1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Online belt ranking is no different than online sex; you might derive gratification but ultimately you're just by yourself, masturbating.
    Wait, is this for or against?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 6:20pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how much more you value having the real thing.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 7:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no problem with online courses, but I do have a problem with online credentialing of any kind. For any physical pursuit you must have a physical exam. If you study the material for a year, doing the best you can, then spend the time/money to travel to a school with a legit black belt and get evaluated and can pass the EXACT SAME evaluation that the students who attend the live classes take, then you deserve the same belt.
    Video taping yourself doing a bunch of techniqes and mailing that in for evaluation is just not the same thing. No need to rehash this whole thing again.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 8:07pm

Style: 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Kintanon. Online courses are fine, but rank should not be given through them, ever.

Wow. I honestly did not think this kind of thing would happen with the 10th planet system (at least not so quickly), but if it does I'm going to consider looking for a new gym. The fact that someone like Ari can get a purple belt even after demonstrating a lack of ability at 10th planet hollywood against blue belts who are busting their asses in Eddie's class to get the same thing pisses me off, and now it's going to be even worse; they won't even have to go in and ATTEMPT to prove their abilities. They'll just send in a video. So basically, if this happens, Eddie is telling everyone that blue and purple belts in his system mean absolutely nothing. It's only a matter of time until the same is true for a brown belt from him.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 2:56am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Fist View Post
    Had me interested for a second

Oh I see.
    You didn't read very well then. I clearly pointed you in the right direction by mentioning The Teaching Company. They do lectures by actual professors but don't offer credit.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 4:17am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While online testing for something physical is definitely dubious, there is an important difference between Gracie University and 10th Planet online training. Gracie University asks for a video of you demonstrating techniques in a co-operative drill. 10th Planet asks for that too, but in addition wants video of you sparring (from here, as The Underground links don't work for free members):

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo, on The Underground
    You guys are all misunderstanding what's going on here.

My online ranking is not for dudes that just watch tapes and don't actually train. But I do see how you guys could get the wrong idea. "Online Anything" always sounds fishy.

The 10th planet online ranking system is for 10th planet affiliate students that don't have a black belt instructor. Most of my affiliate instructors are browns and purples.

Once a student is approved for evaluation by his instructor, he then has to submit 15 five minute videos of rolling and drilling techniques. Once all 15 videos are approved by the 10th planet council, he gets his blue. But he can't submit any videos for evaluation unless his instructor thinks he's ready for promotion.

My online ranking is also for people that don't live anywhere near a 10th Planet affiliate, and are stuck training at a local gi school or mma academy because they have no other choice.

These are the people at traditional bjj schools and fight clubs that buy my books and dvds. You know them, the rubber guard outcasts that can't wait to jump ship as soon as a 10thpjj affiliate pops up in their town.

This is for them.

There is no way anyone is gonna get ranked by just watching videos and practicing in their living room with their sister, that's not what this is all about
    The exact nature of that rolling needs to be clarified (i.e., is it you at your last competition, or you going light with somebody who has no idea what they're doing), but I think it does mark this out as slightly different from Gracie University.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 11:26am

