Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just An Introduction

Good morning. I just signed up and came on over to this sub-forum to introduce myself.

I don't have any martial arts experience whatsoever. I crashlanded on Bullshido by way of doing Google searches about legitimate martial arts, because recently I became interested in the idea of learning one.

Some background real quick- About a year and a half ago, after not doing anything "athletic" for a long time I got this crazy idea to start training for powerlifting.

So I did, and found that I really enjoy barbell training. My coach Ryan Celli will be putting on an in-house PL meet on in the Fall and I'm looking forward to competing in it. After that I plan on doing raw USAPL meets, once or twice a year.

Since I've been in the gym, training and enjoying a more active, healthier lifestyle I have been thinking about getting involved with a martial arts program, too, mostly because I feel like it's good to get out there and Do Stuff, and also because it's a good idea to be able to defend yourself.

But I don't really know where to begin. And it seems like there is a lot of legit information on this website (why I signed up) so I'm going to spend some time with the search-function as-advised, and I'll be around if I have any relevant questions.

Thanks!

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, Bulldogger!

What kind of MA are you thinking of? Would you prefer exchanging punches and kicks with someone (look up muay thai, boxing, kickboxing, kyokushinkai karate, etc.) or throwing them and trying to choke/break their limbs (judo, brazilian jiu jitsu, sambo, wrestling, etc.)?

How old are you? What do you do? - time and money might be a factor in chosing an MA school...

Check out the school review section of Bullshido as well.

Good luck and get back to us.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey! Thanks for the response.

Here's my vitals:

Height: 6'
    Weight: 220 lbs.
    Job: Unix and Linux Systems Engineer / Administrator

Hobbies: Powerlifting, Drawing and Painting, The Responsible Keeping of American Pit Bull Terriere

As for what I would like to learn, well, initially when I consider it, I don't think I would do very well working with a system where I left the ground a lot, if that makes any sense? I mean, my main wheelhouse is powerlifting, and when you're squatting, benching and deadlifting you're solid and stable on the ground and you're moving heavy (heavy "for you," it's all relative) weight and that's what I feel comfortable with. I don't like the idea of leaving the ground, jumping, or anything like that. You see wushu and TKD demonstrations and it looks cool, but I don't think I'm suited for that sort of thing.

Believe it or not, I haven't been in a fight since I was in 7th. grade. Just a schoolyard scuffle is all it was. I've always been an "Avoid Trouble by Just Being Cool-Headed" type of guy. I may look imposing, but I'm not an aggressive person at all. Punching and kicking may not be my thing, in this regard. And truthfully, if you asked me "Hey bulldogger, show us how you punch!" aside from a jab or two and a wild haymaker, that's about all I got.

I could probably kick pretty hard. But who knows.

Something with throwing, and joint locks, sounds interesting to me. I have a pretty big "personal bubble" in the sense that I don't like it when people get too close to me. Makes me uncomfortable, and I don't like that it makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd like to train that out of me, so that's one criteria I'd like to have in a program:

1. I want to feel comfortable in a face-to-face confrontation, in close-contact with an aggressor

...I'd like to be able to train in such a way as where I'd know that if I got my hands on somebody I'd be able to just manhandle and subdue them before they could seriously hurt me. Quickly as possible.

That's where I'm at so far... I don't think a traditional wushu or TKD program would be for me, and I'd like to do something that would play to my strengths, and that would also toughen me up and get me comfortable with somebody being in my face and bringing them down, you know?

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you're a larval grappler.

Check out your local Judo/SAMBO/BJJ/Submission Wrestiling gyms.

Loads of people on these boards will recommend Judo, its pretty much exactly what you're looking for, its usually cheap, freely available and quality controlled.

Style
    Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Having read your posts, i'd suggest you go with Judo. Get ready to fly! ;-)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found a lot of Judo in my area (Pittsburgh) when I did a search for local martial arts. I also turned up a lot of MMA and Muay Thai as well. This stuff is pretty popular around here.

In-terms of Judo, a school kept popping up in various searches:

Pittsburgh Yoseikan Academy

From their website (I can't post links yet), under "About:"

"Modeled after the original Yoseikan Hombu Dojo the Pittsburgh Yoseikan Academy is a non-profit school that offers high-quality training, for both children and adults, in several traditional Japanese Martial Arts and in accord with the principles of Japanese Budo(martial arts) training."

And about their Judo program, specifically:

"Like Aikido, Judo also evolved from Japanese jujutsu. While Judo is best known for it's spectacular throwing techniques it also involves considerable grappling, pins, joint locks and chokes. We strongly encourage students to develop in a balanced and complete way and discourage focusing on only the sporting aspect of Judo."

...there was a pointer to videos, but I don't see any in my browser. I will look for videos from this school when I get home (YouTube is blocked where I work).

I'm not too sure what they mean by not focusing solely on the "sport" aspect of Judo... What I mean is, by that, do they mean "Don't focus on using it for combat applications" OR "we teach you Judo, support you doing it in competition AND we also will show you how to use it in real-world application, too" ... I have to visit and find that out.

From reading this board, I get the impression that the Common Sense-based rule of thumb here is: Whatever program you choose has to encorporate combat applications against uncooperative opponents for it to be considered useful and real.

And I agree with that, and will look for this whenever I check out a school, like this one.

I'm going to see if I can visit and sit down and talk to the teacher about the program.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogger View Post
    ...Something with throwing, and joint locks, sounds interesting to me. I have a pretty big "personal bubble" in the sense that I don't like it when people get too close to me. Makes me uncomfortable, and I don't like that it makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd like to train that out of me...
    Nothing better for this purpose than grappling, believe me. I used to have the same attitude and it dissappeared after a while on the mats...

As most MA schools offer free introductory classes, best thing you can do is check out any training you google as interesting in your area and take part in the training.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Watch this video and then train you'll do fine.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also found anotherJudo place, South Hills Judo Club, run by a fella named Ricky Brown. I spoke to him on the phone this evening and he was personable, and invited me down to the club wednesday evening to watch the class. I told him I'd be there, and I'm looking forward to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last