UFCs, at least too many PPVs. They should have 2 title fights per card and put 3 really great non-title fights on the main card and do this every 3 months instead of every 6 weeks. Then put on great non-title cards as UFNs on Spike.

But the UFC is making money hand over fist doing exactly what they're doing and I don't think they're about to change.

I thought the Sadollah stoppage was early, Hendricks wasn't hitting him in the face, he was grazing the back of his head. Amir was in the process of standing up, and it was clear he wasn't phased by Hendricks' punches. Miragliotta gave Amir literally TWO SECONDS from the time he dropped until the time he stopped the fight. I don't know how you can judge it that quickly. He should have given Amir more time.

Oh, and:
    No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - I'm a Noob + silva v griffin predictions

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 12:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, CSW, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only reason I feel the Amir fight was stopped early is from what I saw of him on TUF. It seemed that a big part of his style was weathering the early storm and continuing to come back for more. If he had popped his leg up any later than he did or not at all then I would have agreed with the stoppage.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I found the Silva/Griffin fight to be rather ho-hum (and Silva seemed to find it so during it, as well). I expected Griffin to go a little more aggro as I figured that might put a snag in Silva at least for a bit, but he instead played an over-slow, cautious game and paid for it. I wonder who has the right mindframe to take on Anderson Silva? He's fast but I think that the psychological aspect is what slows most of his opponents down; it's almost palpable, the fact that they're almost frozen with indecision and uncertainty at the manner of fighter they have before them.

As for the title fight, Penn took his time and slowly dismantled Florian, who seemed to have forgotten about his usual weapons after the first short scrap when Penn floored him. Nice RNC at the end to cap the masterful performance of the prodigy. Nothing to complain about, really. Penn is leagues ahead of the competition in the lightweight division and I honestly can't see Diego Sanchez pushing him anywhere, much less anyone else in the UFC... I have to wonder about a Shinya Aoki matchup there, but Penn would tool him in the stand up, no matter how proficient an opponent Aoki might prove on the ground.

Wasn't as enjoyable a card as I had hoped, though. But that's just me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast