Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:02pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ambiguity in the use of the word "to train"

This is such a minor nit that I almost didn't post it, but for some reason it has been coming up a lot lately, maybe because I've been training more, and so I've used training as my reason for not doing other things with friends more often.

Whenever I tell people "I train Muay Thai," or "I train Jiu-Jitsu," especially when talking to people who don't train, they usually think I mean that I am a teacher of one of those martial arts. But among people I know who train, it is almost always used to mean that they "practice" such-and-such martial art, and that is the way I have been using the word.

For some reason though, saying "I practice Muay Thai" sounds douchy to me. Is it just me? For those of you who don't teach a martial art, but train in it, what do you tell your friends and family that you are doing when you are training?

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never had that problem.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:13pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tell them I'm training. I've never, ever had any sort of confusion regarding that.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:14pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do x

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    This is such a minor nit that I almost didn't post it, but for some reason it has been coming up a lot lately, maybe because I've been training more, and so I've used training as my reason for not doing other things with friends more often.

Whenever I tell people "I train Muay Thai," or "I train Jiu-Jitsu," especially when talking to people who don't train, they usually think I mean that I am a teacher of one of those martial arts. But among people I know who train, it is almost always used to mean that they "practice" such-and-such martial art, and that is the way I have been using the word.

For some reason though, saying "I practice Muay Thai" sounds douchy to me. Is it just me? For those of you who don't teach a martial art, but train in it, what do you tell your friends and family that you are doing when you are training?
    You're right, if you just say "I train ..." then it's ambiguous as to whether you're a trainer or a trainee.

It would be clearer if you said "I train in ..." whatever style.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 4:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just tell them you like cookies.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 4:11pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it useful for my situation to discuss mma.

I do judo, because I also compete.
    I train MMA because I just work out and spar, I don't fight.

Tense problem aside of course.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I like the word practice because it's humble. Piano practice, baseball practice, practice my Karate, etc. etc. "Train" often has an implied "I'm hardcore yo" attached to it.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 6:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post

You are in San Francisco I notice... sometimes region has something to do with how you state something and how people respond. People here are generally martial arts savy so I don't know.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So . . . in San Francisco, maybe he should tell them he's "Awakening to his true self through martial training" or possibly "Self-actualizing within a Muay Thai paradigm."
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast