Style
    TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dirty, dirty noobie

Hey gang-

Long time lurker, but have never posted. So, why now? Just getting tired of that pop up message telling me to post more than anything else.

Here's the run down:

Started TKD at 14. Quit when I was 22. Was in the Army Reserves for 6 years while I was in college. Went to Saudi Arabia and sparred some guys who boxed and got my ass handed to me. Quit TKD when I got back.

Started back in TKD for some unknown reason when I was about 34. Got my first and second BB in TKD (whoopty doo!). But at least it got me off the couch once in a while. Took a few years of Krav Maga at the same time.

Now I'm 41, and for the last few years I've been teaching a kickboxing-based circuit training class at a local gym. I'm still fat and lazy, but at least I don't wheeze walking up the stairs.

Anyway, that's the story of my MA life. Enjoy!

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido _V_.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD has a good base, but yeah they give away black belts so I'm not excited about mine either, hence TKD is not in my style field!

Welcome to the forum

Style
    TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried to bring some more difficult requirements to the black belt program and introduce more sparring requirements, but had little support from the owner of the dojang. So, that really didn't motivate me to stick around.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _V_ View Post
    I tried to bring some more difficult requirements to the black belt program and introduce more sparring requirements, but had little support from the owner of the dojang. So, that really didn't motivate me to stick around.
    IT really sucks when people you train with don't share the same enthusiasm you have for real training. They are often content with "drilling the basics" and confident that it will benefit them in a real fight.

Style
    Shorin Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am having similar problems in my karate school. We have the conditioning, but not the application.

I'm working on changing that, but it isn't easy. I think I may be the only one who actually cares to have the skills to defend myself. Everyone else seems to think it little more than Tae Bo.

Style
    TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does get to be a little like Tae Bo. They go through the motions and learn their poomse, mom writes a check, they get a belt. I was co-teaching the adult program for a period of time and put in a requirements for fitness and sparring for black belts. It was an 8 week program where you had to do so many push-ups etc per week. Run 10 miles a week and spar 20 rounds per week. I think it went really well. I went through it myself twice. But, when I tried to bring the idea to the kid's prgram as well, it died on the vine.