Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    Interestingly, while I usually force half-guard to my left, when I do full baseball slide passes to side it's almost always to my right. I usually headstand-pass butterfly guard to my right, too.
    Are you left hand dominant? I think it might be one of those reverse handedness deals. Of course that's completely pulled out of my ass.

The first time I thought about it was watching Viera school Bravo. Eddie could only sweep or work any of his half guard game to Eddie's right, Viera's left.

Viera passed at will to his right, including your handstand pass if I recall correctly.

While it was a long time ago that I started to think about this, I've never done a damn thing about it. There's even a post in my log that's basically just "To the right, to the right, to the right, to the right" Of course it is often pretty easy to make your opponents think they want to pass in one particular direction.

I can kill people with the baseball slide to my left but can't do it much at all to my right. :nobodycar

Kintanon, the sooner the better.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 9:20pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Are you left hand dominant? I think it might be one of those reverse handedness deals. Of course that's completely pulled out of my ass.
    I am left handed and can pass equally well in either direction. However since the vast majority of people still pass my guard on my right, I suffer from some of the same lopsidedness as everybody else when I defend to the left.

Lazy bastards need to pass to the left more often so that I might correct this imbalance.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 4:38am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Nope, right-handed. I think that's actually why I headstand-pass to the right, because one of the things I focus on with that pass is driving his thigh inward with my bicep (or grabbing his ankle and holding it down) so he can't "follow" me with his hook, and I find it easier to do that with my dominant hand.

It makes sense to me that I baseball-slide to the opposite side that I force half-guard to, because for a long time the main way I forced half-guard was to threaten the baseball-slide to one side and then drive the knee to the ground on the opposite side. Why my right happens to be the way I baseball-slide pass I have no idea, though.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 6:37am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm. Now that I think about it whenever I do a double under pass I always go to the right ( I am right handed ). When I have one under and put my knee over the other leg to pass I always go left.

Tonight I will try do the opposite sides.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I am left handed and can pass equally well in either direction. However since the vast majority of people still pass my guard on my right, I suffer from some of the same lopsidedness as everybody else when I defend to the left.

Lazy bastards need to pass to the left more often so that I might correct this imbalance.
    One fo the things I'm trying to work on a lot lately is working most things on both sides.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345