solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New York, NY - Kokushi Budo Institute -Judo

Kokushi Budo Institute is run by Sensei Nobuyoshi Higashi, who holds an 8th Dan in Judo from the Kodokan (and also holds a 10th Dan in Jujutsu, and 7th Dan in both Tomiki Aikido, and Kokushi Karate.) Normally I would be skeptical of someone with such high Dan ranks in so many arts, but Higashi Sensei is the real deal.

Classes are very traditional, but there is a great training atmosphere and everyone makes sure that new students feel welcome (hence the 10 rating.)

I gave the school top ratings for aliveness, as they had me doing randori and newaza on my first day (although i was partnered with senior students and they were very careful not to hurt me, and to offer resistance while rewarding good technique by allowing me to throw them when the set up was more or less correct.)

Equipment got a 9 because although the mats are very nice, and the space is immaculately clean, I didn't see a crash mat, or throwing dummy, or gym equipment (free weights, kettlebells, etc.)

Gym size got an 8 because the space isn't very large (although it was perfect for the class size.) With huge locations like ATT getting a 10, I need to rate this appropriately. Bigger is not better, necessarily, but I want to give an accurate review.

With a small class, each student gets a lot of attention, and there are a lot of high ranked judoka in the class, who are happy to help. Also, Sensei's son, Higashi Shintaro, is often assisting, and he is a top level international Judo competitor. With both Higashis in the same room teaching a class of less than 10 students, that's a fantastic teacher/student ratio and well deserving of a 10.

I cannot comment on the striking instruction, and weapons instruction so I won't rate those.

The grappling instruction gets a 9, only because there are some better places to work on pure ground grappling here in NYC (because they focus 100% on ground grappling, both gi and no-gi, etc.) If I was to rate the *Judo* grappling instruction, I would give it a 10, as they produce international level competitors.

All in all, I cannot recommend this dojo enough, and I may add to this review when I have been training there longer.
    Last edited by Ming Loyalist; 9/07/2009 8:58am at .
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 10:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you think about the price? 160$ a month for only 2 classes a week, even for NYC standards this sounds a bit much.
    Other than that, nice review and have fun training there.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M.C: Although expensive, the price is within the competitive range of costs for NYC.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 10:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    although it seems expensive for Judo, and there is an option for more classes/week that is more expensive (i forgot the amount and will update when i know) it really isn't bad.

as tom said, considering the price of other NYC martial arts, and considering the level of instruction, it's not expensive at all.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 1:58pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thought standard judo aliveness was an 8

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    thought standard judo aliveness was an 8
    actually it's supposed to be from 8-9 (i should have read that guideline.)

will change to a 9 based on the fact that striking is not involved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 4:14pm

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From their website:

Instruction:
    By founder of Kokushi-ryu Jujutsu, Soke=10th Dan

Hhhmmmnnnnnnn...
    I do believe with my limited knowledge of Japanese that "Judan" is equal to 10th dan and "Soke" means something very else, and Soke perhaps is the most misused honorific title in the MA world. Not just my humble opinion BTW.
    :flipando:

That is, was Nobuyoshi Higashi's father the previous headmaster of Kokushi-ryu Jujutsu?

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's got legit >5th dan ranks in judo, tomiki aikido and karate. He gets to make up a style.

Even though he made it up a few decades ago: http://judoforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7240.html

http://www.espytv.com/higashi.htm

He's also, I believe, Japanese, and the founder of the style, so if he wants to say soke then whatever.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I know but consider this, I trained at Renzo for around 230$ a month with about 25classes a week available. And I think Steve offers a similar amount for around 160$ I think. (don't nail me on that one)
    I know prices in NYC are high but for that you should get more than 2 classes.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    Well, I know but consider this, I trained at Renzo for around 230$ a month with about 25classes a week available. And I think Steve offers a similar amount for around 160$ I think. (don't nail me on that one)
    I know prices in NYC are high but for that you should get more than 2 classes.
    So fucking what?

They aren't gouging and they aren't selling garbage, and your point is noted. Now shut up.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast