Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 11:26am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

diet and weightloss help!

hai guyz.

well, yeah. last year i was 245lbs, at a... towering... 5'10". this is when i started training in january. i dropped an assload of weight, and got into real shape for the first time in my life. the first couple of months was purely learning BJJ, and trying to get into decent grappling shape. then i started dieting, and by summer i had dropped down to 185lbs. i was eventually training 2x a day, conditioning in the mornings, technique at night.

i was in the best shape ever. an injury forced me to not train more than 1x a week for 2 months this year. i lost some cardio, gained a little weight, but got back into training. was at 190lbs when i resumed my training. then, a few days ago, they decided to organize a no-gi submission grappling tournament. in the intermediate class, there would be only 2 weightclasses, >170 and <170. i started dieting last week to see if i could make it down to 170, given being in the lower weights of the heavy class. my instructor said if i could do it easily, it was definitely a good idea.

i decided to try and use the same diet i used to lose my initial weight. i forgot that it perhaps worked so damn well because i was FAT. i would do the diet, take a multivitamin tablet, and was training 3x a week or so at the time...

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...-any-exercise/

basically, no carbs, no sugar. only carbs right after training, 1 cheat day a week. was 188lbs or so when i began last monday. not taking vitamins (i ran out, and i am broke)

by yesterday i was 182.4lbs, but i felt ZAPPED. where i normally train at 6am, BJJ, then i do conditioning/strength, and then BJJ at night, yesterday i just did judo and couldn't fucking move. felt dizzy and weak

i went to a near cornerstore, bought something with some sugar in it, and a gatorade, and was REBORN! talked to my instructor, he said it's the diet, and better to fight in the heavies with power than make lw and be weak, or worse, NOT make it, and be weak.

he suggested i try a protein supplement with 0 carbs, and an aminoacid supplement, and see how it affects my power. if it doesn't change radically, to forget about it.

at this point, i think making 170 is a bit out of reach. tournament is on the 22nd of august, and i believe we weigh in right before we fight.

but all things aside, what would be a proper nutrition plan for doing what i want to do (lose fat, while keeping power/cardio, during intense training)?

what kind of supplements should i DEFINITELY look into?

i read the threads on weightcutting, but i was trying to not CUT the weight, rather reach the 170 somewhat 'naturally', if that makes any sense. dehydration will probably kill me if the weigh in is right before the matches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 12:46pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you might need more carbs to sustain that training pace. carbs before training lets you work harder during training.

you can't live on protein supplements, what kinds of things are you eating? what are your sources of fat? fiber?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was eating a combination of:

lettuce
    tomatoes
    onions
    mushrooms
    pickles
    tuna
    beef
    chicken
    pork
    eggs
    mayonnaise

ie. tuna salad, chicken salad, scrambled eggs with veggies, fired eggs with ham, stuff like this.

post training, i'd throw in some bread, crackers... stuff with flour. i was pretty dandy first time around, then again, back then i wasn't training at this level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that all sounds like good stuff. switching from real mayo to miracle whip might be a good substitution. lean beef is more expensive and not as juicy, but its lower calorie and has less fat.

i swear by lowfat cottage cheese.

try eating more almonds and other nuts. Studies have shown people who eat nuts become leaner. I don't have any citation for you though. they have good fats that support hormone production and they keep you full.

those aren't the most packed with vitamins veggies either. I like keeping frozen fruit in my freezer and eating a handful of it most days for vitamin C and fiber.

otherwise, the only other advice i have is to focus on carb intake before and after a workout and focus on protein intake the rest of the time. i don't believe in starving yourself to diet, but you and i have very diffrent genetics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 8:33pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 8:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing\Ground and Pound

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I do is increase my H20 intake up to 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of water a day with a high fiber diet... and a laxitiv may help.. its amazing what taking aspring on a regular cycle can do... and to curve the hunger pains at night... I eat cold baby food or raw broc.

But for regular meals;
    High Protien(amazing how much protien is in skim milk)
    High Fiber
    NO NO NO NO SUGAR(minus my energy drinks)
    NO BOOZE\BEER

Being in the military I'm forced to eat 3 times a day as an E-2 I make pennies so I cant load up on **** in the freezer.. and have those 6 meals a day... so ya..

and its so underlooked the amount of calories that burnt during sleep... I try to get any where from 9-12 hours of sleep a day (on a weekend)

Thats my deal, everyone is different and we can reccomend sh*t all day, but what it comes down to is; whats good for your body and what works for you. Were all different. Biggest mistake is people don't know their own bodies.

Hope that helps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 11:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    started taking BCAAs today.

Dymatize 2200s.

i feel

like a

million dollars.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE? wow.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wing chun,aikido takemusu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Internet and Diets = Turd Monkeys

Don't listen to all the fad diet crap, its as bad as the internet itself.
    If you want to be fit, and fitter, you know inside yourself what you have to do.
    You will know this before you do it, you wouldn't even have to ask questions.
    It has alot to do with how you spend your time.
    Spend your time sitting, you will not burn calories.
    Spend your time active and moving and lifting, you will automatically burn calories.
    This is a difference between office workers and laborers.
    Eating fruits vegetables and grains whenever you are hungry will give you nutrition, and not waste calories.
    And I mean any time you are hungry, eat those foods.
    Things like milk and cheese thicken your skin, sometimes some of us might want thick skin.Then its good to eat those things.
    You know if your body is in balance, you would not need to even think about this right?
    But you are asking a question that can never be solved on a mass scale.
    But it can be solved internally in individuals.
    But they have to understand the basics of all things first.
    Spend your spare time running up a mountain, make climbing the mountain your goal.
    Start with a small mountain, end up climbing Everest.
    And when you get to the top of the mountain scream to your God, scream to your higher being, I have defeated this, I have done this.
    Scream it loud.
    I have conquered this thing.
    And then you will find the next level.
    The alternative to this is you could just join a Health Club.
    They will sort you out with diet and exercise on a scientific scale.
    And you will lose weight if you stick to their program.
    But no one every mush sticks to their programs.
    So perhaps look to yourself to do the work.
    Peace

blotter art.

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 12:28am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't give nutrition advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by button_hater View Post
    Don't listen to all the fad diet crap, its as bad as the internet itself.
    If you want to be fit, and fitter, you know inside yourself what you have to do.
    You will know this befo
    . . .
    every mush sticks to their programs.
    So perhaps look to yourself to do the work.
    Peace
    WTF is this crap? are you calling me a turd monkey?

Things like milk and cheese thicken the skin?

His goal is to lean up a bit and he should instead climb everest? and then scream?

you're an idiot.

Diet advice from whatever retarded alternative universe chunners and aikidoka come from...

So Ronaldk, how'd the tourny go?

If you're still looking for supplements, creatine will let you lift more and train harder and is cheap (<$10 a month from Walmart). Its been around for decades and appears to be safe and effective.
    Last edited by atom; 8/23/2009 12:56pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast