Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 2:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Koryu Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are quite a few ryuha out there that actually have gyakute/sakate (逆手 - Reverse Hand) techniques in their syllabus. As has been pointed out previously in the thread, they are more of an "Oh ****!" technique rather than a proper dyed in the wool fencing technique.

It's usually used at close quarters when being grabbed or held, as a method of buying distance before changing grip to honte (本手 - Orthodox grip) or as a method of finishing an already downed opponent. (This is called todome - Basically a coup de grace) from what I have seen in Japan. Sakate techniques that I have seen done (some of which I have been taught) have been performed with either uchi-gatana or wakizashi. Takenouchi-ryu have a bunch of sakate techniques in their kogusoku (grappling with a wakizashi or yoroi doushi dagger) skill sets, even a left handed sakate technique.

The fourth technique on this clip of Otake Risuke Shihan demonstrating Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu. Gyaku Nuki No Tachi shows a sakate technique segued into an honte technique.

YouTube- Risuke Otake - Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-Ryu || 天真MonkeyScrotumCleaning.tv伝香取神道流

Other notable ryugi that use sakate techniques are Takenouchi-ryu, Araki-ryu, Kiraku-ryu, Sosuishi-ryu, Mugai-ryu and a few others. Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu & Muso Shinden-ryu (Which are related via lineage) have a technique where the grip of the sword is reversed after cutting to finish a downed enemy.

Other than that, it's not very realistic or feasible as a sword already drawn fencing technique.
    Last edited by kumiuchi; 3/12/2010 2:21am at .
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910