Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 5:41am

Style: not training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    Are you questioning whether FAS techniques were actually used, or are you specifically looking for AAR type reports?

More of the later, I did have a minuscule amount of doubt but that came about do to my inability to find an actual AAR rather than real skepticism (I actually first heard of Col. Applegate (as opposed to Sykes and Fairbain) when I happened to read an article about his death (about '94ish?) in a gun magazine. The author mentioned an incident in which the Col. incapacitated some unfortunate misanthropes shortly prior to that occurence with his cane in a parking garage (its been many years and I don't have that gun mag anymore I believe the author was Chuck Thompson (could have the last name wrong)).

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 8:04am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd imagine hand-to-hand fighting was quite prevalent in the Pacific wing of WW2. Japanese officers were issued swords and no doubt trained to use them; I know of more than one Veteran who came home with katanas from killed enemies.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 8:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    I'd imagine hand-to-hand fighting was quite prevalent in the Pacific wing of WW2. Japanese officers were issued swords and no doubt trained to use them; I know of more than one Veteran who came home with katanas from killed enemies.
    Apart from Generals and those of Samurai lineage, most were factory swords for issue to all infantry officers etc. Some look a mite cheap and nasty because of it. There are a number of these lesser specimens in the Museum at RAF Duxford.

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 2:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushinkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a short documentary series on the BBC a few years ago about the Royal Marine Commandos who were some of the primary users of the FS dagger and im sure there were a few anecdotes about its use as well as an endearing scene where some old vets demonstrate house clearing techniques .
    It might be worth researching Paddy Mayne one of the SAS originals from the desert war a genuine sort of super soldier who is reputed to have killed a number of airfield guards in a single night up close and personal i don't know if he employed the system but he certainly used a FS dagger .

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Liar View Post
    There was a short documentary series on the BBC a few years ago about the Royal Marine Commandos who were some of the primary users of the FS dagger and im sure there were a few anecdotes about its use as well as an endearing scene where some old vets demonstrate house clearing techniques .
    It might be worth researching Paddy Mayne one of the SAS originals from the desert war a genuine sort of super soldier who is reputed to have killed a number of airfield guards in a single night up close and personal i don't know if he employed the system but he certainly used a FS dagger .
    The thing about Paddy Mayne is what ISN'T included in his bio(s). His men were quoted as saying that Mayne had many more encounters which were never formally Reported on. Perhaps this explains his 4 x DSOs but no MIDs (Mentioned In Despatches denoted by leaf or more on the campaign ribbon).

Certainly he entered an Officers Mess (North Africa) and shot dead everyone inside. He later explained Room Entry in that after the shock had worn off, "Shoot the first one that moves because he has started to think and that makes him dangerous".

The FS dagger was issued to WW2 Commandos (Army) - today, the only Commandos are Royal Marine denoted by the Green Beret. Presumably Mayne had one but I can't imagine it would make much difference to a man of his ferocious fighting Mindset.

Minor point, there was a Para called Alastair Williams who also won 4 x DSOs and during WW2 and ended his days as a Brigadier (1Star General) and retired to his farm in Scotland.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 2:25pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are ancedotes in the book " With the Old Breed" by E.B Sledge where he talks about h2h fighting in Pelilue and Okinawa.

Not he himself personally, but he recounts stories of hearing fellow Marines fighting in foxholes with Japanese sappers in the middle of the night.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12