Style: 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely see the point in having this for people that are actually training at a 10th planet affiliate who won't be able to get promoted because they're instructor is not a black belt, since they need approval first so at least there's that. But the bit about people that don't have a 10th planet school around them and are stuck at a bjj school or whatever, is pretty stupid in my opinion.
    Why do they need this exactly? If they are training at a bjj school, they're belt will transfer if they end up going to a 10th planet school anyway, and what other reason would there be for this other than to get a legit belt? It's completely pointless for those kinds of people. Would they be doing it to be able to say that the blue belt they wear at their gi school is secretly a 10th planet belt? Also, I would think most (if not all) instructors would be offended if a student did this. It's basically saying "I'm taking your class because I have to, not because I want to, and will jump ship as soon as possible."
    The only people that have a legit reason for online grading like that are guys training at 10th planet affiliates in other states (or countries; canada has a few, and australia has one) who can't spend the time and money to fly to Hollywood to pick up a belt and leave. I totally understand that and have no problem with it as long as their instructor approves it. But any other reason for this is bullshido.
    Eddie is getting way ahead of himself. I don't understand why he is trying to spread the system so fast that the legitimacy of the belts is brought into question. Does he not realize it's counterproductive?
    I was a true believer in Eddie and his system until recently; I couldn't wait to earn a belt from him. But now, after this and the Ari situation, I don't know if it will mean anything to me. It doesn't seem to mean anything to Eddie.
    Last edited by 10thPlanetVegan; 8/02/2009 11:40am at .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thPlanetVegan View Post
    I definitely see the point in having this for people that are actually training at a 10th planet affiliate who won't be able to get promoted because they're instructor is not a black belt, since they need approval first so at least there's that. But the bit about people that don't have a 10th planet school around them and are stuck at a bjj school or whatever, is pretty stupid in my opinion.
    Why do they need this exactly? If they are training at a bjj school, they're belt will transfer if they end up going to a 10th planet school anyway, and what other reason would there be for this other than to get a legit belt? It's completely pointless for those kinds of people. Would they be doing it to be able to say that the blue belt they wear at their gi school is secretly a 10th planet belt? Also, I would think most (if not all) instructors would be offended if a student did this. It's basically saying "I'm taking your class because I have to, not because I want to, and will jump ship as soon as possible."
    The only people that have a legit reason for online grading like that are guys training at 10th planet affiliates in other states (or countries; canada has a few, and australia has one) who can't spend the time and money to fly to Hollywood to pick up a belt and leave. I totally understand that and have no problem with it as long as their instructor approves it. But any other reason for this is bullshido.
    Eddie is getting way ahead of himself. I don't understand why he is trying to spread the system so fast that the legitimacy of the belts is brought into question. Does he not realize it's counterproductive?
    I was a true believer in Eddie and his system until recently; I couldn't wait to earn a belt from him. But now, after this and the Ari situation, I don't know if it will mean anything to me. It doesn't seem to mean anything to Eddie.
    Unfortunately, it seems that Eddie just cares about getting the 10th Planet name and the system out there. I'm sure he figures that if he lowers the standards, it can disseminate faster. I'm sure he probably figures that once its out there, then he can worry about quality control. The problem is, it just doesn't work that way.

I feel sorry for the people who actually train at 10th Planet or under legitimately ranked 10th Planet guys. Basically, they are going to have to defend the system by stating that they are different from the online ranked people and that they got their rank the "old fashioned" way.

As for having this for affiliates, who don't have a high ranking person there for promotions, I believe that is what seminars are for. Seems to be working for other organizations. If Eddie isn't willing to go to his affiliates and rank those students in person, maybe he shouldn't have those places as affiliates. On the other side of things, if those BJJ players who want to be an affiliate under 10th Planet aren't willing to travel to train and get progressively ranked in the system so that they can then rank their students, then maybe they should look for another organization to be affiliated under.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 3:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally, a program to get the retarded no-stripe white belts that insist on trying to use rubber guard on me out of my gym and back into their basements where they belong. Damn I-don't-want-to-work-on-the-moves-the-intructor-teaches-us kids.

And as always, every Eddie Bravo thread requires this:YouTube - Eddie Bravo compella & the twister - pray music video

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    Finally, a program to get the retarded no-stripe white belts that insist on trying to use rubber guard on me out of my gym and back into their basements where they belong. Damn I-don't-want-to-work-on-the-moves-the-intructor-teaches-us kids.

And as always, every Eddie Bravo thread requires this:YouTube - Eddie Bravo compella & the twister - pray music video
    It's interesting, I never went that route myself. Never once did I think something I was learning from videos and books would substitute what I was learning in class. I always considered it a compliment. In fact, I always considered my BJJ training as being the foundation for being able to perform the Rubber Guard correctly. I've always been one to let people know that they should experiment and try things out on their own but at the same time, understand that nothing beats having structured training.

I feel sorry for those no stripe white belts who come out of their basements in a few years and realize that, at most, they have only earned 2 stripes on their white belts. Of course if they do the 10th Planet program, they'll probably be a purple belt. I'm sure they will know all the names of the moves and will have them memorized to a tee. Unfortunately, whether they will be able to apply all of that stuff, is something different.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast