Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    I imagine there's going to be a surge of heavyweights after this TUF airs (Ben Rothwell's fighting earlier!).
    Look out for Darrill Schoonover I'm excited to see this TUF. I stopped watching after the 155's with Nate Diaz.

On Fedor... my business school teachings tell me good thing, my fight fan side says Bullshit Fedor WTF??!?! I need you in the UFC...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:38pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A surge of heavyweights...but are they champion material? Real mma fighters? Box, Kickbox, wrestle and submission type of fighters? Only the show will answer that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:49pm

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Terrible news... WTF is up with Fedor? I thought the UFC had offered him everything he wanted, and boatload of cash to boot.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:35pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    I am still unsure who all this impressive talent that the UFC has that Fedor is missing out on. Outside of Lesnar, the UFC roster strikes me as equally impressive as what Strikeforce can offer in three fights.
    You are in the corre3ct there. I was really talking mainly from a business point of view in most of my post. But, you are correct. UFC hvwt div is pretty slim as well.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:37pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:54pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still <3 you Fedor

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 11:49pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    I am still unsure who all this impressive talent that the UFC has that Fedor is missing out on. Outside of Lesnar, the UFC roster strikes me as equally impressive as what Strikeforce can offer in three fights.
    I am with you in mindset, but in terms of big fights non-hardcore fans want to see I think the UFC takes precident. Personally I'd love to see Fedor against Rogers, Overeem or Werdum. There is also chance for a rematch with Arlovski, but I'd personally like to see any of the above three first.

The UFC can offer up Lesnar, Couture, Mir, Carwin, Nog, Gonzaga and some others. Not every person there is really entitled to a shot against Fedor, but at least on paper they make for interesting match ups.

This is not to say Strikeforce can't put on a show. I think they have a number of good fights in the works. However, at current I think the UFC still offers the best line up of competitors. Perhaps if the rumors of a strikeforce/dream merger come to fruition things will become even more interesting.

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about Gonzaga or Carwin?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    What about Gonzaga or Carwin?
    What about them? Carwin has one high profile win and really hasn't fought long enough to show much besides KO power. Gonzaga I actually really like but I'd consider a lot of people to be a more legitimate threat.

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    I imagine there's going to be a surge of heavyweights after this TUF airs (Ben Rothwell's fighting earlier!).
    yup, everyone loves how the "Serge is working [tm]"

Also, I think its important to note that Russians-as a whole-could give a **** about American athletes. For the Fedor/Sylvia fight, an older Sambo champion with lots of influence and connections told of how he was chartering a jet with 10 of his Sambo-70 buddies to go to "Los Anehiem" to watch Fedor's victory over Tom Selvin in the Pride event.

Not exactly like that^ but in the same vein...the details mattered for shite, it was the best *Russian* fighter on the planet vs some dude in whatever event. I frequently find that Russians have a Superiority complex.

When it comes to wrestling, they've earned it. Folkstyle wrestling isn't even practiced in Russia AFAIK, its a pussified version of Freestyle catered to spoiled American youth...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast