Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 9:25pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about reverse breathing, but I do know that one of the most widely taught stress management skills (at least in my training as a clinical psychologist) is "diaphragmatic breathing" which involves teaching individuals to breath by expanding their belly first and then the chest when inhaling and to focus on the bodily sensations of relaxation when exhaling. This technique has also been taught be sport psychologists to individuals competing in pistol shooting or other sports that require a steady, calm body. I'm not sure if this technique would apply to combat sports or not, as being more relaxed and calm does not necessarily translate into better performance.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 12:22am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    I don't know anything about reverse breathing, but I do know that one of the most widely taught stress management skills (at least in my training as a clinical psychologist) is "diaphragmatic breathing" which involves teaching individuals to breath by expanding their belly first and then the chest when inhaling and to focus on the bodily sensations of relaxation when exhaling. This technique has also been taught be sport psychologists to individuals competing in pistol shooting or other sports that require a steady, calm body. I'm not sure if this technique would apply to combat sports or not, as being more relaxed and calm does not necessarily translate into better performance.
    Reverse breathing is exactly the opposite. You expand the chest cavity as wide as the ribs allow, then compress your belly when inhaling and expend the belly when exhaling. With practice and a strong core, you basically have no visible movement except at the solar plexus, which goes in and out. Doesn't Rickson do some in his yoga during the movie "Choke"?

I can draw a diagram of it though.........

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 3:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st of all, I like the old school dnd name, lol.

2nd, yes I believe it is like you say, but do you know anyone who actually does it? and whether or not it works?

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 2:00pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    I've practiced it many times and find it very uncomfortable and anti-intuitive. I consider it bullshido. That being said, being relaxed and calm does not necessarily translate into better performance, but I can guarantee you that being all wound up an excited can cause you to make a lot of mistakes.

Reminds me of when I was playing some video game and the marines are being told "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." by their officer. Good stuff.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from about 1:34 on, various breathing methods,.....

YouTube - Rickson Gracie Workout

he appears to contract the ab's on the inhale for many of these.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's some crazy ab action. I have heard of lots of breath exercises, some of which could be potentially dangerous without proper instruction...this looks like it might fall into that catagory. But what I am really looking for is someone who actually uses it in a fight. I believe its good for meditation or even pain control (like doing yoga and holding a pose for a long time, reverse breath takes your mind off the pain) but can it work in fighting?

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 4:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love yoga and did it for years because it helped my flexibility and helps with synchronization of breathing and movement. Breath out on the strike, breath in on the chamber. I've never liked reverse breathing and think it's a waste of time. Just do yoga. Or grapple. Nothing makes you aware of what kind of condition you are in and the need to relax like defending a choke-hold.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 6:31am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongkongFooie View Post
    That's some crazy ab action. I have heard of lots of breath exercises, some of which could be potentially dangerous without proper instruction...this looks like it might fall into that catagory. But what I am really looking for is someone who actually uses it in a fight. I believe its good for meditation or even pain control (like doing yoga and holding a pose for a long time, reverse breath takes your mind off the pain) but can it work in fighting?
    I've practiced reverse breathing enough that it becomes instinct in a lot of cases. It doesn't make me shoot out chi balls or anything, but a I think it is useful.

I rockclimb and whenever I take a fall, I exhale reverse-style. It seems to soften the impact. I have found myself doing it by instinct when I fail to block a punch--just a medium weight punch to the body, but again it seems to help.

In throwing a punch I would use that technique. I have more experience with stand up grappling and it is useful in throws or defending throws. It may even be of use in ground fighting... not sure on that one. I'll defer that question to Rickson.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing makes you aware of what kind of condition you are in and the need to relax like defending a choke-hold.

I agree with this 100% but I think the idea behind reverse breathing in a fight is a) unifies the entire body in a strike and b) forms a nice defensive barrier while your most vulnerable, that is, during an attack.

I've practiced reverse breathing enough that it becomes instinct in a lot of cases. It doesn't make me shoot out chi balls or anything, but a I think it is useful.

I rockclimb and whenever I take a fall, I exhale reverse-style. It seems to soften the impact. I have found myself doing it by instinct when I fail to block a punch--just a medium weight punch to the body, but again it seems to help.

In throwing a punch I would use that technique. I have more experience with stand up grappling and it is useful in throws or defending throws. It may even be of use in ground fighting... not sure on that one. I'll defer that question to Rickson.

So you would say its not bullishido. Interesting. Do you practice reverse breathing while working out or just when meditating? You say it helps with throws, is this because it helps you root better?

Loving Father

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    I've practiced it many times and find it very uncomfortable and anti-intuitive. I consider it bullshido. That being said, being relaxed and calm does not necessarily translate into better performance, but I can guarantee you that being all wound up an excited can cause you to make a lot of mistakes.

Reminds me of when I was playing some video game and the marines are being told "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." by their officer. Good stuff.
    Video games? wtf!?

First off, I don't think you're doing it correctly,
    and secondly, it's not Rickson's yoga breathing.

The term "Reverse breathing" is different in jma
    and cma. The jma version is harsher in karate
    and longer in aikido (two jma's I learned it in).
    The cma version seems to be similar through a
    few different arts, but, comfortable and intuitive
    with specifically daoist arts.

Some daoist sects use reverse breathing as a
    chi kung within thier forms, as it relates both to
    timing, and protection as your energy is moving.

The only Western exercise I have ever found a
    similar idea/feeling to occur is during a squat. As
    you approach the bottom of the exercise, and start
    to push the weight up, whether or not you blow
    out your air, or hold your breath, you still push out
    your abdomen instinctively, to assist in stabilizing
    your core. This serves the same purpose in tma's -
    core stabilization under pressure.

my $0.02
    `~/

btw - yes, I've practiced it for over 25 years.
    Continual breathing leads to more oxygen, better blood
    flow, less lactic acid buidup, and better performance.
    Last edited by Meex; 8/31/2009 6:53pm at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast