Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:07pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Scott Coker: "I Live in a Magical Land of Sunshine and Rainbows, Yayyyyy!"

Ok, actual quote from a Sherdog article, where Coker discusses the impact of Fedor's signing with Strikeforce:

“Why would one fighter create a war? I don’t think this will escalate like the fans like to gossip (it will).”
    I'm confused here-how does a promoter build a company on solid financial structure, regional events and reasonable, steady growth, and end up sounding that naive?

I just don't see any way this doesn't turn into a way between Strikeforce and the UFC. Dana White will start trying to discredit them within the month, I guarantee you. I don't think it'll be out of anger, or revenge for the Fedor signing, or anything silly like that, it's simply because Strikeforce now represents a legitimate threat to business.

They already have a major TV deal with Showtime and the best women's division outside of Japan, and simply though signing Fedor, their heavyweight division is now a force to be reckoned with. Paired up against the UFC's still-weakest division (despite the improvements of the previous year), Strikeforce can mount a serious challenge both in terms of popularity and in terms of legitimacy in the division most important to the general public (heavyweight).

If the UFC does declare war, they're obviously a much bigger and more popular brand in MMA. Although you couldn't call them completely "mainstream" yet, they're virtually synonymous with the top levels of the sport for people who do know what mixed martial arts is. However, I think the UFC should be a little wary in going all-out to crush Strikeforce.

I've tried discussing this point on other sites, but it just seems like a screaming match, so I'll posit it here: I think Electronic Arts is the X-factor. Strikeforce's deal with EA for the video game is important in terms of reaching out to the mainstream, but it could be huge if EA decides to 1. Stick with Strikeforce beyond the first game, and 2. Get involved in protecting Strikeforce as a brand.

EA is a much, much bigger company than the UFC, both in terms of popularity and sheer size. They're also notorious for playing hardball with other video game developers, the UFC-affiliated THQ included. Simply put, Scott Coker's ignorance or not, I think Strikeforce has a massive ace up it's sleeve should Zuffa LLC. do the predictable thing and declare war.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two different business models

There's no war because Strikeforce will never come close to the UFC

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one knows truly what the terms of the financial deal is. As such, it is anyone's guess if this is a smart financial move for Strikeforce. The fact is, Fedor could be getting little in the way of a show/win purse and it could be all about the co-promotion for them. As you mentioned, they have the Showtime deal as well as the CBS deal which could see Fedor become bigger than the UFC's stars.

Strikeforce's model isn't predicated on PPV revenue like the UFC's is. The UFC merely uses their reality shows and countdown shows to fuel their PPV. Strikeforce could actually (longshot I know but remember, people thought Pride would overtake the UFC) become the number one brand based on the fact that they can put their shows on network TV for the mainstream audience. EliteXC already proved that you can do good numbers with a free show and a bunch of people who don't have the UFC backing them. Keep in mind that EliteXC's programing was the highest rated MMA TV broadcast at the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EliteXC:_Primetime

My point?

Look at it in terms of video games, ironically enough. The X-box was overtaken by the Wii as the number one system because of its ease of use, availability, price, and just plain fun games. That appeal to the mass market and the casual gamer is what allowed them to beat out the other video game consoles and if Dana White isn't careful, Strikeforce could become the Wii of the MMA world.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strikeforce is the premier regional MMA promotion in the country. With their Showtime deal and Gina and the Graciefighter boys, they have the capability of attracting a serious fanbase. As they put on shows outside of San Jose, they'll only get bigger.

Plus, they also represent a legitimate alternative for fighters who either cut by or unhappy with the UFC.

Strikeforce will never reach UFC proportions, but Dana definitely feels Scott Coker's hot breath on the back of his neck.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:43am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing an argument of UFC vs Strikeforce, you'd think that there's a lack of people to sit on their butts and watch TV. I don't think this is the case.

If UFC had to become the X-box (30 million console sales, 20 million live subscribers) of the mma world, I don't think dana white would be miffed. Of course that's taken quite literally - but if people enjoy watching mma fights on tv, don't you think they would watch both/already do?

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Wii has no future for enthusiasts, just like strikeforce.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 3:28am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcap8 View Post
    Seeing an argument of UFC vs Strikeforce, you'd think that there's a lack of people to sit on their butts and watch TV. I don't think this is the case.

If UFC had to become the X-box (30 million console sales, 20 million live subscribers) of the mma world, I don't think dana white would be miffed. Of course that's taken quite literally - but if people enjoy watching mma fights on tv, don't you think they would watch both/already do?
    Yes, I think there's plenty of business to go around. I think Coker feels that way too.

It's going to become clear that the UFC no longer feels that way, because Fedor's signing with Strikeforce makes that promotion's heavyweight division a legitimate threat in terms of which promotion has the better HWs. Simply put, Fedor's a game-changer, he immediately makes Strikeforce's heavyweight division at least competitive with the UFC's in terms of legitimacy.

This is why I think there will indeed be a declaration of war coming very soon. It's not enough for Strikeforce to threaten in terms of popularity (and they're not close yet, and won't be for a long time...Fedor's just not a draw), it's when a US-based promotion can lay claim to better fighters in the most visible division in the sport that the UFC us threatened in terms of their long-term market share.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 5:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as Strikeforce didn't break out of their (seemingly) financially sound business model they've been using in order to get this deal with Fedor, I think this will be a good move for them. As has been stated, it gives their HW div automatic legitmacy. And though Fedor lags behind UFC heavies in drawing power, he still will probably be the biggest draw Strikeforce has, next to (maybe) Carano.

The biggest danger to Strikeforce at this point is not DW, imo. It's The Grim! If he ends up living up to the hype and actually KO's Fedor... lol I mean, I don't think that's actually going to happen. But that is really the only way I see this being bad for Strikeforce.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 8:30am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Rogers does manage to KO Fedor you can bet the UFC will come knocking with a whole HEAP of money for him. Somehow I don't see him turning down a better monetary offer and a probable guaranteed title shot to stay in strikeforce.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 9:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    If Rogers does manage to KO Fedor you can bet the UFC will come knocking with a whole HEAP of money for him. Somehow I don't see him turning down a better monetary offer and a probable guaranteed title shot to stay in strikeforce.
    It depends on Rogers contract I would expect there to be an immediate rematch
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast