Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:26am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Universal Combat Academy?

My google/search-fu may be weak, but I am looking for background on Universal Combat Academy in Castle Hill, NSW, Australia, run by Simon Farnsworth a BJJ black belt.
    www.bjj-castlehill.com
    I have checked out a class and intend to return, as I was owned and want to learn more. The instructor gave me no reason to doubt he knew what he was doing and the fact that his gi and belt represented his affiliation with Will-Machado patches comforted my disturbed bully brain.
    However, I am a different person to the one who originally signed up to an account on Bullshido (I read my history today, so disappointed with me), I now require a little thing called evidence. I, unfortunately, do not possess the freedom of internets many people enjoy, due to work and also a limited knowledge of how things on the world wide web work (I pretty much stumbled on this site and never left).
    Anyway, my questions are these:

1. In the website it says he is certified under the Universal Combat Academies Mixed Martial Arts System. Is this a recognised system?

2. Is there any way to verify the black belt other than asking him? I have no reason to doubt him and do not wish to get off on the wrong foot by asking him to verify his credentials, when I'm sure a Will-Machado black belt is easy to trace.

3. Has anyone trained there and would like to give their opinion?

Thanks in advance...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 10:17am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he's on the will/machado bjj australasia site as a blackbelt under anthony lange. anthony lange is listed on the same site as a bb, but it doesn't give his lineage.

http://www.bjj.com.au/main/?page_id=55

good luck

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 11:32am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screw tje lineage ****. If you went there and you say he knows what he is doing, then sign up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    er, hadda laugh at that one. screw lineage? some people care, that's why i noted it.

he says the guy knows what he's doing. if he's a bjj newb, how would he know what the guy is doing?

am i missing some intended biting sarcasm here?

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 6:57pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nohero, if you and I both missed it, sempaiman's sarcasm probably wasn't that biting. I am a BJJ newb, but I am not completely oblivious. I know what I am looking for when it comes to the ground game, after all, I've seen all the UFC's.
    THAT'S sarcasm.
    So, no one knows anything about the Universal Combat Academy system?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 7:36pm

Style: Anything Goes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The next closest thing that's revealed in the google is a Universal Combat Arts Academy in Ireland. They look to Dillman. 'nuff said.

Inputting 'Universal Combat Academies Mixed Martial Arts System' doesn't turn up anything related to this school. He does have video on the site... but I don't know enough about BJJ to tell if the technique is any good.

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 8:50pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn Dillman. Hopefully UCA is not connected to UCAA. Can any experienced BJJers check out the video for quality verification? It would be greatly appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Nohero, if you and I both missed it, sempaiman's sarcasm probably wasn't that biting. I am a BJJ newb, but I am not completely oblivious. I know what I am looking for when it comes to the ground game, after all, I've seen all the UFC's.
    THAT'S sarcasm.
    see? that i get, cuz like, ya know, i've seen the matrix like sixty-five million dozen times and now can fly and stop bullets with my mind.

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:43pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attended UCA MMA class last night. My concerns with the class were merely that I had never heard of UCA as a fight system and that a grappler was teaching striking. These concerns were quickly dismissed in the first five minutes of the class and as the haze descended over me from lack of oxygen, I knew I had found my final training place.
    When I walked in I felt as though I was being sized up, no one introduced themselves but they all seemed to know each other and I wasn't about to be a third wheel so I warmed up on my own. However, as class progressed I became comfortable with everyone, introducing myself, touching gloves, punching, kicking and being punched and kicked. As good an introduction as you can get in my opinion.
    My kicks sucked, the chambering I had so desperately resisted in TKD was now ingrained in muscle memory (damn you examination requirements). The fact that I almost lost my instinct to check kicks worried me, when I did Muay Thai it was a strong part of my strategy for countering. My legs used to be like rock, today they feel like rubber.
    I sparred with the instructor, Simon, for about a minute at the end of the class, but by then my cardio had failed, my right calf muscle had started cramping and I was wrestling with the contents of my stomach trying to keep them pinned. I distinctly remember getting one punch in where I then stupidly paused to acknowledge myself for good work before my head snapped back several times and I understood that although I had a background in standing arts, it meant nothing if I had a point sparring mentality.
    At no stage did I feel ego played a part in Simon's sparring prowess, something I cannot say for some of the TMA's I have studied. He recognised I was tired and ragged, took the time to chat to me about going at my own pace, providing encouragement and generally being a good bloke.
    Before I knew it the class was over and I was pumped, even though I was wrecked.
    There was combination work, takedowns (thank god for my rugby background), sprawling (this I gotta work on savagely), sprawl reversals (?, that's obviously not the term, what I mean is when someone has sprawled on your takedown and you slip out and take their back, using their downward force against them, a skill I also need to work on) and of course lots and lots of sparring with different dudes of different size and skill. All in all, the class rocked.
    At the end, everyone shook hands and once again, ego did not seem to come into play. A good thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 2:00pm

Style: Anything Goes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! Sounds like this place turned out to be all right. I'm glad for you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast