Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

aussie judo newb

Hi all, after a ~18 month stint in kyokushin I've recently moved on to judo.
    I've only just started but it's awesome. I've never done any kind of grappling before and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the ground game, as it was the standing 'tachi-waza' side of things that had me interested in judo to begin with.

Does anybody know of any good judo dvds or books I can get my hands on in Australia?
    I've been crawling videos on youtube but a book would be good because I need to get my head around the judo lingo.

Style
    Judo, Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The absolute must have book for any judoka is "Kodokan Judo" by Jigoro Kano. It contains pretty much everything on judo from the throws to ground techniques to the katas.

Amazon.com: Kodokan Judo: The Essential Guide to Judo by Its Founder Jigoro Kano (9784770017994): Jigoro Kano: Books is where to find it.

Style
    Clinchology: Judo & MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You bastard. You have the opportunity to learn Kyokushin and you gave it up?

Nothing says you can't train KK and judo at the same time. I think Oyama was a Yondan in judo.

Anyways, back to your question, I really like Judo Unleashed by Neal Ohlenkamp, but it's not for beginners. It would be a worthwhile purchase, however.

For beginners, I like Best Judo by by Isao Inokuma & Nobuyuki Sato and Judo Techniques & Tactics by Jimmy Pedro.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left kyokushin because over the time I was there the focus went from conditioning and sparring to kihon (basic techniques) and kata. By the end we were lucky to spar once a month and then even began to stop doing bag work.
    I think this was because a lot of new people joined the dojo and many of them were "less than physically capable" and the class got too big to manage.
    A couple of these people who failed a grading made a bit of a scene and so were given a pass just to shut them up.
    I woke up one morning and realised I hated karate kata and was wasting my money.

I was going to take up muay thai instead but discovered I can't afford it (poor uni student) but judo is within my budget.
    When I have more money I'll probably get back into some kind of striking art to do along side judo.
    Kyokushin karate is a great martial art, but judo is coming across as being a lot more of challenge, and everything we do actually seems practical so I'm pretty happy with my decision.

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the board!

Whereabouts in QLD do you live?

Style
    Kendo, Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooh, that sucks. A good Kyokushin dojo shouldn't have been slowed down by an influx of chunky newbs(god knows Guam Kyokushinkai wasn't), and sure as **** shouldn't have cut down on the kumite. Still, probably not a lot you could have done about it, so throw yourself into Judo, because Judo is awesome.

Also, welcome to Bullshido!

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aye the kumite should have cut down on the noobs not the noobs cutting down the kumite.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on the Gold Coast, QLD

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, I live in Brisbane. We have quite a few members in brissie and the goldcoast. Would be great if you could stick around, if you have any questions about the site just ask away.