Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IME, lots of martial arts schools either don't want students or simply assume word of mouth will bring them in. Multiple schools in my area have little more than a non-ad yellowpages entry, and even then some don't return calls, apparently. IOW, if you dig a little deeper, I'd imagine you can find some other options.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 1:32pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have nothing to contribute to a technical style vs. style argument as I have no experience of either. You should ask yourself what you're looking for in your training though. If you're looking to learn how to fight then I think both styles have a reputation for duff schools and you may be better off in something else.

This will depend on the school though so you should definitely go to a class or two of each and have a look around. If a school does not contain a good number of strong, athletic young men who spar regularly with contact then you will almost certainly not become a fighter by going there (no offence intended to the many excellent female fighters out there).

If they do claim to spar you should try and watch a couple of them go at it. If it doesn't look like a fight then it probably isn't. Youtube is full of videos of people who think they're sparring but are actually doing some kind of freestyle mandancing. Don't become one of those people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 2:43pm

Style: Getting less fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by galois View Post
    If it doesn't look like a fight then it probably isn't. Youtube is full of videos of people who think they're sparring but are actually doing some kind of freestyle mandancing. Don't become one of those people.
    Now that is pure gold.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Pope View Post
    good initial entry techniques and intial postional advantages.
    Wing Chun will teach you how to very effectively be bottom-fucked

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 5:39pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't do either. Pick up an instrument instead and spend that time playing. Wait until you can go to a better club.

Not worth wasting your time man. Four years of the chun and all I got was aids.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 6:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    100xobm
    Are serious man you really got AIDs?
    Or are you saying you got fucked?

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 8:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun vs Goju Ryu

First to honestly answer your question, I have a fourth degree in Okinawan Goju Ryu. I have also worked out and learn the concepts of wing chun from my cousin Sifu Daniel Hammond. The truth of the matter is what each style offers. Wing Chun was a softer art. Through years of extensive practice one hardens ones body from the inside out. Where as Goju Ryu is a combination of hard and soft. Working on both hard and soft as one. Now for the gentleman who was beaten using goju ryu I apologize as an instructor. Most martial arts teachers do make students wait for years before they really teach them to test their students loyalty. Personally, speaking I would recommend Goju Ryu because I understand it's concepts better. The kata Sanchin hardens and unifies mind, body, and spirit. Also when properly done the body becomes resistant to injury. Using the makiwara conditions the hands to destroy. I personally have been in several bare knuckle fights and each one I have cause serious damage without having to utilize close to full power. Traditional Goju Ryu you will learn to harden your body without boxing gloves, shin guards etc. If you want to train in MMA then condition your body rigorously. I always say" YOU FIGHT THE WAY YOU TRAIN" TRAIN LAZY AND YOU WILL FIGHT LAZILY":cachas:

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 9:22pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a fight between Goju and WC, who wins?

Comedy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 9:46pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmius31k View Post
    First to honestly answer your question, I have a fourth degree in Okinawan Goju Ryu. I have also worked out and learn the concepts of wing chun from my cousin Sifu Daniel Hammond. The truth of the matter is what each style offers. Wing Chun was a softer art. Through years of extensive practice one hardens ones body from the inside out. Where as Goju Ryu is a combination of hard and soft. Working on both hard and soft as one. Now for the gentleman who was beaten using goju ryu I apologize as an instructor. Most martial arts teachers do make students wait for years before they really teach them to test their students loyalty. Personally, speaking I would recommend Goju Ryu because I understand it's concepts better. The kata Sanchin hardens and unifies mind, body, and spirit. Also when properly done the body becomes resistant to injury. Using the makiwara conditions the hands to destroy. I personally have been in several bare knuckle fights and each one I have cause serious damage without having to utilize close to full power. Traditional Goju Ryu you will learn to harden your body without boxing gloves, shin guards etc. If you want to train in MMA then condition your body rigorously. I always say" YOU FIGHT THE WAY YOU TRAIN" TRAIN LAZY AND YOU WILL FIGHT LAZILY":cachas:
    Poor choice for the first post i think.

why dont you introduce yourself in noob section first?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 9:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Can we merge this thread with Questions about wing chun - No BS MMA and Martial Arts ?

Same OP, same question, one with the variable of Goju.
    I just read through this thread. OP, if you want to chun so badly, just do it and get it out of your system. Wear the uniform, play patty cake with your fellow students, and slap the wooden dummy to your heart's content. In time, you'll hopefully grow out of this phase and develop a desire to learn to fight for real. But if none of the ex-chunners here can convince you that the chun is a waste of time and you're far better off looking for (to name just one example) a boxing gym, then no one can.
    Last edited by Rexley; 12/05/2010 9:54pm at .
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast