Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 2:59pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Counter-programing will only work if Strikeforce foolishly goes the ppv route. The UFC would not be able to get much effect counter-programming a CBS card.
    Strikeforce is pretty much sunk then. You're right, it is foolish.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/070820...nes-drawn.html

Coker said he expected to soon announce a date and venue for Emelianenko's first match, which will be held in the fall. He said that he, Showtime and M-1 have to talk and agree on a first opponent. He also targeted entering the pay-per-view arena in six to nine months, which would be either the second or third fight on Emelianenko's contract.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx View Post
    Strikeforce is pretty much sunk then. You're right, it is foolish.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/070820...nes-drawn.html
    The thing is that they can us earlier CBS fights to increase their stature and make ppv's viable. This is the same strategy that the UFC employs with Spike: its primarily to maintain high ppv numbers.

Affliction and Pride never had the US stature to make ppv's viable, who is going to shell out 50 bucks for a t-shirt company (~100k people apparently). After a couple of CBS shows, a lot more people will be willing to do so. That said, I'd rather see Strikeforce stick with Showtime and CBS. I'm sure they can negotiate a more reasonable deal with the networks than what did Elite in.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 8:07pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's wild conjecture on my part based on just a few things I've heard talking to people, but right now I'd put money that the UFC scores their own network deal in 2010.

I get a very strange AFL-NFL feeling about what's going on right now between Strikeforce and the UFC.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    The aging Fedor that's ten months older than Brock, or a different one?
    Yeah, that one. You know, the one that has been fighting for the last 10 years as opposed to BLABMs 2.

ALthough, I'll admit I didn't realize their ages were that close. Damn, Fedor looks a lot older than Less-Narr to me! Must be the Vodka. lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Brett Rogers KO's Fedor (obviosly a big "if", but previously mentioned) that would be as awesome for Strikeforce as if Fedor went to the UFC and got crushed by Lesnar. Both of these organizations are planning for the future, and once Fedor loses as all fighters are bound to do, the key is to have the guy that beat him. Then you have a fighter who isn't a partner in another promotion (M-1 Global) and way easier to please. The UFC never wanted Fedor as a long term thing, they just want to see him lose and keep the guy who takes his head. Until that would happen Dana White would be civil, and when he did lose, DW would let out an epic "I told you so!"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123