Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes I think some people haven't actually realized that everything that comes through their television is a) not real and b) trying to sell them something. I'm pretty sure I figured that one out in grade school.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a business perspective, I wonder how much fedor agreed with M1, or if they are using him because they can. Or if he is on board with M1 for business reasons.

My thought is that Fedor really does not care about fighting any longer. Fine, no problem there. I think he is now thinging more long term (assuming he agreed with M1) and wants to see M1 expand as his career won't last forever. I really can't fault him for that...though as a fan, I want to see him in the UFC proving he is the best. I just suspect, he does not care about that any longer...feels he has nothing to prove and is more interested in seeing the growth of M1 and his long term future.

There are benefits from a M1/Strikeforce deal...from a business perspective. Strikeforce is a good show that has grown slowly and carefully - transitioning successfully from kickboxing to MMA. They have staying power and have not rushed like other flash in the pan orgs. Strikeforce will give good, non-PPV publicity to M1/Fedor of Showtime (albeit with little challenge to offer Fedor). If I were M1, I would be very pleased to get lined up with Strikeforce and Showtime. It is good for business.

As a fan, I want Fedor in the UFC :(

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Terrible news.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 3:10pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post

Machida:

YouTube - Lyoto Machida - Countdown to UFC 98, Karate

Didn't check if that's actually the interview where he tells about regarding himself as a samurai.

As to Brock...

That's not Brock, but somebody pretty similar to him:

YouTube - Bob Sapp Sucks

And, finally: :5umbrellaRelax a bit, people!

It's a matter of appeal and taste, not a matter of objectivity.
    It doesn't contain the quote you're talking about, and it was only two minutes long......you obviously aren't trying hard.

If your only evidence that machida is a "douche" is that he used a common metaphor for fighting in one of the cultures he's from, that's some pretty weak sauce.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 3:32pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the terrible news in this thread was properly offset by an epic win/fail of speed skating.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    If your only evidence that machida is a "douche" is that he used a common metaphor for fighting in one of the cultures he's from, that's some pretty weak sauce.

Hmmm... Didn't think about it in that way. Maybe you're right and I've misjudged his character. - Not going to dispute his fighting skills, of course. Machida's still the best the UFC has under contract, apart from Maia.

Rather than Fedor vs Brock, Fedor vs Machida would have the potential to be the match of the decade.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 4:12pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    The UFC is the best best promotion purely for the fact it has the best fighters.

Exactly.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    albeit with little challenge to offer Fedor
    I am still unsure who all this impressive talent that the UFC has that Fedor is missing out on. Outside of Lesnar, the UFC roster strikes me as equally impressive as what Strikeforce can offer in three fights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 8:56pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    I am still unsure who all this impressive talent that the UFC has that Fedor is missing out on. Outside of Lesnar, the UFC roster strikes me as equally impressive as what Strikeforce can offer in three fights.
    You Sir have "the right"! What the UFC has in trucks loads is a incredibly efficient hype machine that has turned most fans brains into pudin. Of course a Brock fight would be awsome, just to show the average UFC fan what a top of the food chain HeavyWeight can do...but if you take that out of the equation you have Carwin, Velasquez and then who? CroCop, done that! Mir? Don't think so! Kongo? You gotta be kiddin. Nog? It took me two years in terapy to erase the memory of that beatdown he took in Pride. Well, he have the TUF10 squad, right? NO!! At least not now...

On StrikeForce we have Overeem (how the heck he'll pass the urine test I don't know), Werdum, interesting, but once beaten a bjj black belt the novelty effect wears off. And you have Brett Rogers...who is the wild card...heck, I'm visualizing a Petrucelli moment where we see Fedor knocked out by him, just for **** and giggles. See? Pretty much the same scenario. Oh wait a minute...we would probably see a Fedor versus Brock Lesnar III down the line or something.:new_evil:

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine there's going to be a surge of heavyweights after this TUF airs (Ben Rothwell's fighting earlier!).
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast