Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 1:23am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    Good choice! I hadn't heard of Sullivan, probably because he's from so long ago. Aside from being a great American athlete, he also has an awesome mustache.

Reading his wikipedia entry, I'm amazed at how tough fighters back then must have been, fighting for 80 rounds, passing out from loss of blood etc.
    They were tough as nails, but bear in mind that the real old-timers were fighting under different rules from the modern game. For example, a round ended when either fighter hit the dirt, either by knockdown or via a standing throw (which was legal under London Prize Ring rules), rather than by timing out - that's how you get records of bare-knuckle fights lasting so many rounds.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 1:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by X_plosion View Post
    All those fellows mentioned above were great.

I'd just like to add that It's too bad that the racism of his time kept Sam Langford from fighting for a championship. I think he deserved a try at his division's title.
    Sam Langford had astounding skills. He actually pulled off a defensive cartwheel in one of his fights.

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 5:39am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    I love watching and reading about boxing, and I love being exposed to new masters of the sweet science that I can read up on.

My personal favorite boxer is Jack Dempsey, I love reading about old fights from that era (there are a couple of great Dempsey biographies out there, my favorite is Jack Dempsey, the Manassa Mauler by Randy Roberts) and I am a fan of that era of boxing.

List your favorite boxers here, and if you want to, what you think makes them great or unique!
    Odd that you're all only naming Heavyweights - but even so, excellent choices and I'm impressed that Sam Langford was named. Well done that man. John L "The Boston Strong Boy", yeah, bestrode into any bar and would exclaim "I can lick any Bum in the House". And he could.

Disagree with Johnson but only 'cos he was well known as Obnoxious. He won the title from Burns (5ft 7ins) defended against Ketchel (5ft 7ins) would NOT defend against Langford (5ft 7ins) nor Jeanette nor any African American. Genuinely lost to Willard. Was Jealous and spoke ill of Joe Louis. Genuinely lost to a 1-Eyed fighter, yes, Marvin Hart...not many know that.

Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay). The Masterful (and Brave) Ring General. The Brillliant Will o' The Wisp (Brave and Elusive).

LW. Ken Buchanan. Brilliantly elusive. Tough.

Sugar Ray Leonard. Genuis.
    Sugar Ray Robinson. Genius. Check his incredible Ring Record.
    Thomas Hearns. I loved watching him deliver 1 punch KOs and he boxed.

I could go on but would only bore. Overall, Ali/Clay for me (cos I saw many of his fights and I know the context.

Jack Dempsey. Obviously Great. The book's good but lacks a Ring Bio.
    Gene Tunney. His recent Bio has both his and Jack's Ring Records. Good. He also wrote his own Auto-bio "A Man Must Fight" which I've never managed to read. His whole being/Career was targetted at Dempsey. Personally, he was a snob. His wife Polly Launder passed away last year IIRC.

Anyway. Good subject and good replies. :icon_thum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 5:52am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Jack Dempsey

2. Muhammad Ali

3. Joe Louis

4. Sugar Ray Robinson

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 6:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Daniel Mendoza - 5'7" 160 lb bare-knuckle champion who beat the heaviest men at a time when there were no weight divisions in professional prize-fighting. Also credited with introducing scientific defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Mendoza

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 8:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some nice suggestions on here so far....

Ah, well if we are dipping into more modern era fighters:

~I second Eddie's mention of Tommy Hearns. I loved watching Hit Man in his wars with the top Welter-Middleweight fighters of his day. He had great speed, great power and an awesome slip utilizing the Kronk guard. His chin.....not so much.

~Greg Haugen. This guy went from fighting Heavyweights in Alaskan Toughman competitions to beating, arguably, the time's most skilled Lightweight champion Jimmy Paul. Guy had some great wars with Vinnie Pazienza, both verbal and physical, and wasn't known for any individual skills, but more his heart and tenacity and his ability to just take a beating and outlast his opponent.

~Floyd Patterson. Just an all around classy guy. Small heavyweight who managed to stand in with the bigger guys and almost captured the Hvy title for a third time, were it not for a pesky creature known as Cassius Clay. Along with Jose Torres was crucial in paving the way for a Mike Tyson by legitimizing Cus D'Amato as a quality trainer. Also, KOed Ingmar Johannson with a Superman Punch.

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 8:34am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    There are some nice suggestions on here so far....

Ah, well if we are dipping into more modern era fighters:

~I second Eddie's mention of Tommy Hearns. I loved watching Hit Man in his wars with the top Welter-Middleweight fighters of his day. He had great speed, great power and an awesome slip utilizing the Kronk guard. His chin.....not so much.

~Greg Haugen. This guy went from fighting Heavyweights in Alaskan Toughman competitions to beating, arguably, the time's most skilled Lightweight champion Jimmy Paul. Guy had some great wars with Vinnie Pazienza, both verbal and physical, and wasn't known for any individual skills, but more his heart and tenacity and his ability to just take a beating and outlast his opponent.

~Floyd Patterson. Just an all around classy guy. Small heavyweight who managed to stand in with the bigger guys and almost captured the Hvy title for a third time, were it not for a pesky creature known as Cassius Clay. Along with Jose Torres was crucial in paving the way for a Mike Tyson by legitimizing Cus D'Amato as a quality trainer. Also, KOed Ingmar Johannson with a Superman Punch.
    Greg Haugen. Yep, very tough. Even went to fight Julio Cesar Chavez (at the top of his game) in Me-hi-co in front of 120,000 fans. Probably only his trainer and bucket man were on his side in that one.

Jimmy Paul. When he won his IBF World title it even surprised Manny Steward. He'd thought of Paul as the least talented fighter in the Kronk (apparently) hence the surprise.

OK, who's going to mention Charley Burley - of whom we've heard but few have seen?

Archie Moore. Won the LH World title likely over 40 years - held if for 10years and had most defences until Mike Spinks. Most KOs. Fought for the title against Rocky, lost the vacated title to Floyd P. and lost his last fight to young Clay (Ali) when he was, what(?) 50years. Anyone ever seen his defence against the Canadian Yvon Durelle? Oh My Word.:drunken_s

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 9:55am

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Floyd Patterson! Another favorite of mine. One of these days I'm going to take some boxing classes and learn the peek-a-boo guard.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast