Thread: Yo

Style
    Shorin Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yo

I'm probably a rarity among most modern "martial artists." I'm actually a convert from Muay Thai and BJJ to Shorin Ryu karate. Weird, huh?

I trained in MT and BJJ for nearly 4 years. I'm still a terrible grappler. My standup is pretty good, at least that's what I try to tell myself.

I have worked in Detention for over 3 years now. Just recently started doing the 287g program. For those of you who don't know what that is, basically I also work for Homeland Security as an Immigration officer.

I stopped training for about 1 year due to having my first kid and a schedule change at work. Just recently started up again and decided to try something new. Though it is a new style, i've been doing "karate conditioning" for a few years. It always helped my ***** shins and elbows.

I was going to be doing some kali and silat, but I just found a USJA dojo that gives lessons for 45$ for an entire year. Hopefully gonna start that up this week.

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, MAMAs_Boy!

Despite the popularity of MT/BJJ, they aren't for everyone and the folks here on BS won't begrudge you for finding the MA that fits you best. If you're training with "aliveness" and in an art that doesn't overtly spout bullshido [IE. chi blasts!] then you should get along just fine here. You might find some more specific Shorin Ryu discussions over in the traditional style forums. There's a little link at the top of the page that'll take you over there.

Style
    Shorin Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info client.

I'm glad you mentioned the "aliveness" factor. As of right now, my shorin ryu school doesn't have it.

Maybe it is because I come from MT and BJJ, but I am planning a major overhaul in the style down the road. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of Kyokushin with the people that are up to it.

The style definitely has potential, just like any other style. The problem is that right now i'm one of only three students he has. We've found that there aren't many people that want REAL traditional karate. Most people think that traditional=Taekwondo.

Right now we do a lot of outdoor training, regardless of the weather. Our main focus is on fitness and conditioning.

Style
    Kendo, Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Shorin-Ryu Shidokan for a year, and while I resent the utter lack of aliveness my dojo had, I still really liked the style because it seemed to have a lot of potential(comparing it to what I'm learning in Enshin, aside from the chamber punching a lot of it is pretty similar). If you can get your dojo to drill with aliveness and spar, then that's fantastic.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you located? There might be some bullies in the area that would be down for a meetup/ throwdown or that can maybe also tell you of other training options in the area, if you are interested.

Style
    Shorin Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in the Northwest Arkansas area.

I'm not really interested in changing styles right now, but i'd definitely be for some good natured meetups/throwdowns.

I'm up for either grappling, straight boxing, kickboxing(no way i'm gonna meet up with someone I don't know and bang it out MT with elbows and knees) or MMA.

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a forum dedicated to what they call here "Throwdowns." Despite the name, they aren't about getting together and beating the ever living **** out of each other, but quite the contrary: they are a friendly meet-up of martial artists that get to test out their skills in a friendly environment. I'm thinking that if there are any bullies around Fayetteville, or reasonably close to it, you might be able to meet up and have a little fun.

Style
    Shorin Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. That would be pretty fun actually.