Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TTJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xandu, thanks for your perspective. It's valid and appreciated.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for the school in 2009 but calling this a McDojo seems incredibly off base from my experience. My wife and I looked at a lot of schools in the Portland area to find a good fit for our 6 year old daughter. We were looking for a school that focused on self defense, self discipline and respect. We weren't looking to train a future MMA fighter, we were just looking to use martial arts as a fun way to teach discipline to a often overly energetic kid.

TTJ fit the bill perfectly. My daughter has only been going to TTJ for a few months but during that time I have seen a significant improvement in her level of respect and self confidence. From what I've seen so far, belt advancement is handled how you'd expect a school to handle such things. At each belt level the student has a list of skills they must master before advancing and kids don't advance until they do. My daughter doesn't love practicing and we only go 1-2 times a week so we were not surprised that other kids that started at the same time as her advance belts before her. While I don't have a ton of experience in this area with my background being in boxing and judo, the belt pacing seems very individualized.

As for all of the criticism about the random classes offered, I can't really speak to that. I have sat in on different classes throughout the week and they seem to be 95% kids/family martial arts. Anyone who has met master Johnson or been to TTJ would find the idea of this school being some MMA blackbelt factory to be beyond laughable. If you are an adult looking to fight this is NOT the place for you. If you have a child that you'd like to learn to defend themselves and learn a little extra respect you should check TTJ out. It's that simple.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 6:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade Weston View Post
    I can't speak for the school in 2009 but calling this a McDojo seems incredibly off base from my experience. My wife and I looked at a lot of schools in the Portland area to find a good fit for our 6 year old daughter. We were looking for a school that focused on self defense, self discipline and respect. We weren't looking to train a future MMA fighter, we were just looking to use martial arts as a fun way to teach discipline to a often overly energetic kid.

TTJ fit the bill perfectly. My daughter has only been going to TTJ for a few months but during that time I have seen a significant improvement in her level of respect and self confidence. From what I've seen so far, belt advancement is handled how you'd expect a school to handle such things. At each belt level the student has a list of skills they must master before advancing and kids don't advance until they do. My daughter doesn't love practicing and we only go 1-2 times a week so we were not surprised that other kids that started at the same time as her advance belts before her. While I don't have a ton of experience in this area with my background being in boxing and judo, the belt pacing seems very individualized.

As for all of the criticism about the random classes offered, I can't really speak to that. I have sat in on different classes throughout the week and they seem to be 95% kids/family martial arts. Anyone who has met master Johnson or been to TTJ would find the idea of this school being some MMA blackbelt factory to be beyond laughable. If you are an adult looking to fight this is NOT the place for you. If you have a child that you'd like to learn to defend themselves and learn a little extra respect you should check TTJ out. It's that simple.
    Thanks for your input, but nothing you stated proves or disproves if it is a McDojo.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nothing wrong with taking things you have learned for real and train in all ranges and concepts.

whats wrong is when the people doing it have no real training in the sytems they have mixed and after a few years to months come up with these hybrid systems of sillyness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 12:35pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are always happy to have visitors!
    By the sounds of it, you are an instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoumai View Post
    I completely disagree that lack of regular sparring and tournaments means you are not learning effective martial arts.
    Without pressure testing your techniques and getting your students used to contact, once an actual fight happens, they'll be so pumped full of adrenaline and panicking that they won't be able to properly defend themselves.

Please don't say anything like, "We teach them to calm themselves down"; if you've ever been attacked, you'll know that so much adrenaline is being pumped into your body that you can hardly function, let alone think about your moves. The best you can do is use whatever muscle memory you have ingrained into you. If this muscle memory is based upon no- or light-contact fighting, the students will get beat very hard. Even in just a sparring situation, breaking the no-contact or light-contact mold is very difficult. So instead of learning how to defend themselves and fight, the students are learning how to protect their opponent by subconsciously restraining themselves.

The most basic basis of a martial art is whether or not you can use it to defeat someone of your same size and/or build. This is where sparring within a school comes in.

