Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 8:28pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Visiting Brandon FL

After roughly a year of full time school sometimes more than full time (nightschool) I finally get a vacation. I'm gonna visit my folks in the Brandon and Dade city area. I'll probably be busy running all over town. My fiancee's first time visiting Tampa so I gotta show her around. But, It'd be nice to workout at least once. Anyone here in Brandon or Dade city? (yeah right,no one w/ a computer or that fancy intranet lives in Dade city but i'll ask anyways).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 12:14am

Style: Brawling, Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in the Brandon Area. It's been a few years since my last tournament, so my experience may not match up too well with current reality. The Univ. of South Florida has a great facility and I had a lot of fun with the Karate, Aikido and Judo clubs there. Go to the main gym and ask about the Martial Arts clubs. I heard the Karate club has declined a bit since Sensei McDavitt left a few years ago (he left a year after I graduated) but it should still be good for some sparring. There's also a few McDojos sprinkled along Bloomingdale Ave. that'll be glad to take your 25 bucks for an evening of training. If work wasn't kicking my ass so hard, I'd be down to hang and train some myself, but bills gotta get paid. Look around those areas and if I'm not too many years removed from the scene, those would probably be the best places to look.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 12:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I bet USF would be cool to check out, but it's a little out of the way for me.
    From what I remember there were several MA places in Brandon, I do remember a lot of them being mcdojos though. I'm not even necessarily bent on sparring someone.

I'm down just to work out a little, or run or whatever. Just trying to keep up my routine. I've been so busy the passed uear I haven't been able to train nearly as much as I'd like so anything is good for me.
    I don't know if i'd go dojo hopping, I don't have the time really. I'"m better off just working out with my brother.

You don't happen to know of any Filipino Stickfighting Guys in the area do you? I'll probably look around myself but just askin'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 8:17pm

Style: Brawling, Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the stickfighting guys in the area are a little exasperating. Many claim Jeet Kune Do, MMA and various weapons in their training. A little of this, a little of that, standard McDojo. That's my home for ya. Lots of McDojos, but there are a (very) few hardcore schools and training groups sprinkled throughout. For a short visit, you're kinda SOL, sorry. I'd say, if you just want a workout, do some drills and roll with your brother. Tampa's a mecca for pro wrestling, but the real fighting has a ways to go to catch up!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 9:22pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    After roughly a year of full time school sometimes more than full time (nightschool) I finally get a vacation. I'm gonna visit my folks in the Brandon and Dade city area. I'll probably be busy running all over town. My fiancee's first time visiting Tampa so I gotta show her around. But, It'd be nice to workout at least once. Anyone here in Brandon or Dade city? (yeah right,no one w/ a computer or that fancy intranet lives in Dade city but i'll ask anyways).
    IM in south tampa and traina t gracie tampa. we have a buncha schools from new port richie to oldsmar to north school on fletcher and nebraska and my one at howard in south. Ur probably more than welcome to come in and roll a bit take a class w/e. Also a large amoutn of boxing gyms all around adn my team griffonwrawl and world calss muay thai are both in tampa. Brooksville is another location griffonwrawl works from so dunno how far out you're going around.

as far as stickfightin adn filipino stuff I think I've seen a few on waters. there used to be a silat school on dale mabry and i think theres some weapons stuff on base.

Also if you'd like to meet a new person to train with I woulnd't mind working some with ya.

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 6:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    IM in south tampa and traina t gracie tampa. we have a buncha schools from new port richie to oldsmar to north school on fletcher and nebraska and my one at howard in south. Ur probably more than welcome to come in and roll a bit take a class w/e. Also a large amoutn of boxing gyms all around adn my team griffonwrawl and world calss muay thai are both in tampa. Brooksville is another location griffonwrawl works from so dunno how far out you're going around.

as far as stickfightin adn filipino stuff I think I've seen a few on waters. there used to be a silat school on dale mabry and i think theres some weapons stuff on base.

Also if you'd like to meet a new person to train with I woulnd't mind working some with ya.
    I may check you out. I just don't know how much free time i'll have. Howard is a little out of the way. I guess i'll see what happens. Mainly I was hoping to slip out of visiting from my family's house in Brandon for an hour or two.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 10:06pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I may check you out. I just don't know how much free time i'll have. Howard is a little out of the way. I guess i'll see what happens. Mainly I was hoping to slip out of visiting from my family's house in Brandon for an hour or two.
    cool just let me know via pm when/if you wanna come out.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strange question, and a little off topic but, does Brandon High still have a good wrestling program? I went to high school at Bloomingdale and they were undefeated for like 20 sumthin years when I graduated.

/random
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are still in the area, come train with us at the Kyokushin Karate Dojo located in the Bloomingdale Square Shopping Center. www.kyokushinkaratefl.com. Bring humility and respect, and the training is free.