--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to the forums, new to the sport, beware!

Hey guys--
    Really I've got next to no martial arts experience other than a month or two of Karate when I was too young to spell it. Haven't been reading long, so mostly I'm going to be searching threads and looking for training advice and whatnot. In the meantime the incredibly annoying blurb asking me to post got to me post here.

I'm starting martial arts at (the only) a local club that has classes for MT Kickboxing, BJJ, MMA, and Trad Boxing. If anyone has any thoughts on the best place to start to get a good base I'd love to get the opinions. My roommate and I are both starting, and we're pretty competitive, so if it's something we could spar on our own with that would be tremendous.

Style
    running scared
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CellarDoor View Post
    Hey guys--

I'm starting martial arts at (the only) a local club that has classes for MT Kickboxing, BJJ, MMA, and Trad Boxing. If anyone has any thoughts on the best place to start to get a good base I'd love to get the opinions. My roommate and I are both starting, and we're pretty competitive, so if it's something we could spar on our own with that would be tremendous.
    Your question is too general. Are you training in all the arts listed at the gym and want to know how to do that? Are you wanting to know which of the arts is best for you to start in and add to later?

What do want to get out of your training? Do you want to do professional fighting? Do you want to learn self defense? Do you want to have a fun hobby?

Also, what do you prefer more? Do you like throwing, wrestling, kicking, hitting?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live? Central Il is not very specific.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoonDog View Post
    Your question is too general. Are you training in all the arts listed at the gym and want to know how to do that? Are you wanting to know which of the arts is best for you to start in and add to later?

What do want to get out of your training? Do you want to do professional fighting? Do you want to learn self defense? Do you want to have a fun hobby?

Also, what do you prefer more? Do you like throwing, wrestling, kicking, hitting?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    I'm wanting to know which arts would be most "beneficial" which I understand is an incredibly difficult question. The gym offers training in MT Kickboxing, BJJ, MMA, and Traditional Boxing. Obviously it's not very efficient to try to learn four at once without a good grounding in any to begin with so I'm trying to pick out what's best for me. As far as what i'm looking for--let's call it one part self defense, one part hobby, one part personal bragging rights to be able to tell myself I've added another ability. I'm a fairly good athlete, and as such if I manage to get good at it there is a definite chance of me getting into competitions, but for now lets assume i'm not planning on it.

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Where do you live? Central Il is not very specific.
    Peoria Area, but I go to school in Bloomington Normal, so anywhere between those two (about a forty five minute spread) is reasonable for me to drive.

Style
    running scared
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gym offers training in MT Kickboxing, BJJ, MMA, and Traditional Boxing. As far as what i'm looking for--let's call it one part self defense, one part hobby, one part personal bragging rights to be able to tell myself I've added another ability.
    Each of these styles is good. As long as the school is good that you are interested in is a good school, I would suggest taking a few classes of each style and see what you feel most comfortable with and enjoy.

Below is a link on choosing a good school. However the link to the article in that thread is not working correctly right now. Hopefully it will be fixed this weekend.

Finding a good martial arts school - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Style
    Clinchology: Judo & MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm wanting to know which arts would be most "beneficial" which I understand is an incredibly difficult question. The gym offers training in MT Kickboxing, BJJ, MMA, and Traditional Boxing. Obviously it's not very efficient to try to learn four at once without a good grounding in any to begin with so I'm trying to pick out what's best for me. As far as what i'm looking for--let's call it one part self defense, one part hobby, one part personal bragging rights to be able to tell myself I've added another ability. I'm a fairly good athlete, and as such if I manage to get good at it there is a definite chance of me getting into competitions, but for now lets assume i'm not planning on it.
    I'm not 100% convinced that you can't learn multiple arts at the same time so long as you're training each class enough times per week.

Imagine you walked in ATT or Jackson's MMA or AKA with no training and said "I wanna be an MMA fighter." I doubt they would tell you that you need to get a year of BJJ under your belt before you learn striking or that you'll need 10 ammy kickboxing matches before you learn grappling. They're going to start teaching you the basics of each range of fighting.

So it depends on the school's schedule and your schedule. There will be some overlap between the boxing and MT class, and the MMA class should incorporate MT, Boxing and BJJ, so it's not really like you're learning 4 arts, it's more like learning 2 and three-quarters. Or something.

BJJ, Boxing and MT are all great hobbies, teach you good self-defense and all you to compete very easily.

Take a few classes of each style and see which fits you best. We can't really tell you, you have to decide for yourself.
    Last edited by Ka-Bar; 8/08/2009 11:58am at .

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys. The main issue isn't whetherr or not I've got the ability to learn multiple arts but rather the time constraints on actual classes. I work forty hours at one job, I'm a teaching assistant (about a 10 hour commitment per week), I'm interning (another 10 hours), I have my actual lecture classes (around 10 hours), plus my other activities like strength training, basketball, rock climbing. It's not feasible for me to be at the gym six days a week to make sure I got 1-2 of each of those classes. I'd say two disciplines is my max that I can commit to and learn, and the only reason that's possible is because my friendd and I can work on techniques in our spare time.