Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 12:59pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin View Post
    What you were describing...is it something like this?

YouTube - Alliance Jiu Jiutsu Open guard pass
    I learned this as the "Navy ride" pass. It's one of my go-to passes. It works fantastically against an attempted scissors sweep as well as against a standard open guard.

If someone is desperately trying to cut off my pass to their front, I'll sometimes get some shoulder drive down on the thigh of their upper leg to get clear of it, change directions, and just slide around to their backside. Since the pass tends to set them up on their hip, when you go backside, you'll either end up in side control, or they roll to turtle where you need to secure them quickly before they roll under to re-gain guard.

Backside navy ride pass definitely gives them a better chance to regain guard, but if they're making it difficult to get around front, it is an option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:46pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I'm a heavy guy I normally like to do these two...they're basic, but since most guys on my size/weight aren't that flexible I pretty much get away with it. I like to fold them like beach chairs.

YouTube - Basic Guard Pass - Part 1

YouTube - Basic Guard Pass - Part 2

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 10:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing post moved here: Almost - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think there might be some potential there for me with that chim chim pass thing.

i tried it last night on another purple belt. first he almost triangled me, but i escaped and reset back to his guard. tried it again, and after much struggle ended up passing. a few moments later there was a scramble (not sure exactly what happened) i ended up with him in my guard. then the bastard used the SAME pass, imitating me and got it first go. i hadn't even told him about it, he just figured it out.

i think i need to keep it more tight and heavy to break the guard and control them the whole way.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i think there might be some potential there for me with that chim chim pass thing.

i tried it last night on another purple belt. first he almost triangled me, but i escaped and reset back to his guard. tried it again, and after much struggle ended up passing. a few moments later there was a scramble (not sure exactly what happened) i ended up with him in my guard. then the bastard used the SAME pass, imitating me and got it first go. i hadn't even told him about it, he just figured it out.

i think i need to keep it more tight and heavy to break the guard and control them the whole way.

that pass is solid wen done right, but I think it's better for more compact practitioners. I'm lanky and i still use it if nothing else is working for me and I've found the trick is to make sure the guys hips are turned over before you fully sitout so you can properly get your weight on his leg. Chim actually says this in his instructional, but I missed it the first time I watched it. Made a big difference for me when I started doing it though.

As for stopping it the Body Triangle is GOLD if you can get it on your opponent, then obviously my fallback is the omoplata on the underhooking arm.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 12:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    that pass is solid wen done right, but I think it's better for more compact practitioners.
    i'd agree that it would probably suit stocky people a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    As for stopping it the Body Triangle is GOLD if you can get it on your opponent, then obviously my fallback is the omoplata on the underhooking arm.
    i had trouble with a guy in my last BJJ match who would pass my open guard with a very similar move. basically, grab a knee and underhook the opposite arm. it was frustrating because people usually have a hard time passing me.

i think in that situation it might be best not to let them get the underhook in the first place.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd agree that it would probably suit stocky people a little more.

i had trouble with a guy in my last BJJ match who would pass my open guard with a very similar move. basically, grab a knee and underhook the opposite arm. it was frustrating because people usually have a hard time passing me.

i think in that situation it might be best not to let them get the underhook in the first place.
    Yeah, fighting off the underhook definitely works too. I once had a match with a 350+ pounder that used this pass. against him I wasn't physically capable of getting the omoplata, and obviously the body triangle wasn't even a thought. i just kept fighting his underhook, until he gave up on it and put himself in a triangle.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 9:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    with an open guard this is all i can think of doing - don't let them set it up in the first place. i've been thinking hard to stop this happening in the future because i'm sure i'll face him again.

the other option for me is to only use closed guard, as he couldn't pass that. but i've been developing an open guard sweeping game for a while now and i'd really like to use it to get on top.

once they have that underhook and are moving past the knee, you can't do much except try to get half guard.

so, at the moment my focus is:

1. to become unpassable!

2. improve my half guard sweeps

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 10:56pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. to become unpassable!

2. improve my half guard sweeps
    Have you considered option B? Becoming dominant at takedowns that result in you landing in side control?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 11:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Have you considered option B? Becoming dominant at takedowns that result in you landing in side control?
    definitely.

i've been considering taking a couple of months off BJJ to do judo and get a little more experience there. part of the problem is i have little confidence with standup so don't try much in competition.

i'm a bit better at no gi takedowns though.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast