Thread: Evening All

Style
    Bujinkan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Evening All

Evening everyone. My name's Jon, I'm a writer and I've been studying under the Budo Warrior School of the Bujinkan for about a year and a half. I'm aware the Buj. doesn't have the best reputation as an organisation in the states, but in my locale (Gloucestershire, UK) they do a pretty good job.

Anyhow, looking forward to some interesting discussion.

Style
    jkd concepts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might go visit the Japanese style section in the Traditional Martial Arts forum.

You will note that folks don't take kindly to BUJ folk.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Style
    Bujinkan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed, I've read a few threads of Buj bashing. From what I'm aware of though, it tends to be the US schools which have the most BS to them. Some of the Eastern European countries - along with the UK - utilise the style very well though it seems.

Edit: Just read through the FAQ, quite interesting. To clear some bits up about my training at least, I've been doing 2 hours a week of training with an instructor, and about 2 a week of practicing away from classes for just under 20 months, and I'm currently a 7th Kyu.

When learning techniques, we usually practice them slowly at first, and then speed them up with full contact at all times; everyone walks away with bruises. The ethos is that it lets you feel how effective what you're practicing is, while conditioning you to be able to take pain.

In regards to sparring, we don't do a lot; though it's not unheard of. However, when practicing any technique - defending against a punch, kick etc. - we do each one with what's been described to me as "full intention", IE. If you don't move your head, you'll be losing some teeth. Throughout the technique also, the Uke is encouraged to counter, and both parties are encouraged to improvise. This often evolves into a 30second + sparring of sorts, with only damaging punches being pulled; eg. nut shots, eye gouging etc.
    Last edited by Whoopty; 8/27/2009 8:56am at .

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like there's some aliveness training in there then. You're right about a lot of school getting slagged off: too deadly to spar etc. etc.

Of course, you can always supplement your training if you ever felt like it too.

Anyway, welcome to Bullshido! But no lurking in the shadows now....damn Ninja's :)

Style
    Bujinkan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the kind welcome tideliar. I have been looking into possiblysupplementing things a bit, and noticed that Mark Weir - I'd link to his wikipedia, but it would have to wait to be moderated - operates a MMA school not far from me, so may check that out at some point.

I've been lurking for a year or so already, reading here and there and decided to jump in finally so I'm sure I'll stick around now.

Style
    Muay Thai

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.
    Style
    Rehab Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tideliar View Post
    Sounds like there's some aliveness training in there then. You're right about a lot of school getting slagged off: too deadly to spar etc. etc.
    There is no aliveness unless tori is actively trying to break teeth.

Doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not alive.

Welcome whoopty. Enjoy the show.

Style
    Bujinkan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    There is no aliveness unless tori is actively trying to break teeth.
    "we do each one with what's been described to me as "full intention", IE. If you don't move your head, you'll be losing some teeth."

I've been clocked in the head with hanbos, had a kick that cut me open above my eye and had multitudes of punches and bruises. All because I didn't move fast enough.

When we throw punches we try and take the other dude's head off. Up to him to get out the way and perform the technique we're practicing.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.
    Style
    Rehab Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopty View Post
    "we do each one with what's been described to me as "full intention", IE. If you don't move your head, you'll be losing some teeth."

I've been clocked in the head with hanbos, had a kick that cut me open above my eye and had multitudes of punches and bruises. All because I didn't move fast enough.

When we throw punches we try and take the other dude's head off. Up to him to get out the way and perform the technique we're practicing.
    The point of aliveness is to make it a contest where both parties intend to win. What you are describing is not alive.

Again, that by itself doesn't make it bad.

Style
    Bujinkan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah I see what you mean. Well that's all down to the people and how comfortable they are with the technique. If you've never learned it before it would be a waste of time the Uke coutnering it, as you'd never learn it properly. Once you're more capable they'll begin to counter to add some extra challenge to it, and if you don't counter the counter, they'll lock you up instead.