Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Spector View Post
    What kind of kempo does your son take? I've heard the name "kempo" applied to everything from badass fight clubs to bootleg LARPing.

Unfortunately we do train at a well known chain mcdojo. Fortunately, our instructor doesn't really drink the kool-aid. For those of us he trusts not to get butthurt when we get hit or go all legal when we get hurt we train in a much more alive manner. This does include a few of the kids. On any give week I will do 3-5 hours of medium to hard contact sparring and 2-3 hours of compliant drilling/kata. There is also a bit of light sparring thrown in. We do not do point sparring. We also do not do ground work which is good for me and my bad knees.

Overall I would say we are not a hard-core fight club because we are mostly recreational and just like to hit each other a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 2:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think 12 is plenty old enough to shattering his dreams, breaking his little heart and letting him know how the world really works. Be honest with him.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take him to a muay thai place where they have kids muay thai and have him spar. That was enough to convince me TKD training was useless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 2:57pm

Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it.
    If he changes now he will still have to train 2-4 years to get a TKD BB. He can get his own kempo BB in the same period of time.
    so changing the MA's won't do him any good at this moment.
    so it is too late for him to be poisoned by some bullshidious martial art.
    Nice!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they understand that it is more like ballet or gymnastics than a martial art and were drawn to it for that reason. I just don't think the kids get it and I am sure the parents of the other kids won't understand any more than the kids do.
    ding ding ding

Use this in your approach, and show him ballet videos vs tkd vids

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:09pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
    I had a moment yesterday when I finally realized bullshido is more infectious than the swine flu. If left unchecked it will consume an entire generation of our children.

My 12yr old son has been doing kempo for about 4 years now and, if he sticks with it and works hard, is looking at at least another 4 years to black belt. He and I spar regularly because he doesn't get enough in class and he is starting to get pretty good. I thought he was enjoying it.

Yesterday almost made me cry when he told me he wants to stop his current training and switch to TKD. After working on him for a while I found out that a girl in his class, also 12, just got a BB in TKD. He thinks that is awesome and if he starts TKD he will be closer to his goal than if he continues his current work.

He showed me an email thread that he was on with the girl and a bunch of their class. More than a few of the kids have asked where she got it. They are planning to ask their parents to let them train at the same school. It looks like bullshido breeds more bullshido, it's scary.

I don't want to just tell him that TKD is a load of crap because I know the girls parents and don't really want to piss them off. I think they understand that it is more like ballet or gymnastics than a martial art and were drawn to it for that reason. I just don't think the kids get it and I am sure the parents of the other kids won't understand any more than the kids do.

How, in today's society of instant gratification, do you get kids to understand that there isn't really an end goal in a MA? How the hell can you compete with a quick BB for kids that don't understand the difference between alive training and LARPing when the parents don't know either?

Are you sure its not just that public school spreads this form of infection readily , even actively, and as such is an questionable training method?
    Last edited by 8bit; 7/30/2009 3:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:15pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Looks like it's time to sit down with your son and watch UFC 1-10.
    Bullshido version of The Talk? :psyduck:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:16pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
    After working on him for a while I found out that a girl in his class, also 12, just got a BB in TKD. He thinks that is awesome and if he starts TKD he will be closer to the girl he has a crush on
    My theory, anyway...

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBeakFist View Post
    My theory, anyway...
    Ooooooh, good catch.

"Hey, wanna come over to my house and work on TKD?"

Your son's a pimp, Foolish. Dayum.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, why don't you take him to the TKD dojang on sparring night and have him match up, style for style, with a 12 y/o TKD BB with roughly 4 yrs. of training and see how your son fairs?

If your son handles the TKD BB easily, your son is probably be smart enough, at 12, to draw his own conclusion. If the 12 y/o TKD BB handles your son, perhaps you might have found a dojang that doesn't fit neatly within the preconceived notions of "TKD".

Either way, the best way for someone's mind to be made up is for them to make it up themselves.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast