222071 Bullies, 4053 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 108
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    8/04/2009 11:32pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will admit, I like Ari. I like the video instructionals he does over at sub101 and I think a lot of the material is of good quality. I occasionally watch videos over there for reference or just if I'm looking for something gimmicky to bust out. That being said, Ari's background has always been a bit murky to say the least. He has at least some legit skills, his instruction is well laid out and easy to understand.
    That being said, as far as I know he has absolutely zilch in competition record. I have more verifiable grappling victories than he does. So yes, I think there should be an investigation at least to establish his actual credentials as reference for people using his site for information. It would be nice to establish that he has some kind of competition record as well, I've never been able to find any video of him competing though...
  2. Cybren is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    144

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 12:08am


     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really know much about the whole Ari thing, but I have been to those forums.


    Ari's own statements to his detractors:
    Press Release: Ari Bolden - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gear Forums

    Another by Keith Owen, who is teaching him gi-jiujitsu:
    Press Release: Ari Bolden - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gear Forums
  3. gonzomalan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:34am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    That's like saying only the penthouse suite is what matters. Unfortunately, if the building beneath is made of **** material then either the entire structure collapses or you have to spend even more time and money reinforcing your weak structure.
    i like this analogy, but since it sounds like Eddie's only real concern is the BB promotion, there might be a bottleneck of browns somewhere along the way, until the players who need to train on flexibility get it, and the players who need to polish sweeps take care of that, and the players who can't compete start winning, and so on.
  4. Stick & Submit is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    72

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:21am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD - FMA - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we should really keep on it with this thread before the BS really starts creeping into 10th Planet.

    It would suck if Eddie started slacking and allowing his system to get watered down ... the process may have already begun, but I don't want to say anymore since I don't currently train at a 10th Planet school.

    But since I got an incredibly positive vibe from talking to Alder, I do want to train my BJJ at Burbank when I move there, and I'd like to see the quality of 10th Planet stay high.

    Perhaps this thread could be forwarded to Eddie by the appropriate person...
    Last edited by Stick & Submit; 8/05/2009 3:00am at .
  5. Stick & Submit is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    72

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:26am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD - FMA - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thPlanetVegan View Post
    10th planet Riverside.....well, I'm training there...
    Oh that's cool... I lived in Moreno Valley (or "Mo Val" as it's called by the locals these days) when I was a kid.

    I have some old friends in Mo Val I'll be visiting from time to time when I move to LA, so maybe I can come peek my head in at 10th Planet in Riverside!

    BTW, are you also a vegan as your member name suggests?
  6. 10thPlanetVegan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Souther California
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 3:37pm


     Style: 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick & Submit View Post
    Oh that's cool... I lived in Moreno Valley (or "Mo Val" as it's called by the locals these days) when I was a kid.

    I have some old friends in Mo Val I'll be visiting from time to time when I move to LA, so maybe I can come peek my head in at 10th Planet in Riverside!

    BTW, are you also a vegan as your member name suggests?

    Ya, I'm vegan. Mostly raw and organic. Once you walk past the produce section, you're in a non-food section of the market :)
  7. 10thPlanetVegan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Souther California
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 3:40pm


     Style: 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    I don't really know much about the whole Ari thing, but I have been to those forums.


    Ari's own statements to his detractors:
    Press Release: Ari Bolden - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gear Forums

    Another by Keith Owen, who is teaching him gi-jiujitsu:
    Press Release: Ari Bolden - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gear Forums

    A search attempt for his jjj instructor's name brought no results for a school or anything......anyone else wanna try to find something? I'm not the guy to lead an investigation.
  8. 1point2 is offline
    1point2's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,103

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 4:13pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ari's press release raised more questions than it answered. He needs a full-fledged, by the book investigation, sans bullshittery.

    (sarcasm) I mean, he does a compliant style that has judo newaza. I think we all know that this is grounds for a witch hunt. (/sarcasm)

    His lack of a competition record is worrisome as part of a BJJ trend. A Renzo JJ purple friend of mine mentioned that his coach "has never competed, and never will...he doesn't want to bring his JJ down to that level." Uhhhhh what?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
  9. 10thPlanetVegan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Souther California
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 4:18pm


     Style: 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I will admit, I like Ari. I like the video instructionals he does over at sub101 and I think a lot of the material is of good quality. I occasionally watch videos over there for reference or just if I'm looking for something gimmicky to bust out. That being said, Ari's background has always been a bit murky to say the least. He has at least some legit skills, his instruction is well laid out and easy to understand.
    That being said, as far as I know he has absolutely zilch in competition record. I have more verifiable grappling victories than he does. So yes, I think there should be an investigation at least to establish his actual credentials as reference for people using his site for information. It would be nice to establish that he has some kind of competition record as well, I've never been able to find any video of him competing though...
    Eddie pretty much told everyone that Ari has absolutely no competition record. He said he simply doesn't have a strong desire to compete or something along those lines.


    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=...1&page=1&pc=13

    I honestly don't mind if a teacher doesn't have a sick competition record. Not everyone that studies bjj is going to be a monster. But I do mind that a teacher's credentials are (in my opinion) as questionable as Ari's, and that (in my opinion) he certainly did not roll at a purple belt level at 10th planet Hollywood. You can find some video evidence of him getting crushed on youtube btw (last I checked the videos were still up) I'm definitely not trying to sound like an expert. It's just that when a blue belt is getting destroyed by other blue belts, I would think that means he's not ready for his purple. It's not like he was rolling with the most amazing fuckin blue belts of all time....they're very good, but he should at least have been able to hang with them a little better to earn a purple.

    Eddie said he trusted people coming in claiming they already had belts. I understand that and am fine with it, AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT PLANNING TO TEACH. Having a blue belt that doesn't mean **** doesn't matter if you are just studying the system because eventually you will get to that blue belt level if you persist. But if you use bullshit credentials to start teaching, that certainly does matter. If you are setting up affiliates and giving people permission to fly the 10th planet banner, not thouroughly checking their credentials is just plain stupid. I blaim Eddie, not his affiliates. But Ari's jjj history definitely should be looked into because it's the reason he started teaching in the first place and supposedly why he was able to get a purple so quickly.

    If Eddie keeps this up, we'll soon be having full-blown arguments over lineage of a system that isn't even 10 years old.
  10. 10thPlanetVegan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Souther California
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 4:38pm


     Style: 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just noticed that in Ari's post, he admitted that he teaches a different style of jjj than the one he earned a black belt in......

    btw, the only person named Kentai Takahashi that I could find anything about, is the creator of the video game "Katamari Damacy". Maybe Ari should do a sub101 video where he shows us how to roll our opponent into a ball and launch him into space.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.