Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 6:35pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea I probably should have specified I did Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu Iaido and never encountered it in that system (as far as I remember) but as Yoj proved it apparently does exist elsewhere in legit Koryu. However given how rare it is seeing it used as a goto move is probably still a good indicator of BS

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 6:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did learn one Battojutsu kata that involved a "reverse" grip sword. But the point was it was a "unique" draw for surprise purposes. Its literally the exception and ONLY time I seen "reverse grip" Japanese Sword Work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:03am

Style: old fashion hell-raising

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that cut was bad. any info on how it happened?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lockfield View Post

Looks like he just missed the saya and rammed the thing up his arm...

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 1:59am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lockfield View Post
    In essence he did just what the last post suggested.

Don wasn't studying under an instructor but was using a textbook with illustrations as the means of learning whilst using a live edged blade.

Ironicaly, the injury was sustained with the sword held in the reverse grip method
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 3:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I done some (2 months) iai and i've only seen a reverse grip us to put the sword away, (I haven't done enough to remember the japanese word for it.) My guess is thats what the guy was doing when he cut himself.
    There is a guy on Youtube demonstrating changing to a reverse grip and then cutting horizontally, which looks cool, and i tried it at home with my bokken.
    There is a lot of spinning the sword, which is impressive, but would allow an opponent to get too close.
    And if you spin(rotate) a sharp sword, and you don't have sufficient training...Post the photos so we can all see why you shouldn't.
    It seems to me that a reverse grip is an emergency grip or when an opponent is close.
    It might be useful in a quick draw situation as in the movie 'sanjuro, 1962'.(but he used his left hand in reverse grip,cheeting but effective)
    I thing you would need to strenghten your hand specially, so you would actually be able to test cut with such a technique.(which is a good way to test if its useful).
    ok hope that helps

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 8:10am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by siliconn View Post
    I done some (2 months) iai and i've only seen a reverse grip us to put the sword away
    After two months of Iai you haven't even begun to scratch the surface so what makes your opinion valid ?
    My guess is thats what the guy was doing when he cut himself.
    ... my article clearly illustrates in both written and pictorial form how "the guy" as you described him actually injured himself, so again your "guess" on how the injury happened is worthless.
    There is a guy on Youtube demonstrating changing to a reverse grip and then cutting horizontally, which looks cool, and i tried it at home with my bokken.
    There is a lot of spinning the sword, which is impressive, but would allow an opponent to get too close.
    You're a moron.
    And if you spin(rotate) a sharp sword, and you don't have sufficient training...Post the photos so we can all see why you shouldn't.
    Try it yourself, after two months of iaikeiko, you'll be about ready.
    It seems to me that a reverse grip is an emergency grip or when an opponent is close.
    It might be useful in a quick draw situation as in the movie 'sanjuro, 1962'.(but he used his left hand in reverse grip,cheeting but effective)
    Trying to equate a Samurai movie to actual iai or ken waza is laughable.

Did you miss my earlier post where I describe an actual iai kata known as "gyakuto" ? Obviously

... gyaku = 逆 Reverse (or opposite)

... to = 刀 sword

I thing you would need to strenghten your hand specially, so you would actually be able to test cut with such a technique.(which is a good way to test if its useful).
    Stop thinking.
    ok hope that helps
    No it doesn't, stop posting drivell on a subject you yourself admit to have no real experience in.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 8/16/2009 8:50am at .

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 8:49am

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas View Post
    Try it yourself, after two months of iaikeiko, you'll be about ready. Trying to equate a Samurai movie to actual iai or ken waza is laughable.

After two months of Iai you haven't even begun to scratch the surface so what makes your opinion valid ? ... Stop thinking. No it doesn't, stop posting drivell on a subject you yourself admit to have no real experience in.
    :eusa_doh:
    Damn, tell me it ain't so!
    But I still like the sword duel scene in the garden early on in The Seven Samurai.
    Do you want me to get my JSA training from legitimate & experienced teachers? That takes effort and commitment.

Now be nice, it does take at least three months to become a seasoned swordsman.

:new_popco
    But please put your first live blade practice on video and upload it to YouTube, everyone else does these days. Just have the first aid kit ready.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 10:25am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    :eusa_doh:
    Damn, tell me it ain't so!
    But I still like the sword duel scene in the garden early on in The Seven Samurai.
    Do you want me to get my JSA training from legitimate & experienced teachers? That takes effort and commitment.

Now be nice, it does take at least three months to become a seasoned swordsman.

:new_popco
    But please put your first live blade practice on video and upload it to YouTube, everyone else does these days. Just have the first aid kit ready.
    What ?

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Simio de las Rocas' ouch, yes i didn't read your whole post, it was too long.

"Gyakuto" doen't look like its in ZNKR iai, so even if i go back to it, ill have to learn it off youtube.

'Sysyphus' yes i like the garden scene in seven samuri too...

So you recon another month...Then ill be and expert...Maybe i can progress from 'Ippon me'.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast