Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Don't want to dis the whole group of schools

I checked this place out for a few months. I thought I was the only one that thought this. Everything said here is true to my experience. I mean there are a few people that have high belts so they must have been there for a long time but the guy just talks or we are doing grappling stuff. Nothing against grappling but I wanted self defense. I thought ground stuff was brazilian jujitsu but I guess american is too. Anyone know the difference then? My belt list had self defense things on it but they were never taught until two weeks before the test. There is another school in commack that I was going to check out but. I left after a few belt tests. I am so glad I wasn't the only one that felt this way. I see some high belts rolling their eyes but thought it was something else. I checked Kazan around the corner. Good stuff and even has sword. Not that I can do that now or even interested but what a relief. THought there was something wrong with me.

There are plenty of bags so I gave it a 3 but we didnt use them. The class sizes were small but I don't think that was a good thing. The training was very alive. You paired off to grapple but you were encouraged to comply completely and not given the ability to go live. The students were nice. No weapons training. Lots of grappling but the same stuff everytime. Didnt really join for grappling as I said earlier. I edited this b/c after reading other posts wanted to be constructive and not sound like a troll.
    Last edited by gmack; 10/05/2009 11:20pm at .

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 8:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu, Looang Fu Pai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. I am a former student from Deer Park Dojo. I've trained there for close to ten years, earned my shodan and instructed for 3+years. I am responding to say that what everyone is posting here is just about right on the money. BUT dont blame the system, the system is sound and effective. The head instructor in question is the "bad apple" of the system. The training that I went through was not what is being offered today. He used to be the instrcutor that everyone wanted to learn from and we did learn, but things just go the way they go and the true man comes out in pressured times. If anyone chooses look into the other schools in the system their teachings are what I came up with and you will learn self defense as per the belt list. please dont let the one "bad apple" spoil the whole system. for gmack kazan is a good palce to train.

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bud told me this waz up and had to holla out. I worked out for a while there. Agreed with all said. Gmack from my experience there american jj is a watered down brazilian jj. I hear bjj belts are hard to get. There were a lot of belts and easy to get. Most work was on the ground but as stated earlier no live trainin at all. Kind of weird class setup. 45 minutes classes half talking the rest doing a few ground moves. I spent just under 2oo smacks a month for a couple classes a week and weak they were. Still looking for traditional jiujitsu stuff but haven't found it yet. I know this is a chain of schools but how does a bad apple happen? Wish my money was still in my flap. Could of gotten new kiks or done something better wit it.

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truth is the reality of your experiences. I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences in training and I am not going to try to alter your opinion. I can say I have been training in this system for many years and have had experiences in the other dojos. American Jiu Jitsu is a scenario based self defense system based on traditional jiu jitsu techniques. It is not a version, brother or split of brazilian jiu jitsu. Achieving rank takes hard work, persistence and dedication. I respect the opinions of those stated but I have to say mine is different having been in the other dojos. While it is a "chain" school which typically connotates a negative stereotype, there are several locations with different instructors. If this makes it a "chain" school then so be it. We all search for the knowledge and skills we aspire for so if you didn't get that, continue your quest. I can assure you as jitsuka stated the system is great. We must have crossed paths in the past. Feel free if you are one of those that was not happy with the Deer Park Dojo to check out one of the other locations. There are two other youtube videos from the other locations that clearly represent the art. Do a little legwork and find them. I repeat I respect the opinions stated earlier and I am not looking to get into an arguement about your experiences. I am just looking to clear the record about the system. Keep searching and train hard.

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 3:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No disrespect. I am sure things are good with the other schools.
    Last edited by gmack; 10/07/2009 7:00am at .

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not wat I seen. I feel ya bro. If people like it then right. Maybe ill check out another one of the schools.

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 10:24pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu/Wing Chun/Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
    Could of gotten new kiks or done something better wit it.
    Find the right school and it may change your life! I am sorry to hear of your experience, but American Jiu Jitsu is a great street effective self defense system and not a watered down version of BJJ. Don't base your experience at this school as grounds to judge the whole system.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 10:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the deal? Are you all posting from the school computer?

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 10:29pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin no Shin View Post
    American Jiu Jitsu is a great street effective self defense system
    Don't. Not here.

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 7:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I could comment about "the system" but every school represents the "system". From my expereince working with someone on the ground with their legs wrapped aroung your body in a non live situation isn't self defense. I think we did the same 3 moves for three months. No disrespect for bjj but it wasn't even that. There is nothing real self defense about that especially when I wasn't shown how to deal with more common attacks. My list had stuff on it but as I posted earlier it wasn't taught. Not trying to judge other schools but if this doesn't represent the "system"american jujitsu then why is it called so?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast