Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    I've been screwing around with the no-posture pass and need a hell of a lot more practice, but I think it has a ton of potential for me. I've been struggling against lighter guys who play really quickly from the bottom. The no-posture pass let's me use my weight to slow them down and be a lot more methodical rather than the quick act-and-react game that can sometime happen when I posture up but can't get good grips. I've been hitting the pass on less experienced folks, but it's still a work in progress against senior guys.
    What have been the sticking points for you?

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 5:01pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not weighting them down well enough seems to be my biggest issue. Particularly their upper body. If a guy is really long and can sit up on you, it gets a little sticky. I found that if I slid down low to kill the guys hips as Garcia demonstrates, some guys could still sit up enough on me that I felt tippy if I reached back to pop their guard.

Really bearing down on them with your shoulder/chest a bit higher up, which Tozi points out a little more specifically seemed to give me much better results. It keeps them more stable, and less likely to sit up on you. It generally made me feel more stable when I consciously kept applying this pressure to their top end.

The point at which you reach back to pop the legs definitely feels most precarious to me in my limited experience with the pass. I feel very much on edge. If guys could sit up on me right here, it fucked up the pass. If guys released their guard and put their top side foot down on the mat to drive and heist right at that point, it fucked up the pass.

I only started playing with this pass in my last few classes, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I definitely wouldn't say that I have it down yet, and these are just my initial observations having played around with it for a few nights.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 5:23pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm having pretty much the same problem with the ChimChim/etc pass. All my weight is in my legs so it's hard to keep them from creating space.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 5:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank's, that's what I figured watching the instructional too.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    To try and help others, I'll try and describe what is one of my money passes. I suck at textually describing things though.

Starting out in someone's guard I'll get a strong grip on their pants similar to as is shown here:

Except higher up, closer to their waist band. I then pin my elbow to the ground which kills their hips and keeps one of their legs pinned which keeps me out of danger from triangles. I'd also be in closer on them otherwise they may be able to pull out releasing the pin and creating the opportunity for an inverted triangle or other assorted silliness. With that grip I have a variety of options that are all highly effective for me. One that works quite well comes when they bring the free leg up higher, sometimes to where they're trying to triangle me. Even if the leg is only half way up to there what is very effective is to baseball slide under, keeping really low. As I come around I'll keep the grip and if possible also trap the leg I slid under between my shoulder and my head. From there I switch my hips and under hook their head with my free arm. I often also keep the grip (which now is basically me holding the front of their pants with my arm between their legs) and use that to turn their hips and square their shoulders to the mat and turn their hips away from me which makes taking mount or knee on belly easy.

Sorry I suck at describing things but I'm happy to clarify.
    I don't see how this is "no posture". It's just a different kind of posture.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 7:18pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hedge, I think that photo is of a pass or variation that he currently uses a lot. He's considering trying another style pass, which would be the no-posture variation that he gives the links to.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 8:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    I don't see how this is "no posture". It's just a different kind of posture.
    That picture has nothing to do with the "no posture" pass. It was the closest to showing how and where I grip when thinking about making this a more generally useful thread.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 8:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, do yo ever X-pass? Sounds strange but when I was using all the double under style passes this is what I would combine it with and switch back and forth between. I will have to sit and think about the details since all I do now is kneeride to leg attack or kneeride to side.

I will post some of my details up tomorrow, but let me know if you use this and what happens when/if you do.

(EDIT: So I just went and looked up X-pass and what I learned to call the X-pass is not what everyone else calls it. The X-pass that I know you grab the inside of the pant leg around the knee area thumb down, back out and frame all of your weight onto their legs pinning them to the ground
    then just pick a side to walk around and use your near side shoulder to jam into their solar plexus
    then finish into side)

(2nd Edit: If we can get JNP in here he knows the same technique I am talking about and he might point out different ideas...I just got home from class and my brain is a bit moooshey)
    Last edited by Zapruder; 8/03/2009 8:44pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 8:54pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin View Post
    Sort of an eerie experience — the above video was shot at Alliance NYC, where I train, and the black belt being demonstrated upon taught the class from which I just returned.

Anyway, this in one of my go-to passes, even against guys who know my game. Three things Cavalcante doesn't say explicitly about making it work (but which are probably obvious to the experienced guys on this thread):

1. Shoulder pressure on the top leg is the key to avoiding any offense on the part of the person whose guard is being passed. Letting it up will allow him to shrimp out, spin for subs, &c.

2. The grip on the sleeve/lapel is required to prevent the bottom man from scooting away from the pass in a circle. He usually won't escape that way, but he'll make the top man work much harder, maybe tiring him out.

3. If it starts to go badly part way through, the top man can plant his head on the floor and hop over to side control from the back.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you ever try the bullfighter passes? What sort of guards do people play at your club - open, sitting, closed?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast