Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Fist View Post
    I've noticed something about online college courses if I can make a side bar here. I've noticed that accredited engineering degrees are not offered online anywhere. I think there is a lot to be said that if something is actually worthwhile attaining, you have to put in the required effort, and not take a shortcut.
    I just thought that I should point out that there are several major universities that do offer online engineering degrees like Georgia Tech and University of Colorado at Boulder
    http://www.dlpe.gatech.edu/dl/degrees/
    http://caete.colorado.edu/
    There are plenty more, but you are partially correct; they are all graduate degrees an an undergrad in engineering is required to get into them.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 5:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    It's interesting, I never went that route myself. Never once did I think something I was learning from videos and books would substitute what I was learning in class. I always considered it a compliment. In fact, I always considered my BJJ training as being the foundation for being able to perform the Rubber Guard correctly. I've always been one to let people know that they should experiment and try things out on their own but at the same time, understand that nothing beats having structured training.
    I'm guessing you're 1) not a no-stripe white belt and 2) not going to up and quit your current school if a 10th planet affiliate moved in down the street.

I feel sorry for those no stripe white belts who come out of their basements in a few years and realize that, at most, they have only earned 2 stripes on their white belts. Of course if they do the 10th Planet program, they'll probably be a purple belt. I'm sure they will know all the names of the moves and will have them memorized to a tee. Unfortunately, whether they will be able to apply all of that stuff, is something different.
    The only thing you can do for them is tap the living **** out of them.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    I just thought that I should point out that there are several major universities that do offer online engineering degrees like Georgia Tech and University of Colorado at Boulder
    There are plenty more, but you are partially correct; they are all graduate degrees an an undergrad in engineering is required to get into them.
    Interesting. So basically they feel that if you've proven your skills under a qualified instructor then maybe, just maybe, you've shown enough ability to be able to learn using online training.

(Mind you, again, only certain programs tend to benefit from online training. These are the programs where you can accurately simulate the training, evaluation, feedback, remedial/corrective action online. There is just no way to be able to do that with functional martial arts.

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 5:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    I'm guessing you're 1) not a no-stripe white belt and 2) not going to up and quit your current school if a 10th planet affiliate moved in down the street.
    1) No sir

2) Not a chance. Even when the other BJJ school opened up and I started doing a lot of training there, I never once missed a day at my current school. I doubt very seriously some online ranked 10th Planet JJ purple belt is going to have the experience of the instructors I currently train with.

(hmmm, wonder if I should see if I can get my 10th Planet JJ purple. It will probably cost an arm and a leg (similar to Eddie's seminars).

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    The only thing you can do for them is tap the living **** out of them.
    If it has to be done, then so be it. I'll try really hard not to enjoy it. As my mother used to tell me, "This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you!"

Yeah right...

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 2:18am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    To continue this aside, the Open University in the UK is a very well respected University and does all its courses through open and distance learning. http://www.open.ac.uk - though academic courses lend themselves to study this way, where as sports don't
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD - FMA - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    ...since part 1 was Eddie's apparently lax grading standards.
    What do you expect? The guy's fucking high as a kite most of the time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 2:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thPlanetVegan View Post
    I agree with Kintanon. Online courses are fine, but rank should not be given through them, ever.

Wow. I honestly did not think this kind of thing would happen with the 10th planet system (at least not so quickly), but if it does I'm going to consider looking for a new gym. The fact that someone like Ari can get a purple belt even after demonstrating a lack of ability at 10th planet hollywood against blue belts who are busting their asses in Eddie's class to get the same thing pisses me off, and now it's going to be even worse; they won't even have to go in and ATTEMPT to prove their abilities. They'll just send in a video. So basically, if this happens, Eddie is telling everyone that blue and purple belts in his system mean absolutely nothing. It's only a matter of time until the same is true for a brown belt from him.
    I'm kinda bummed myself to hear about this. I've been planning to train at 10th Planet in Burbank when I move to LA later this month ... I know that one of Eddie's brown belts is the BJJ instructor there, but I don't want to be getting my purple if I haven't truly earned it.

Well, since I'll be training with the Dog Brothers, maybe I should just pursue Machado BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 2:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick & Submit View Post
    I'm kinda bummed myself to hear about this. I've been planning to train at 10th Planet in Burbank when I move to LA later this month ... I know that one of Eddie's brown belts is the BJJ instructor there, but I don't want to be getting my purple if I haven't truly earned it.

Well, since I'll be training with the Dog Brothers, maybe I should just pursue Machado BJJ...
    Check into the history of the brown in question. If he's a guy who has trained directly under Eddie by going to classes regularly and just moved and opened up an affiliate then you are probably ok and good to go.

Plus, since you are probably close to Legends and 10th Planet headquarters, I highly doubt you have to worry about needing to get your 10th online. Eddie would probably be the one to come there directly and promote you. Also, the brown there should be able to promote up to purple or at least blue.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie's teaching in Burbank right now while they redo/move legend's. Coach Alder has been training with Eddie for a long time and was usually there while I was visiting. Can't comment on his ability since I didn't roll with him or see him rolling (because I tried to roll as much as possible...he did roll, i just didn't see it)

Jean Jacques and 10th planet are worlds apart.

Oh, and an FYI. There was a vid with eddie relatviely recently where he says the only belt that matters is black.

YouTube - 10th Planet JJ Promotions June 2009
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 5:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    Eddie's teaching in Burbank right now while they redo/move legend's. Coach Alder has been training with Eddie for a long time and was usually there while I was visiting. Can't comment on his ability since I didn't roll with him or see him rolling (because I tried to roll as much as possible...he did roll, i just didn't see it)

Jean Jacques and 10th planet are worlds apart.

Oh, and an FYI. There was a vid with eddie relatviely recently where he says the only belt that matters is black.

YouTube - 10th Planet JJ Promotions June 2009
    I talked to Alder on the phone last week about training. He seemed like a genuinely cool guy, and I'm sure he's qualified to teach as he's a brown under Eddie. And yeah, it's cool that Eddie is there so often, so I don't think I'll have anything to lose by training my BJJ there.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast