Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro post - also, any thoughts on Street Sports BJJ?

Hey all. Longtime lurker, first poster. I'm in looking into joining up one of the BJJ gyms in my area (Los Angeles - west side). Looking mainly at Machado's (a bit too far away), Rickson Gracie's and Street Sports. Also thinking of PKG mma gym. Leaning most towards Street Sports because it's closest to where I am and seems a little smaller, more tight-knit than Rickson's - at least from just peeking in on a few classes.

Any thoughts on Street Sports? I'm looking for a place that's a serious work spot, but as low on the ego as possible. I'm not a young kid (mid 30s) and will no doubt get humbled early and often (and I'm totally fine with that), but I want a place that'll work with the new guys like myself to help me get better.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link here (sorry): http://www.streetsportsbjj.com/

Thanks, guys.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://streetsportsbjj.com/

This place? This looks like a really good place. Also, if it is closer and easier to get to, you will be more likely to go more often. I would go there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the place. I've got a good vibe from it the few times I've poked my head in to watch. Pretty sure this is where I'll try to go (I've gotta wait until a minor ortho surgery is done).

Any advice (etiquette or otherwise) for a middle aged white belt going in green? I wrestled in high school, but that was 15 years ago. As mentioned above, I'm sure I'll get schooled quickly when rolling, but am eager to work to progress.

Thanks again everyone.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hilariously coincidental. We were just talking about this instructor this afternoon. Heard he was real good.

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by indiesquire View Post
    Any advice (etiquette or otherwise) for a middle aged white belt going in green? I wrestled in high school, but that was 15 years ago.
    You might find this BJJ Beginner FAQ useful, as a new student in BJJ.

As I mention in that FAQ, for further reading on BJJ, I'd recommend the following threads:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping

Maximizing what you get out of rolling

Protecting Yourself During Sparring

BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners
    Grappling Basic Principles

Advice for Noobs

First Day Lesson

Fundamental 5

Obvious Epiphanies

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
    Nuggets of Advice
    Beginning BJJ (free e-course and e-book)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks - these links/posts help a lot. Can't wait to get started.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Academy of Mixed Martial Science?

Hey guys. Resurrecting my intro post for some more advice. I'm healing from a minor surgery and gearing up to settle on a gym and start training. I've been pretty much sold on Street Sports BJJ but recently came across this gym's site - Academy of Mixed Martial Science (formerly West Side Martial Arts Club) - and wanted to see if anyone here has any knowledge/experience with it.

The site (and name) look a little odd to me - and the fact that they train at the LA Wing Chun Academy gives me some pause. But they don't train Chun, and they seem to put out some actual fighters on their team who compete. I'm just always a little gunshy of places that claim to teach a host of different styles proficiently (and MMA spots seem to be popping up a lot - not that this place is exactly new).

I don't really have any specific desire to compete, but am really just looking for a no bullshit gym that will train hard and alive (but hopefully with egos checked enough to teach my old mid-thirties ass). Should I stick with the trusted BJJ gym, or should I check out the MMA spot (to add some stand-up)?

Thanks again.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about Academy of Mixed Martial Science, but I know a fair bit about Street Sports.

Renato Magno(head Instructor at Street Sports) is a fantastic instructor, who has produced a ton of excellent competitors and instructors(Kenny and Tim Bond, Fransisco Arias, Danny Rodriguez among others). I don't train there, but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last