Then, the guideline for an effective (or most effective) MA comes the competition in between styles of MA, in which the system must be able to defeat other systems of fighting. This is why participation at full-contact tournaments are encouraged, and why certain styles such as Muay Thai, BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling, etc. have flourished in full-contact street simulations (i.e. Cage fighting). Of course, there are rules, but MMA is just about the closest one can get to a street fight while still protecting the participants.

Controlled sparring only between instructors and students occurs at various belt levels throughout the system to ensure students are learning blocking, avoidance, etc, but is not an emphasis in our art.
    Blocking? Avoidance? Why not learn how to pin, hold, supress, or knockout an assailant? Of course control is necessary, but by implying an emphasis on that (most people would just say "Sparring"), you make your style seem like a no/low-contact or martial art.

And by saying fighting is not an emphasis in your "war art", you're telling everyone not to take this style because you won't learn to fight in it.

I find it disheartening but unsurprising that people are willing to offer opinions, and even pass judgment on the credibility of an art based on the small amount they can glean from a website, without any first hand experience such as seeing a demonstration, meeting an instructor or student, or observing a class.
    The "small amount" from the site has some pretty crazy stuff though. Claims to teach LEOs, airline self defense and ER self defense? Without actually sparring, your style could get a LEO killed. And how realistic is it to get into a self defense situation within an emergency room?

Moreover, by "teaching" your students to fight inside an airplane may give them a bloated head as they try to Hero it by stopping the next 911 attack barehandedly. I'm going to make a conjecture (off of LEOs) and say that you teach your students how to defend themselves against knives, clubs, and guns as well.

Also, telling the students to never question the technique is screaming at me that this is a horrible school. Not allowing the students to question the techniques is both close-minded and the beginning signs of a cult. A student who doesn't question and spar with contact will never know if his technique would work at all, or he could ever actually pull it off. In fact, the instructor himself may not even know, or worse yet, may know, but still teach incorrectly.

As you seemed to emphasize blocks and avoidance, wouldn't you agree that a far more effective self defense style would be the 200m dash and parkour?

Anywho, looking at your relatively low prices, I'd say you aren't a McDojo, but rather a Bullshido.

But so be it, do you have any videos online you'd like to show us?

Edit: I'd also like to point out that if you say that your class is just focused on fitness, athleticism, and relaxation, it could easily be used by LEOs, much as any gym membership would. But your claim thus can't be to teach any self defense, which may sound contradictory, but you can find examples in many "Cardio Kickboxing" or "Fitness Kickboxing" classes.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 5/05/2013 12:39pm at .

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 12:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting,
    Several Questions.
    So if this is for self defense how do you handle
    Preventing Takedowns
    Ground Fighting
    Do you train in an Alive manner?(search this site for a definition)
    If your teaching self defense why do you include weapons training in these weapons
    -ninjato
    -shuriken
    -nunchaku
    -tonfa’s
    -kama
    -Bo and Jo staff
    -bokken
    For your stick fighting, what martial art basis are you using?
    At what belt level would you say one of your students has accumulated the skills to be considered "street effective"?
    Do you do forms/kata, if so how much is this knowledge part of the belt testing?
    Do you do full contact sparring(striking and grappling)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 1:22am

Style: BSL; Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked the website. Confusing, but I managed to figure out the following:

- Tien Tae Jitsu was created by Eric Johnson, so there's we can't argue much about lineage and stuff.
    - There's info linking the style to "Kenpo (a Chinese/Okinawan form of Karate), Hapkido (a form of Korean Karate), Kodakan Judo, Jui Jitsu (a Japanese form of martial arts similar to Judo) and Savate (a little known form of martial arts developed in France)".

The guys might have something good to teach - I can't judge that, since I didn't watch any video or anything. But, unfortunately, there's a lot of confusing info in the page. It might do for the lay man, but not for people who know a bit about martial art history and practice. Unfortunately, that's a very common problem with new systems - and fake old ones, if I might add.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:34am

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TienTaeJitsuTTJ

Fast forward to 1:05 for Ninjer creepin' through bamboo goodness!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12