Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2004 8:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time.
    I used to smoke and it was about a year before I could spar without being winded after the first minute.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2004 7:40pm

Style: Okanawan Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by m4949
    Time.
    I used to smoke and it was about a year before I could spar without being winded after the first minute.
    yo how long did you smoke for?

Last edited by B man; 1/28/2004 7:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2004 7:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by mixicus
    Provided there is no permanent damage to the tissue

could smoking for around 2 or 3 years give you perment damage. i though it was more like 7,10,20 years or more to get permanent damage?

Originally posted by mixicus
    Congrats on quiting smoking and Good Luck
    thank you i was probably 1 of the most hardest things to do, i had to change the people i hung out with and the things i use to do.
    Last edited by B man; 1/28/2004 7:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2004 8:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I smoked from age 15-19.....24-29...9 years total

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2004 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by m4949
    I smoked from age 15-19.....24-29...9 years total

Damn, how hard was it for you to quit and what stops from not smoking know? im just scared of starting up agian but with cigarette prices so high its not even worth it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2004 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lung damage

Itís all a matter of time. Smoking does cause permanent damage from the start. Itís a question of the degree and length of time for onset of symptoms. DNA based damage that will eventually manifest in cancer will most likely take years to be detected but it begins day one. Your body and statistics can deal with the occasional DNA mutation so it tends to take years of abuse (but maybe not). Emphysema, a chronic disease, is traditionally associated with old, life-long smokers. However if you have a pre-disposition for emphysema smoking will accelerated onset. When the disease is detected in 20-40 year olds, smoking is the most likely cause of the early appearance. Smoking for only a few years can cause chronic bronchitis (inflammation of the lung tissue). This is probably just long term not permanent. Then thereís always scaring from inhaling hot gases and particles. Tends to cause problems from built up damage over time butÖ Additionally, weakening the lungs by smoking puts you at risk for other diseases not directly tide to smoking. Those diseases can cause permanent damage as well.

Fortunately the human body, if given the chance, can repair itself quite effectively. Decrease lung volume, carbon monoxide saturated blood (canít transport oxygen), inflammation of the pulmonary tract, etc. will most likely recover in time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2004 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lifting wieghts will naturally decrease your cardiovascular endurance, because of the extra meat.
    That really depends on a number of things. As stated, though, I disagree.

This is worth repeating.

http://www.llnl.gov/LLESA-groups/cyc...strength.shtml
    Last edited by Nid; 1/29/2004 11:00pm at .

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    1/30/2004 12:30am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'That really depends on a number of things. As stated, though, I disagree.

This is worth repeating.'

sure, i understand. i was speaking more of extremes of either. most of my experience in this comes from the military. Many of the larger marines, weightlifters, did not have the endurance of the smaller guys. all carrying the same gear(wieght), and travelling the same distance. the bigger guys would have a much harder time of it. again this is more of an extreme, the smallest guys had problems too, mostly with the stride length of the troop.

on runs, you could really see the difference, light guys take off and go for miles, heavywieghts have to work hard to keep if, and in races, usually cannot.

a well balanced cross training program has to cover both aspects.

really, when i hear weightlifting, i automatically think of mr.universe types

a balanced athlete is the best. there does seem to be a point where an athlete will become too heavy for optimal performance. everybody is different. I have seen a few really big and well developed athletes that were also very fast, even from a standstill, and had great endurance. but they are a rarity, especially in ma.

no matter what, when you run, you will shrink up..

and when you lift you will get bigger, and stronger, and slower, and tighter.

if the intent is to enhance performance, then just alternate them and keep condensing.

if you want to look good and have glamour musculature, then be careful with running, and hard work, it will kill your beach muscle look....

Peace.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 6:20am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been smoking for about 15 years now. I quit for 6 months but was too convinced I made it so the addiction set back in. I'm just weak in mind ;) But: even if you smoke you can do cardio training and be really good. That is good for becoming very good fast after you stop smoking.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 7:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great work on quitting. Me ? I have never smoked and do not intend to nor do I drink.But normally a good martial arts class is a great cardio workout in itself. If yours is not thats o.k. Just do running or skipping rope in your spare time thats all. Don't push yourself too hard too soon. Gradually ease into it and progresss. Take it easy.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast