228149 Bullies, 4401 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    Oh, and an FYI. There was a vid with eddie relatviely recently where he says the only belt that matters is black.
    Unfortunately, the road to black is paved with your white, blue, purple, and brown belts.

That's like saying only the penthouse suite is what matters. Unfortunately, if the building beneath is made of **** material then either the entire structure collapses or you have to spend even more time and money reinforcing your weak structure.
    Last edited by datdamnmachine; 8/03/2009 6:37pm at . Reason: because time + money equals "time and money"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 9:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD - FMA - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    Unfortunately, the road to black is paved with your white, blue, purple, and brown belts.

That's like saying only the penthouse suite is what matters. Unfortunately, if the building beneath is made of **** material then either the entire structure collapses or you have to spend even more time and money reinforcing your weak structure.
    BTW, I'm not quite sure that Eddie was implying that the other belts were meaningless. He seemed to be saying in the video that there are different reasons why one might get promoted, but if you want to earn a black belt under him (doesn't he only have one that he's awarded it to?) it's just an entirely different level.

Of course that still doesn't excuse the video evaluation thing...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 12:28pm

Style: 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After seeing all the information and reading and listening to Eddie's statements again, I'm starting to calm down a bit, but this still has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Because of this crap, we're already going to have to question the lineage of Eddie's affiliates....and he hasn't even given out a fucking black belt yet. Jesus.....
    Anyway, here's my opinion on the 10th planet schools that I know of.

10th planet burbank is legit from what I have heard about Alder, and Eddie's going to be teaching the advanced classes there for a little while longer before he finds a new place in Hollywood. Can't go wrong with that.

10th planet Riverside.....well, I'm training there so I can't give an unbiased opinion, but Bollinger has been training under Eddie for years and got his purple and brown directly from Eddie.

10th planet San Fran is legit. Denny definitely earned his brown belt training under Eddie for a considerable amount of time.

10th planet Rochester seems legit. Don't know too much about it, but Herzog got his brown from Eddie.

But it seems to me that all of the other affiliates are going to come into question. Eddie said he may award blue or purple belts based on reasons other than ability, yet he allows purple belts (and in some cases even BLUE BELTS!?) to teach at affiliate schools.....that's bullshit. I understand blue belts possibly teaching beginner classes strictly for white belts, and having a brown belt for advanced classes (which is what's happening at Riverside, and it's working decently even though Jeremy's stoned and/or pissed off at Hangar 18 half the time) but to have a blue belt teach a 10th planet class at an mma gym BY HIMSELF is just stupid. (that's happening at a few locations at the moment) At this point, because of Ari and B. Quick and the online training thing, the only people that should be able to open affiliates are brown belts who got them FROM EDDIE. Everything else is highly questionable at this point, especially the guys who got blues and purples "training" under Quick and Ari.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry this may be a de-rail, but is Ari the Submissions101 guy? I know he's an affiliate, but isn't he JJJ? Does he hand out BJJ rank?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man that whole situation is a mess.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    Man that whole situation is a mess.
    And it’s only gonna get worse. In a year or so a few people who get their belts from this crap are going to be opening up their own schools. Man bullshido is running through bjj faster than a California wildfire.

However there’s always that microscopic chance that one of those purple belts could go into a tournament and pwn ass. Lol I couldn’t even type that with a straight face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Sorry this may be a de-rail, but is Ari the Submissions101 guy? I know he's an affiliate, but isn't he JJJ? Does he hand out BJJ rank?
    He is an affiliate; he "earned" his purple from Eddie by flying down to 10th planet Hollywood and getting crushed by everyone he rolled with, and started teaching the system at the dojo he had already been teaching jjj at for some time. A couple of guys were promoted by Eddie when he flew up there, but the reason I object to that is Eddie only promoted them because Ari suggested it. He has never provided legitimate lineage for the two second degree black belts in different jjj styles he claims (at least the last I heard, he has not) and he also claims a black belt in Aikido (which I really don't give a crap about either way) and from what I understand, he got one of the jjj black belts simply by joining some Canadian jiu jitsu organization ......basically everyone besides Eddie thinks he's a little bitch who just wants to make money off of the system.

Someone correct me if you know more about Ari than I, because I admit that there are grey areas in his story that I'm not too familiar with.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 3:08pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had friendly exchanges with Ari over on their forum, so it's nothing personal, but someone should open a thread about that situation as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I've had friendly exchanges with Ari over on their forum, so it's nothing personal, but someone should open a thread about that situation as well.
    Agreed. There have been threads about it on a couple other sites, but they left all questions unanswered and quickly turned into the typical "you haven't personally rolled with him so you can't have any opinion about him" kind of argument.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thPlanetVegan View Post
    Agreed. There have been threads about it on a couple other sites, but they left all questions unanswered and quickly turned into the typical "you haven't personally rolled with him so you can't have any opinion about him" kind of argument.
    A handful of links and you've got yourself a MABS thread with a simple accusation.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast