Thread: Western Martial Arts Illustrated
7/30/2009 12:52pm, #1
Western Martial Arts Illustrated
Figured I'd plug this magazine - http://www.wmaillustrated.com/ . Professional quality articles and production values, i.e. closer to the "Journal of Asian Martial Arts" than to "Black Belt".
Upcoming articles include:
• distinctive counters of the English longsword, by Ben Roberts;
• Venezuelan machete fighting, by Prof. Bruno Cruicchi;
• Thomas Page's principles for single broadsword, by Christopher Scott Thompson;
• Renaissance pike drill, by Bill Elder;
• backsword versus smallsword, by Dr. Milo Thurston;
• the montante (the Iberian greatsword), by Eric Myers, et al;
• Paulus Hector Mair's scythe, by Szabolcs Waldmann;
• the traditional Sicilian fighting system, by Antonio Merendoni;
• American catch wrestling, by Dr. Les Moore;
• the wrestling of Master Ott the Jew, by Jessica Finley;
• an overview of pre-20th century American fighting arts, by Pete Kautz
• Hutton and Castle's historical fencing work, by Tony Wolf.
7/30/2009 12:56pm, #2
Very cool! I wonder if I can use my pseudocelebrity status to get a complimentary subscription.
For, you know, research.
7/30/2009 7:06pm, #3
Is Scott still publishing this? I haven't seen one in forever. When they come out they are great.
I'd like to finally see a write-up of Guy's take on posta de bicornio - I *think* it's pretty close to what we've worked out but until I see it...
7/30/2009 7:20pm, #4
7/30/2009 7:22pm, #5