Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done a lot of research on control-and-restraint courses (psych. workers, police, etc.) and have a colleague who teaches exactly these types of scenario-based courses in Holland.

Frankly, I'm hoping that your Aikido instructor is both very broad-minded and has a good deal of experience in dealing with (and teaching others to deal with) real-world violence. Teaching a series of formal Aikido techniques is really unlikely to cover the variables of a real control/restraint situation, partly because Aikido is designed to be a long-term study; you just won't get people to any reliable level of proficiency in a short-term course. That is exactly the issue with many similar courses offered to pysch. workers; the institutional-level assumption is "show them the moves, tick the 'training offered' box, problem solved." As we all know, it doesn't work out that way.

On the other hand, as was mentioned earlier, there are some Aikido-type techniques that can be modified to work fine in C&R situations, especially in team restraints. It comes down to the way the scenarios are trained more than anything else. Tony Blauer's C&R-oriented material is good and his scenario training is top-notch.

I strongly suggest going to http://blutube.policeone.com/ and searching for videos with the terms "control", "restraint", "scenario", etc. Some decent techniques and good examples of mock team takedown training, etc.

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 4:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude for what your looking for MAC should cover it. If you don't have any MAC trainers on your post then get some local Cops or MP's to come in and teach defensive tactics. Thats the nice stuff that LEO's have to employ to control non-compliant citizens. They aren't even allowed a full-on choke but it is legal and taught for LEO work and works well enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 11:47am

Style: Noob-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just now saw the thread.

Variations on irimi nage (omote and ura) can be used with rifles in place of the arm movements. Ergo, the technique can be used without compromising muzzle awareness too much IMO.

I would advise working with both buttstock and barrel as the leading edge of the movement (where your hand normally is) to see how the resulting takedown plays out. Buttstock at the lead provides more *thwack*, while a barrel lead can result in the muzzle facing the target when he slams the deck.

Bear in mind, I haven't carried an M-16/M4 in quite a long time.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 12:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grant,

I've just got home after a lengthy SF intro Cadre, I'm pretty fucked up at the moment but will respond ASAP.

Hope you're well buddy

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12